Headlight Requirements for Golf Carts

Headlight Requirements for Golf Carts

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements

Old 08-14-2019, 03:41 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyOldMan View Post
I suppose the golf carts stay in their lanes and only cross streets where they have marked crossings.

Being on the MMP is not the same as being out in the traffic. Try driving down the "real" street and you face a serious fine, same with going more than 20 mph - you can do it, but you risk a big fine.
With only a couple of exceptions (most of Morse Blvd, is one of those exceptions), golf carts can drive on all the streets in the Villages. They are real, public roads, accessible by normal motor vehicles. Most of them don't have special lanes dedicated to golf carts. The state/county roads prohibit golf cart traffic but they are the exceptions to the rule.

Regardless, I agree that golf cart drivers need to be more aware of their own vehicle. Turn signals ON when turning, OFF when you're done turning, headlights ON at dusk til dawn and when the sky is dark from rain or cloudy skies. Or, just turn them on and drive with them on all the time. That way you never have to forget to turn them on - you only have to remember to turn them off when you're done.

Old 08-14-2019, 03:57 PM
Sage

I see many vehicles driving without their lights on during the rains here!! Cars, trucks and yes golf-carts too. I have said that people bring their bad habits with them. That goes for not signaling, going way over the speed limits and more. It is dangerous not to have your lights on when the torrentials are happening.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-2019, 04:02 PM
Sage

And as a Public Service Reminder...DO NOT USE YOUR EMERGENCY FLASHERS IN RAINSTORMS!

It's illegal.

Hazard Lights Illegal (Click Flashers Here)

Quote:
On a rainy Tampa Bay day, you might notice interstate message boards that read “lights on, hazards off.”

It’s a mandate many drivers ignore, insisting that the hazard lights make themselves more visible to other motorists, and therefore safer. The opposite is true, according to the Florida Highway Patrol.

The FHP explains, turn signals and hazard signals are considered communication devices. Hazard lights alert troopers and other motorists that there’s a crash or broken-down car ahead. When drivers are simply communicating “it’s rainy” it sends the wrong message to other motorists, as well as law enforcement officers.

Moreover, because hazard lights override your vehicle’s turn signals, you’re potentially putting yourself and others in danger. That’s why the use of hazard lights at any time while driving is against the law.
Old 08-14-2019, 04:27 PM
Sage

Quote:
Not enough information. Are they 20mph neighborhood roads, or 35 mph connecting roads.

If they are 35 mph roads/streets then from what I understand if your cart is not a LSL and licensed then you are breaking the law - hence the term "not street legal". Whether the law is enforced, and whether there are exceptions, or whether I am just plain wrong - I don't know.

But, I could certainly could be wrong.

I expect the idea behind a GOLF CARt is to use on a GOLF CORSE not a road. I assume further most people do not play golf too late at night, so headlights would be a seldom used option - but I could be wrong.
You are making a lot of poor assumptions...…….

A suggestion:
The VHA
Golf Cart Safety Clinic
3rd Wednesday 9AM, Colony Cottage

Last edited by Bogie Shooter; 08-14-2019 at 04:36 PM.
Old 08-14-2019, 04:58 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGolfer View Post
I see many vehicles driving without their lights on during the rains here!! Cars, trucks and yes golf-carts too. I have said that people bring their bad habits with them. That goes for not signaling, going way over the speed limits and more. It is dangerous not to have your lights on when the torrentials are happening.
I see most vehicles don’t use turn signals. What’s up with that? Retired from signaling. Worst problem, more so than others. Only a dumbo would not turn on the headlights in rain. Lots of them are here and just lazy, I think
Old 08-14-2019, 05:26 PM

I apologize, I did not realize that The Villages are exempt from Florida laws concerning street legal vehicles.
Old 08-14-2019, 05:39 PM
Gold member

Quote:
I apologize, I did not realize that The Villages are exempt from Florida laws concerning street legal vehicles.
They are not exempt. It's just that on MOST roads in the Villages, golf cart use complies with existing law. In the state of Florida, golf carts may be driven by anyone over 14 years of age on roads where the speed limit is 25mph or lower.

That's a general summary of the part of the state law that applies to the thread.

The speed limit in most of the villages is 25 and lower.

Here's the actual law, on the government website:

Statutes & Constitution
:View Statutes
:

Online Sunshine
Old 08-14-2019, 06:05 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by valuemkt View Post
Of course they are allowed on streets !! They are everywhere .. You have a golf cart lane on major thoroughfares throughout the villages ! You are confusing street legal requirements vs MMPs .. but haven;t you noticed golf cart lanes on every major street within the gates ? how do you suppose golf carts get from their home to a MMP ? or a country club etc ...
Sorry, but Buena Vista, 466 and 466a do not have diamond (cart) lanes.
For each of us, life is a journey. Where has your life taken you? Your entire life leads to the next step, the chance to define yourself by where you're headed, instead of where you stand. Today is the day you introduce yourself to your destiny.
Old 08-14-2019, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
They are not exempt. It's just that on MOST roads in the Villages, golf cart use complies with existing law. In the state of Florida, golf carts may be driven by anyone over 14 years of age on roads where the speed limit is 25mph or lower.

That's a general summary of the part of the state law that applies to the thread.

The speed limit in most of the villages is 25 and lower.

Here's the actual law, on the government website:

Statutes & Constitution
:View Statutes
:

Online Sunshine
Okay, so then my bad above was thinking the limit was 20 mph, and that the roads between neighborhoods were/are 35mph.
Old 08-14-2019, 06:47 PM
Gold member

Location: The Berkshires of Western Massachusetts and the Villages

Quote:
Not enough information. Are they 20mph neighborhood roads, or 35 mph connecting roads.

If they are 35 mph roads/streets then from what I understand if your cart is not a LSL and licensed then you are breaking the law - hence the term "not street legal". Whether the law is enforced, and whether there are exceptions, or whether I am just plain wrong - I don't know.

But, I could certainly could be wrong.

I expect the idea behind a GOLF CARt is to use on a GOLF CORSE not a road. I assume further most people do not play golf too late at night, so headlights would be a seldom used option - but I could be wrong.
Hey GrumpyOldMan, I know you are new to the Villages and are buying in the Villages south, so you have a lot to learn about golf carts in the Villages. Golf carts are a primary source of transportation for many Villagers, not just for golf. In fact, many non-golfers still use golf carts way more than their cars. If we don't need to leave the bubble, we almost never use a car. We go shopping, to concerts and shows, to dinner, to town squares, to the sports pools, to the dog parks, and many other places besides golfing in our carts.

Also, golf carts are not just for neighborhoods with a 20 MPH speed limit. Where we live, we often have to drive on Morse Blvd., in the dedicated golf cart lane, that is only separated from car and truck traffic often going in excess of 35 MPH, by a painted white line in the road. And we drive our carts at night so lights are a necessity.

Tags
carts, headlights, rain, golf, driving