Have you tried six inch golf holes?

Closed Thread
Old 07-02-2014, 06:15 AM
Veteran member

I don't get it. If you are playing golf why not keep the course regulation? Makes little sense to me. I agree folks need to play from the right tee though. Come on people we do not hit the ball as far has the younger folks. Admit it and you will enjoy the game more.
Old 07-02-2014, 06:31 AM
Platinum member

I have been told that size doesn't matter. Is that just another Village rumor?

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 07-02-2014, 06:33 AM
Default almost twice the size... "Kindergarten Golf"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
If as reported there is no appreciable difference between a 6"hole and a 4 1/4"then why bother?
The area of the 6-inch holes are nearly twice as large as the 4.5-inch holes (exactly 1.8 times larger). Haven't play the 6-inch holes yet, but being twice the size should make it a completely different game. Maybe it should be called "Kindergarten Golf", or "Kinder-Golf"
Old 07-02-2014, 07:14 AM
Gold member

Why stop at 6" lets go for 8" maybe even larger. bring the tees up 20 yards
Old 07-02-2014, 07:43 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

I thought the original idea behind the 6 inch holes was to encourage more people to try golf. This is something that's been done outside of the villages, correct? I agree that I don't see how this experiment speeds up the game. I personally don't see what the big deal is. No one has forced me too play these 6 inch holes. If I don't want to play them I won't.
Old 07-02-2014, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwann View Post
Okay, tell me again what this hopes to achieve. It doesn't speed up the pace of play, and I doubt fewer putts are sunk over all.

I played Palmetto today and the marshal apologized for the slow pace. The group ahead of us had three holes open in front of them. Slow play is typical on weekends and during the winter. He agreed, larger holes don't mean much when players take 8 shots to reach the green on a par 3 and can't ever get out of bunkers.

If the goal is to make golf more enjoyable for new players and speed the pace of play, marshals and starters should remind players that beginners and high handicappers shouldn't worry too much about score; pick up the ball after double par and move on.
seriously slow play then the group should have to skip the next hole. TV golf etiquette suggests that after 6 shots you pick up and leave that hole
Old 07-02-2014, 11:25 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts

It appears that most agree that the six inch hole will do little to speed up the game or for that matter increase the fun of playing golf. Therefore, it seems pretty much DOA.

For experienced golfers I think we were hoping it would help speed up slow-play but for thoses who have tried the six inch holes that doesn't seem the case.
Old 07-02-2014, 11:21 PM
Veteran member

If the object is to make it easier and for people to get better scores, then I have a better idea. Just replace the hole with a trench. Maybe 5-6 feet long and perhaps 3-4 wide. Lots more holes-in-one and certainly putting shouldn't be that difficult. Even lousy players can get great scores. Then give everyone a trophy... maybe even audience members.

Slaughter on 10th Avenue (and more) -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMo6w...gbuFRTT06nS9pn
Old 07-03-2014, 06:48 AM

Hey I am social golfer and you are right, my rule is that Im playing great if Im not holding up play!!!!
Old 07-03-2014, 09:11 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

I' m curious how many well experienced golfers here in the villages observe a less experienced golfer and offer suggestions to play ready golf or are just intolerant of others. I've seen a little of both here in the villages is why I ask.
Old 07-03-2014, 09:22 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwann View Post
The group ahead of us had three holes open in front of them.

When this happens to me I just skip to the next hole AHEAD of that group and play on with no interruption. You don't have to wait behind them if you don't want to. As long as you don't become the bottleneck also. I do this a lot when it's just my wife and I since I know we won't slow anyone down.
Old 07-18-2014, 08:38 AM

I did that once and the ambassador came by and fussed at us and said we couldn't do that. Just so you know... and in response to your original question, we have played big holes 2 times and thought they were a lot of fun. I hope they keep them and let the purists go pound sand. There are 32 ex courses, if 1 day a week of staying off the 2 easiest courses here bothers them that much, they have bigger problems than 6 inch holes.
Old 07-18-2014, 09:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,784 Times in 1,387 Posts

any rationale about the size of the hole on the green affecting the speed of play is a very serious stretch of one's thought process.

I also think the time worn subject of pace of play is out of place where the average age (and ability) on the golf course do no relate to the club one belonged to back home.

The introduction of a different size hole is a classic example of fixing something that is not really broken.

If all want to encourage more new golfers, increase the pace of play and what ever else bugs SOME.....they should be looking into a bigger ball!!!!
Old 07-18-2014, 10:10 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH57 View Post
I' m curious how many well experienced golfers here in the villages observe a less experienced golfer and offer suggestions to play ready golf or are just intolerant of others. I've seen a little of both here in the villages is why I ask.
I can't even get my regular group to play ready golf!

Z

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 07-18-2014, 10:28 AM
Platinum member

Tried the 6" holes at Turtle Mound and found that majority of the holes the day we played were in the most difficult position as possible. All the way in the back or just behind bunkers. This makes faster or more enjoyable golf mute. Why not have a course or two with no bunkers and keep the pins closer to the front? Let the beginners or the higher handicapped golfers enjoy the game more.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.