Publix is packed!!

Closed Thread
Old 02-28-2013, 11:50 AM
Veteran member
Default Publix is packed!!

JUST RETURNED from Publix. When are they EVER going to build shopping for new area?? The store is getting so crowded. I felt like I was shopping during Xmas week !! What is going on that it is taking so long with so many new residents out there???
Old 02-28-2013, 11:55 AM
Veteran member

Publix and other stores will be crowded between now and early next week because it is turnover time...thousands of renters will pour in over the weekend, all of whom head for the store to stock up. We do need a new store along 466A but Sweetbay pulled out because of their financial problems at the corporate level and Publix is on hold for unknown reasons.
Poughkeepsie, NY;Buckhannon, WV;Oak Bluffs, Mass;Suitland, MD;Salt Point, NY;Camp Lejeune, NC;Highland, NY;Manassas, VA;Colchester, VT;Brookfield, CT;Tucson, AZ;Brookfield, CT;The Villages, FL; Vietnam-1967 USMC
Old 02-28-2013, 12:08 PM
Default Publix

Remember the Publix's ad came out yesterday, so today Publix's maybe crowded.
Try shopping at another time of the day or shop at another grocery store.
Just be happy that you live in The Villages.
Janet
Old 02-28-2013, 12:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,509 Times in 1,909 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

It will get a little less crowded come April one when the high season is over.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,784 Times in 1,387 Posts

spring breakers/visitors are adding to the crowding.

However what is apparently different regarding building of new stores in the "new" areas....The new shopping centers usually anchored by Publix were under construction and or already in before the new construction areas got under way.

Colony Plaza for example was done long before the area nearby was starting to be actively built upon.

One would think by now or before now there would be some similar shopping built around the Brownwood area. Not even a measuring stake in the ground yet (just kidding...I don't know that). But there is a definite change in the patter of new areas and associated shopping evolving compared to the past.

Hopefully it is not another sign/indicator of how differently the developer is conducting bussiness now as they approach build out.

btk
Old 02-28-2013, 12:24 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
spring breakers/visitors are adding to the crowding.

However what is apparently different regarding building of new stores in the "new" areas....The new shopping centers usually anchored by Publix were under construction and or already in before the new construction areas got under way.

Colony Plaza for example was done long before the area nearby was starting to be actively built upon.

One would think by now or before now there would be some similar shopping built around the Brownwood area. Not even a measuring stake in the ground yet (just kidding...I don't know that). But there is a definite change in the patter of new areas and associated shopping evolving compared to the past.

Hopefully it is not another sign/indicator of how differently the developer is conducting bussiness now as they approach build out.

btk
I agree. What in the world is going on that they keep building more and more homes and still NOTHING at Browntown (except movie and one city grill) and NO grocery stores etc.. They already need all of this The population out there has exploded already!!
Old 02-28-2013, 12:26 PM
Veteran member

can't blame it all on the rental , snowbirds. It's NEW RESIDENTS MOVING IN out there and they are FULL TIME. they already need new grocery stores, restaurants, bowling alley, dancing, softball fields etc... New residents are moving into St James , Sanibel, Gilcrest, Pinellas, etc..... They need shopping plus!!
Old 02-28-2013, 12:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,509 Times in 1,909 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

The developer cannot force a business to come. He can build a building for them if they commit. No change...same old modus operandi.

There were plans by Sweetbay to build by the municipal building and the library on 466A and then they began closing stores, so I would guess that their plans to build more is on hold.

You wait and see, Publix will build a store soon. I feel it in my bones.

But don't blame the Morses. It is always to their business advantage to build buildings to lease but you have to have businesses to say they will occupy those buildings.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:41 PM
Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartnsoul View Post
can't blame it all on the rental , snowbirds. It's NEW RESIDENTS MOVING IN out there and they are FULL TIME. they already need new grocery stores, restaurants, bowling alley, dancing, softball fields etc... New residents are moving into St James , Sanibel, Gilcrest, Pinellas, etc..... They need shopping plus!!
And don't forget more churches. Why doesn't the developer make some lots available for more churches to be built? There are eight different denominations on Villages property north of 466 and not one church south of 466.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:54 PM
Veteran member

This is Publix BOGO Day 1 and every penny pincher is out there for the pot of gold (you'd think).
Old 02-28-2013, 12:56 PM
Sage

Obviously, the churches and businesses have not expressed a desire to expand any further at this time. How about shopping at Winn-Dixie in wildwood ?
Old 02-28-2013, 01:00 PM
Sage

I was there with you about the same time and it was crazy, but not much crazier than any other day in high season. I really, really dislike it, but what are you gonna do? Of course it doesn't help they have to be in the aisles restocking shelves, but no way to get around that.

BTW - if there are BOGO they are all week long so that shouldn't contribute to the problem.
Old 02-28-2013, 02:23 PM
Gold member

I think one difference between the construction of Colony Plaza retail area and the area around Brownwood is that when Colony was constructed, there were a lot of potential customers already in place (i.e., the area south of Sumter Landing) and even more being actively built (Hadley, Hemingway, etc.) For these people, Colony became the most convenient place to shop.

Brownwood on the other hand is quite aways from where most of the construction has been going on (closer to 466A). Hence, for most of the new residents, Colony would still be the closer place to shop than Brownwood. Since Publix already has a semi-monopoly on that market, there is little incentive for them to compete with themselves by putting in another store that would actually be less convenient than the Colony store. Now that I see some construction of houses going on closer to Brownwood, this situation will likely change in the future.
Old 02-28-2013, 02:30 PM
Veteran member

There are 4 Publix, 2 Walmarts, 2 Winn Dixies and one Sweetbay all within 13 miles of each other! How many more do we need?????
Old 02-28-2013, 02:33 PM
Email Reported As Spam

I am surprised that people are surprised of the over-crowding in The Villages. Best suffer in silence because it is only going to get worse and worse for 12 of 12 months.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.