Hedge on neighbor’s property

Old 01-03-2024, 10:01 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
They no longer speak to you?…hmm, wonder why
That’s what caught my attention as well.
Old 01-03-2024, 12:02 PM
Default Hedge maintenance

I have a terrific hedge which all my neighbors get the privacy of. It is completely on my land and I take care of it. I don’t expect anyone else to do that. Yes I spray the weeds and I replace the mulch as needed. And I also keep it trimmed to about 6 feet. It’s my hedge and my responsibility. Yes neighbors behind and on both sides benefit. So what? It belongs to me.
Everyone should be talking to each other.
Old 01-03-2024, 12:22 PM

Don’t feel bad, there are five couples on my street that are like that!
Old 01-03-2024, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albany View Post
I have a terrific hedge which all my neighbors get the privacy of. It is completely on my land and I take care of it. I don’t expect anyone else to do that. Yes I spray the weeds and I replace the mulch as needed. And I also keep it trimmed to about 6 feet. It’s my hedge and my responsibility. Yes neighbors behind and on both sides benefit. So what? It belongs to me.
Everyone should be talking to each other.
Totally agree!

Why the sudden end to communication is unknown. I just speculate that it has to do with our not helping with the weeding. I can’t figure out what else it could be. The suggestion of delivering some cookies and requesting a discussion to clear the air is a good one. But just wanted to make sure I was not missing something obvious that I was failing to do.

Thanks all for your input.
Old 01-03-2024, 10:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,038 Times in 2,526 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdjed View Post
Introduction, communication and friendship would solve this problem.
Yep, communication that I’m not going on your property to do your lawn work.
Old 01-04-2024, 04:25 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsmom View Post
The rear of my property backs up to a tall hedge. The hedge is all on the rear neighbor’s property. I get the impression (since they no longer speak to us!) that this neighbor expected me to weed from my side the weeds coming up in the white stone island surrounding this hedge. As all of this is on their property I don’t feel comfortable handling weeds especially since I use weed killer spray and I don’t want to spray on their property. Is there a standard protocol to handle this situation that I’m not aware of? Since the rear neighbor’s property is pie shaped, as they are on a cul-de-sac, this hedge bed manages to border on my property and my next-door neighbor’s property. My next-door neighbor does not weed her border area either.

I don’t want to be a bad neighbor, but wish that they had had an honest discussion with me and my husband once we moved in to clarify what they expected. It seems ridiculous to expect somebody to take care of your property without actually having a conversation about it. But again maybe there’s a protocol I am not aware of?
Since they no longer speak to us….. is when I stopped reading this post.
Old 01-04-2024, 07:41 AM
Veteran member

You could just put a note on their door explaining your concern.

To think everyone is going to get along with all their neighbors may be unrealistic unless your just the go along to get along type.

I've had a neighbor in a CYV who didn't want the person who I hired to pressure wash my side of the house which would include going into her yard.

She made a huge scene because she didn't like this individual personally.

Things were never going to be the same after that childish outburst.

Good news is she moved bad news is now it's a short term rental. lol.
Old 01-04-2024, 11:15 AM

The law is simple if it encroaches your property you can clip it back to their property line. What’s it their property is not your business what’s in yours is .. that’s Florida law
Old 02-03-2024, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsmom View Post
The rear of my property backs up to a tall hedge. The hedge is all on the rear neighbor’s property. I get the impression (since they no longer speak to us!) that this neighbor expected me to weed from my side the weeds coming up in the white stone island surrounding this hedge. As all of this is on their property I don’t feel comfortable handling weeds especially since I use weed killer spray and I don’t want to spray on their property. Is there a standard protocol to handle this situation that I’m not aware of? Since the rear neighbor’s property is pie shaped, as they are on a cul-de-sac, this hedge bed manages to border on my property and my next-door neighbor’s property. My next-door neighbor does not weed her border area either.

I don’t want to be a bad neighbor, but wish that they had had an honest discussion with me and my husband once we moved in to clarify what they expected. It seems ridiculous to expect somebody to take care of your property without actually having a conversation about it. But again maybe there’s a protocol I am not aware of?
I find knocking on the door and saying hello, I’m your new neighbor is a good place to start. Then wind your way around to the discussion about the hedge. Maybe work together on the project. Nothing like bonding over physical labor.
Old 02-03-2024, 09:22 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,154 Times in 577 Posts
Default Embarrassing

I think they may not understand what needs to be done. The ownership is on them to keep not just the side they see but what you see also. If I was the neighbor I would be embarrassed and jump right into clearing/cleaning things up. As others have posted, it could be a good thing to communicate directly and air things out. The ARC would definitely be a last resort.

“Everyone may not be good, but there's always something good in everyone. Never judge anyone shortly because every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” - Oscar Wilde
Old 02-03-2024, 09:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,542 Times in 1,926 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Why was there no conversation when you moved in? What caused the lack of relation with your neighbor? Communications is a two way street.
Seems there may be more to this story……..
I so agree, Bogie Shooter.
Old 02-04-2024, 08:09 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robnlaura View Post
The law is simple if it encroaches your property you can clip it back to their property line. What’s it their property is not your business what’s in yours is .. that’s Florida law
I find it hard to believe you can start trimming neighbors hedges because they impeded your property.

Do you have some sources on this?
Old 02-04-2024, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGibson View Post
I find it hard to believe you can start trimming neighbors hedges because they impeded your property.

Do you have some sources on this?
A near standard rule anywhere, that you can trim to boundary line most anything overgrowing your property.
Old 02-04-2024, 10:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,962 Times in 5,351 Posts

See Post No. 11. Communication is nice, but this issue doesn't require any communication. That is why there is a property line. Do whatever you want on your property and stay off of your neighbor's property.
Old 02-06-2024, 08:27 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplesimonsaid View Post
A near standard rule anywhere, that you can trim to boundary line most anything overgrowing your property.
Again show me something in “writing” that says you can cut your neighbor's shrubbery if it impedes your property.

I would think you would need to file a complaint with the district before you pulled out the hedge cutters.

Tags
property, hedge, neighbor’s, weed, don’t

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.