Termite Protection - Do we really need it?

Closed Thread
Old 02-10-2015, 11:45 AM
Default Termite Protection - Do we really need it?

Hopefully you can help me understand the whole "Termite Protection" plans that local vendors would like for you to purchase.

We live in a Courtyard Villa with poured walls. (Solid concrete with stucco exterior) The house was built on a concrete slab and foundation, then solid concrete walls were poured on top of that. Most of our interior walls are constructed with metal studs.

My question is this - Can termites chew through solid concrete to get into our home where wood products (furniture, doors, cabinets, etc....) are located? Nothing on the outside is wood.

Can termites fly and get into the roof trusses which are made of wood?

Thanks,
Gordy
Old 02-10-2015, 12:52 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordyM View Post
Hopefully you can help me understand the whole "Termite Protection" plans that local vendors would like for you to purchase.

We live in a Courtyard Villa with poured walls. (Solid concrete with stucco exterior) The house was built on a concrete slab and foundation, then solid concrete walls were poured on top of that. Most of our interior walls are constructed with metal studs.

My question is this - Can termites chew through solid concrete to get into our home where wood products (furniture, doors, cabinets, etc....) are located? Nothing on the outside is wood.

Can termites fly and get into the roof trusses which are made of wood?

Thanks,
Gordy
I know of a premier home a few years ago in Harmeswood that had heavy termite damage and that was a block and stucco home....and yes they can fly
Old 02-10-2015, 01:19 PM
Veteran member

Here is a good explanation of types of and treatments for termites.

We have the same questions you asked. Hard for me to understand how termites can get to roof rafters without some evidence of their journey.

I know the possibilities however we lived in GA (concrete stucco/wood frame/on slab) for 35+ years without any termite damage. And we paid for annual termite inspection the whole time.

If you look at TV new home construction, you can see how all inside wood is sprayed (about waist high) with a termite preventative that is dyed blueish-green. The dye is there so building inspectors know it has been applied.

We are surprised how much more expensive termite "protection" is here in TV and are still undecided about it's real value.

Don

Western PA, Marietta GA, finally TV....
Old 02-10-2015, 01:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

there is an obvious real value just like auto insurance...you may pay for your entire life and never have to use it....like we all do.

What is not of any value is the factor of an incremental amount for being a resident of TV.
Old 02-10-2015, 02:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthOfTheBorder View Post
I know the possibilities however we lived in GA (concrete stucco/wood frame/on slab) for 35+ years without any termite damage. And we paid for annual termite inspection the whole time.
I also grew up in the south, in St. Petersburg about a two hour drive from here. The house I lived in from 1960 to 1967 was stick built in the 1940's with shingles veneer. My dad and all our neighbors didn't use any termite companies, bug men, fertilizer people, etc., the homeowners did it all themselves.

I'm just like him and the OP. We live in a masonry CYV with stucco, poured concrete on both sides, the back and the driveway. I do my own spraying and haven't seen a bug since we moved here.

I just took a screen shot off Google Maps and the home in St. Pete looks pretty bad, but it's still standing after 65 or so years.

The Villages Florida
Old 02-10-2015, 02:34 PM
Gold member

"Still Standing" is not the condition residents, sellers, buyers, or LENDERS require the home to be in.

It has to be free of termites and wood-boring insects.

I can't believe people won't spend $120/year to insure against such a disaster that creeps to the neighbors' homes.
Old 02-10-2015, 02:53 PM

Before moving to The Villages, I was a Building Inspector up north for twenty five years and also a licensed Termite inspector. I can tell you that the preventative maintenance done by termite Companies is 99% balony. They are designed to give a steady income to the Termite Companies. The building codes were changed in the ninties which make termite infestations much less likely. The sub teranien termites in this area swarm in the spring and if they have gotten in your house, you will see them at that time. They are very thick and obvious, the size of ants with wings, you can’t miss them. They leave piles of wings. The damage they do is very slow and there is plenty of time to treat the house before they do substantial damage.

If you are really worried, you can treat the soil around the perimeter of the house yourself with products purchased from Lowes etc every spring which works as well as any Termite Company. This will also keep other bugs from entering the house.
Old 02-10-2015, 03:01 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riccckkk View Post
Before moving to The Villages, I was a Building Inspector up north for twenty five years and also a licensed Termite inspector. I can tell you that the preventative maintenance done by termite Companies is 99% balony. They are designed to give a steady income to the Termite Companies. The building codes were changed in the ninties which make termite infestations much less likely. The sub teranien termites in this area swarm in the spring and if they have gotten in your house, you will see them at that time. They are very thick and obvious, the size of ants with wings, you can’t miss them. They leave piles of wings. The damage they do is very slow and there is plenty of time to treat the house before they do substantial damage.

If you are really worried, you can treat the soil around the perimeter of the house yourself with products purchased from Lowes etc every spring which works as well as any Termite Company. This will also keep other bugs from entering the house.
What homeowner--especially ones over age 65--goes up into his/her wood-framed attic to look for termites down inside the walls?????

I'll gladly pay the $120/year to insure against termite damage that could be found upon inspection of a buyer when we sell it. NOBODY wants to buy a home with termite damage even if it's repaired!
Old 02-10-2015, 03:02 PM
Sage

And I have a bridge in Brooklyn I'ld like to sell you. People it is such a small price to pay for security. By the time I saw the swarmers in the spring I had $25k in damage - yes they had been at work for a while and unfortunately no one spotted it including the inspectors. So get the annual inspection and a bond to cover any damage that might occur.
Old 02-10-2015, 03:05 PM
Gold member
Location: Philadelphia & Lower Gwynedd, PA, Ocean City, NJ, Wesley Chapel, FL and The Village of St. James

I don't LIKE to pay it either ... but I DO. Think about resale. I know I wouldn't buy a pre-owned home if the owner didn't keep up with their termite bond. Just my opinion ...
Old 02-10-2015, 03:11 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Our last house in GA only had one termite inspection in 10 years; when we sold it. The house had poured concrete walls and the only wood on the outside was pressure treated lumber framing the garage doors. In all fairness, I did "inspect" the outside of the house and attic regularly and treated the perimeter several times per year. With our new house in the Villages, I am torn whether to continue the same procedure or have regular professional inspections done and occasional professional soil treatments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riccckkk View Post

Old 02-10-2015, 03:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,938 Times in 2,458 Posts

I have to question the insurance for protection after they treated my home and i signed contract WT? Am I paying them to treat my home, then they want more money for insurance which like all insurance when you file claim they will try to weasel out of it probably.

If I ever have to cut down on the budget that be the first to go.
Old 02-10-2015, 03:24 PM

My original question was can termites chew through concrete?

If they can not chew through concrete..... then the only way into my home would be through the eves or roof vents..... correct? And I have yet to see roof trusses treated with any "green spray" termite control.

With $120 a year I can by a lot of "Snake Oil"....
Old 02-10-2015, 03:25 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I haven't quite figured out how it works in FL. Is there a recommended frequency for treating the soil around the perimeter that is part of the inspection and bond cost or is periodic soil treatment extra?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanatic Luvr View Post
I don't LIKE to pay it either ... but I DO. Think about resale. I know I wouldn't buy a pre-owned home if the owner didn't keep up with their termite bond. Just my opinion ...
Old 02-10-2015, 03:30 PM
Soaring Eagle member

One typical way to gain entrance is through tunnels up the walls of your house. This is one of the things inspectors look for. I suppose they could also enter through cracks in the slab and gain entry to interior walls. Under those circumstances it might be sometime before any evidence is visible. Interior wood should have been sprayed, however. They cannot chew through concrete but they can get through cracks in concrete.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordyM View Post
My original question was can termites chew through concrete?

If they can not chew through concrete..... then the only way into my home would be through the eves or roof vents..... correct? And I have yet to see roof trusses treated with any "green spray" termite control.

With $120 a year I can by a lot of "Snake Oil"....
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.