He could have been dead.

Closed Thread
Old 01-08-2016, 03:45 PM
Veteran member

I got myself a dash cam that I can move between my car and golf cart. The camera doesn't lie. The cost was $100. Maybe I'll post video's of the crazy things I see.
Old 01-08-2016, 03:49 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,682 Times in 632 Posts

When I was in high school, my friend was killed in a car accident. A dog ran in front of the car and the driver tried to avoid it and hit a tree. I swore I would slow down if an animal ran in front of my car, but I would not swerve to either side. to avoid it.

A few years later, I was driving with my future wife one evening and a dog ran in front of us. I slowed down but did not swerve to either side, and I hit the dog really solid. I probably killed it.

If we move to The Villages I guess I will adopt the same policy with golf carts that suddenly appear in front of me. Slow down, but do not swerve.
Old 01-08-2016, 03:51 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,778 Times in 3,645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter123 View Post
I got myself a dash cam that I can move between my car and golf cart. The camera doesn't lie. The cost was $100. Maybe I'll post video's of the crazy things I see.
But I love today's technology but, it can make cameras lie.
Old 01-08-2016, 03:53 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebartle View Post
I read a story this morning that recommends that ALL seniors should ONLY make right turns
That is pretty much what my wife and I do.
Old 01-08-2016, 04:33 PM
Gold member

I have heard that some states have made it illegal to use both ear buds. Probably due to situations like this.

We need full use of all of our senses to ensure that we are safe behind the wheel. Why take the risk?? It is our lives were talking about protecting!!
Old 01-08-2016, 04:35 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Ya dun good, Dotti,

When you used that teachable moment, I bet he heard every word you said and it's all filed away for future reference. I sure hope so, anyway.

Of course, he should have thanked you and apologized profusely. But some people either don't process right away or can't admit being wrong.

You sound classy. I probably would have done a little berserko dance at the mail station.
Old 01-08-2016, 04:45 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VApeople View Post
....A few years later, I was driving with my future wife one evening and a dog ran in front of us. I slowed down but did not swerve to either side, and I hit the dog really solid. I probably killed it.
You didn't stop to find out if you killed the dog? Please tell me you did stop!!!
Old 01-08-2016, 04:50 PM
Default You have reconfirmed my belief in a dashcam

I'm so sorry to hear about what happened. You have reconfirmed why I have a dashcam for my car and golf cart. I just don't trust the way people drive and want this as protection in case I am not as fortunate as you were.
Old 01-08-2016, 06:04 PM
Veteran member
Default Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotti105 View Post
Today at 12:30 I was driving toward Buena Vista on Hendry when I almost hit a golf cart near the Collier Pool/Mail station.

The driver would have been dead. Here's what happened:

1. He was wearing 2 ear buds
2. He made a left turn from the Golf Cart lane
3. He did not look to his left AT ALL!
4. He did not signal

I was directly beside him driving my Prius in the vehicle lane when he basically turned left into me as he turned left from the golf cart lane in to the Mail Center/Pool. Luckily I was able to slam on my brakes in time and missed him by bare inches.

I laid on my horn after the near miss, that is when he to glance at me, not knowing what had just happened.

I thought for sure I was going to hit him. I really don't know how I didn't! It was that close! I am still shaking.

I turned into the other entrance to the Pool/Mail station and stopped at his cart and told him what had happened. He had no idea how close he was to having this day be his last. He was very casual and nonchalant as I reminded him:

Please signal before a turn,
Please enter the traffic lane before turning left
Please look over your shoulder before initiating a turn
Please do not wear both ear buds.

He said "I'm not going to get into an argument with you." I replied, "I am not here to argue with you, just to ask you to be cautious and to let you know that I could have killed you."

He had his name on a club name badge he was wearing, which I will not name here.

Golf Carts are fun, they are everywhere, I love mine and use it every chance I get. But Golf Cart drivers need to be smart and defensive. Obey the rules of the road. Don't forget where you are.

I think his decision to turn into the mail station was a spur of the moment decision. At least I hope it was. But this man had no idea that he could have died today. He was just oblivious!

Be safe and drive defensively out there!!
I love the golf carts but we just sold our electric cart because the area we are in requires us to go onto the busy road with traffic to get to the center and to Publix, the two main places we frequent. After a couple of frightening outings, we decided to sell it. Carts have little if any protection for riders but on designated paths and golf courses, they are fine. It's a bit of a trip for us to get to the above two places and keeping the cart to go a block to the pool didn't make sense, so for safety reasons, it's gone. Seeing the elderly with less than good reflexes making dangerous turns and crossings makes me so very cautious driving and especially in parking lots when they back up without looking behind first. Please be careful out there.
Old 01-08-2016, 07:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,157 Times in 2,251 Posts

And here is the topper, Sunday, leaving Spanish Springs on Avendia Central, a lady in a motorized wheel chair comes out of the shopping center (to my right), ACROSS stopped traffic, to the LEFT turn lane for 441!! I would have stopped, but I was in traffic, no idea what she was doing. Hope she made it to where ever she was going.
Old 01-08-2016, 07:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
And here is the topper, Sunday, leaving Spanish Springs on Avendia Central, a lady in a motorized wheel chair comes out of the shopping center (to my right), ACROSS stopped traffic, to the LEFT turn lane for 441!! I would have stopped, but I was in traffic, no idea what she was doing. Hope she made it to where ever she was going.
I do hope it was a LSV wheelchair and not just the run of the mill motorized chairs. Did it have plates?
But seriously, let's all hope she didn't get hurt
Old 01-08-2016, 07:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,157 Times in 2,251 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
I do hope it was a LSV wheelchair and not just the run of the mill motorized chairs. Did it have plates?
But seriously, let's all hope she didn't get hurt
No plates, and it was one of the typical HOME wheel chairs. Looked like it might go 10 MPH.
Old 01-08-2016, 08:14 PM
Sage

People walk at 3 mph.

"Many people tend to walk at about 1.4 m/s (5.0 km/h; 3.1 mph). Although many people are capable of walking at speeds upwards of 2.5 m/s (9.0 km/h; 5.6 mph), especially for short distances, they typically choose not to. Individuals find slower or faster speeds uncomfortable."
Old 01-08-2016, 10:27 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYGUY View Post
You didn't stop to find out if you killed the dog? Please tell me you did stop!!!
No, we did not stop. We had spent the day at Crescent Beach and were driving back to Gainesville and I hit the dog a little east of Hastings. It was getting dark and it was a busy narrow road with a ditch on the right side. I kept driving.

If I had swerved, I might have hit an oncoming car or drove into the ditch.
Old 01-08-2016, 10:31 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts

Dotti, Good but scary posting - and must commend you for handling the situation as a wise adult. Not sure if my temper could have been diffused. 2 quickies:

1. Yesterday going to the postal station. Was in GC lane following a relatively slow cart ahead of me. About 50' from the left on the road to enter the PO, I signaled and went into the car lane to make the left. About 15' from the turn the GC guy whipped right in front of me and made his left - probably never saw me. It was close but...I didn't confront him in the lot. I saw the driver was in 40s and had his grown son with him - they were going to play bocci...didn't want to start anything, probably a short-term renter or guest...

2. Walking our pooch this afternoon on our street (no GC lane), saw a newer cart with an "older guy" traveling quite slow - like 8mph. Saw him 2 more times, maybe he was going around the block. Then he stopped by me and asked if he should get gas. I was a bit dumbfounded, said I have an elec cart. Then I asked him what his gauge read - got a blank look back. Long story short, he just got here with his wife - renting a house and the cart came with it. He said he was going to Winn Dixie. Well, that would mean he rides on neighborhood streets then Pinellas with GC lane to a tunnel etc etc. I told him that it was a bit complicated to get there but his tank was 1/2 full. Nice guy, but when he putted off I was hoping that he (and others) would be OK. Now I have second thoughts if I should have been more helpful or been strict with him. oh oh. oh well.

Last edited by DeanFL; 01-08-2016 at 10:40 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
left, golf, cart, lane, turn, turned, happened, station, decision, close, idea, mail, today, ear, dead, buds, hit, driving, pool/mail, wearing, signal, killed, cautious, defensively, carts

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.