Help

Closed Thread
Old 03-05-2018, 01:37 PM
Default Help

Would a 60 mile range Antenna from Walmart work in the Villages in lieu of Comcast cable. If not, any recommendations.
Old 03-05-2018, 02:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,738 Times in 5,252 Posts

I don't think you would get anything. I bought a $15 antenna from Best Buy and received zero channels. You need to spend about $200 to $300 for an antenna that is installed in your attic or outside to get channels from Orlando.
Old 03-05-2018, 03:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

First, you should edit you message title to something a little more informative. HELP can mean a lot of things many of them bad.

As for your antenna it depends on many factors. Most important is YOUR location and elevation and what's in your way between the top of your antenna and Orlando. The antenna can be 500 feet high and a "500 mile" antenna but if there is a 600 foot hill in the way, or a house, or a tree it might not work. It is a general question that can't be properly answered without a look. It might work for your neighbor but not you or vice versa.

Oh, and don't believe the "miles" listed on ANY antenna. It's like gas mileage for your car. Generally the length and the element size makes a difference in it's gain (ability to see a weak signal) but LINE OF SIGHT from your SPECIFIC EXACT LOCATION is the determining factor. 3 feet left or right can make a major difference.
Old 03-05-2018, 04:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,156 Times in 2,250 Posts

OP, try a search on this site, there is LOTS of information about antennas, newer homes with heat shield installed, etc., as well as recommendations on installers. Also, one person was very helpful and provided a list of all of the over the air channels. This was sufficient that we decided to stay with Comcast.
Old 03-05-2018, 04:38 PM
Default Help

Thks for advice. First I tried to post yesterday with the title "TV Antennas" and for some unknown reason it did not show up. Thought maybe the title was too long hence Help. I've seen lots of posts on TOTV by people who have cut cable/installed antennas.
Last evening turned on tv for news at 6:30 - snowy and message "no signal" - unplugged for 20 secs. Still no signal. Called Comcast.
After half hour trying to fix was told their
Signal box is broken have to send out a tech. Earliest appt.next Thursday!!!!/! RIDICULOUS. Despite power outages, snow, sleet etc. up north have never been without tv for 5 for tech/service. I cancelled Comcast cable today - but now my tel with them has doubled, Internet stays the same.
I drove to Walmart and am trying an antenna -$50.00 - but no signal - hence my post.

I'll be cancelling my phone and internet with Comcast and signing up with Century Link for all 3 services but don't think there is much to choose between the two of them.Thanks anyway, it was worth a try.
Old 03-05-2018, 04:45 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,254 Times in 425 Posts

Are you able to get Spectrum in your Village? I'm in Pinellas and so far very pleased with them.
Old 03-05-2018, 04:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Not saying you should buy this antenna, but for your basic knowledge. This antenna I purchased last spring from Amazon for $27 with free shipping and it gets all the Orlando channels except for channel 2. I believe that station's transmitter is much further east. You'll get 6, 9, 24 and 35 without any problems, and 6 and 9 have sub-channels, you'll also get many higher channels. Unfortunately many of these other channels are either Spanish language or religious programing with the exception of QVC Channel and Buzzr Channel, which reruns old game shows.

I put the antenna in my attic and it's aimed at about 115 degrees and we are in the area of Sebreeze Rec Center just north of 466A. There is an app that will give you the best direction to aim, also you can either just lay the antenna across the trusses or for $18 more there is a mounting pole available. For expert advice you can always contact Villager AV.

Home Audio Video Sales & Installation in The Villages, Florida

The Villages Florida

Amazon.com: InstallerParts Amplified Outdoor HDTV Antenna -- 150 Miles Long Range -- Motorized 360 Degree Rotation -- Wireless Remote Control: Electronics
Old 03-05-2018, 05:00 PM
Veteran member

Well, I cut the cable a couple of months ago. I've tried 3 antennas, so far none have met my expectations. I got one from Walmart, but it didn't do that well. The one I have now is the BoostWaves(WA-2802) with a 360 Deg. rotor.

I think where I am is in a valley, I have my antenna about 25 feet off the ground. It is supposed to be 150 mi range. I do get several channels WESH(NBC) and WKMG (CBS) and some others, but they are not consistent. The channel will be great and then just disappear and then come back. It's a directional antenna, so I would think that if I point it to a particular station it should be consistent. It's not.

At this point I'm thinking of calling Tom of Tom A/V (I need the number). Maybe he has an answer.

Maybe I should put up a 150 foot tower with 20 to 30 antennas (joking).
Old 03-05-2018, 05:20 PM

Thank you again for additional input, but since I'm a woman with limited technological savvy am resigned to having to rely on Century Link-- unless Joejohnson (my maiden name - could be related) puts up a tower and I can rent one of his antennas!!!!
Old 03-05-2018, 05:54 PM

Re' Spectrum, New Englander - do you have all 3 services, TV, internet and phone with them? Will have to verify if I can get this - I'm on the OBG golf course - historical side -. Will contact them. I'm from Wilbraham, Massachusetts. Thx for suggestion.
Old 03-06-2018, 12:11 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,254 Times in 425 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandy4 View Post
Re' Spectrum, New Englander - do you have all 3 services, TV, internet and phone with them? Will have to verify if I can get this - I'm on the OBG golf course - historical side -. Will contact them. I'm from Wilbraham, Massachusetts. Thx for suggestion.
Yes, I have all three. I've had that package for four months. There are three triple play packages to choose from. I got the least expensive package and it costs $117.72.
P.S. I have a friend in your town.
Old 03-06-2018, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
Not saying you should buy this antenna, but for your basic knowledge. This antenna I purchased last spring from Amazon for $27 with free shipping and it gets all the Orlando channels except for channel 2. I believe that station's transmitter is much further east. You'll get 6, 9, 24 and 35 without any problems, and 6 and 9 have sub-channels, you'll also get many higher channels. Unfortunately many of these other channels are either Spanish language or religious programing with the exception of QVC Channel and Buzzr Channel, which reruns old game shows.

I put the antenna in my attic and it's aimed at about 115 degrees and we are in the area of Sebreeze Rec Center just north of 466A. There is an app that will give you the best direction to aim, also you can either just lay the antenna across the trusses or for $18 more there is a mounting pole available. For expert advice you can always contact Villager AV.

Home Audio Video Sales & Installation in The Villages, Florida

The Villages Florida

Amazon.com: InstallerParts Amplified Outdoor HDTV Antenna -- 150 Miles Long Range -- Motorized 360 Degree Rotation -- Wireless Remote Control: Electronics
This cheap piece of plastic is somehow the best antenna ( I have tried many.) NBC Channel 2 is broadcast from Orange City 90 degrees from The Villages. Mine is set at about 95 degrees and I get them all. My only issue is the wind can blow the antenna off line.
Closed Thread

Tags
comcast, lieu, villages, cable, recommendations

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.