Finally sold my home so here I come - Question

Closed Thread
Old 01-27-2010, 09:38 PM
Default Finally sold my home so here I come - Question

We were pretty lucky because we sold our home in NJ in 4 months. We will be buying a Court Yard Villa since we have two dogs. I have read all the newbie threads here so I have a pretty good general idea of things.

My concern is that my wife and I will be working full time, well at least 4 days a week, and will therefore not be able to do things during the day which may hinder making close friendships. Is there any sense of division between the fully retired and those of us still working?

My wife was more concerned about this than I was since I tend to concentrate on my business. When she voices her concerns I just remind her that at her age she will be the "young stuff" there.
Old 01-27-2010, 10:04 PM
Soaring Eagle member

welcome...gn
Old 01-27-2010, 10:05 PM
Sage

Not to worry!
Old 01-27-2010, 10:29 PM
Default Thanks.

We have been making ourselves crazy for the last few months trying to decided whether to buy in TV or outside. Since we will be working for the next few years we felt that we would be paying for amenities we would not be using. Plus the houses were smaller and closer together and then there is the bond fee. etc.

No matter where we looked and how large the pool, we kept feeling the tug of TV. TV has something none of the other places have. That is a feeling of friendlines for lack of a better word. We felt comfortable and had fun. We do not recall even seeing a single person when we looked at houses outside of TV.

In the end my nieces in Belleview made the decission for us when they told us to buy a home in TV so that they could go to Katie Belle.
Old 01-27-2010, 10:39 PM
Veteran member

There is no place like The Villages, and if you plan on eventually being here anyway, it might benefit you to not have to move twice. You were lucky to sell your house so quickly in NJ, but you might not be so lucky trying to sell a home here in Florida when you are ready to retire and move inside TV. Also, I know a few of my friends here work, and I work part time, and it certainly hasn't hindered me from getting involved and making new friends. Welcome, and enjoy your new home where ever you decide to settle!
Old 01-27-2010, 11:41 PM
Platinum member

My work involves travel every week. I am always happy to come home to TV and the endless choices of activities and joining friends at the squares, restaurants, or country clubs with music and dancing. It's a wonderful life.
Old 01-28-2010, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
We were pretty lucky because we sold our home in NJ in 4 months. We will be buying a Court Yard Villa since we have two dogs. I have read all the newbie threads here so I have a pretty good general idea of things.

My concern is that my wife and I will be working full time, well at least 4 days a week, and will therefore not be able to do things during the day which may hinder making close friendships. Is there any sense of division between the fully retired and those of us still working?

My wife was more concerned about this than I was since I tend to concentrate on my business. When she voices her concerns I just remind her that at her age she will be the "young stuff" there.
We visited the Villages in 2008. We loved it there..My husband will retire the end of June..hope to visit this summer again..I worry about moving there and leaving friends and family here in N.J..I also worry about making new friends!
Old 01-28-2010, 07:10 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Many work in TV -- some because they want to, some because they have to; some part-time, some full-time, some more or less non-stop. There are activities 7 days a week. There are morning activities and evening activities. Have no fear, you'll find your niche. Making friends is relatively easy. Some friends will come from your neighborhood, some from activities, some by accident (talking to folks in the squares, etc.).

Walk your dogs a lot -- they're a natural for getting to know people.

In udder woids, have no fear. Working does not preclude making friends. TV people really and truly are friendly and most want to get to know you.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 01-28-2010, 08:57 PM
Gold member

We both work 4 days a week. We've mada a zillion friends. If you love your "work" and can live in TV .... it doesn't get much better.
Old 01-29-2010, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post

Congrats Vinny, that is a good fast sale. My house here in Jersey has been on the market since Apr.2009, and we are just now in contract waiting out the attorney review period. The buyers want to be in by Apr.15 , 2010, that's fine with me. I hope we get to meet you in TV when we finally get there. We plan to rent in Fl first to check out the homes available in TV and to become familar with the different areas.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.