Help. Closing day?

Closed Thread
Old 05-22-2024, 08:15 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
Hrd to believe anyone buys a home here and does not use an inspector
Of course I had an inspector but no bugs were found 3 weeks ago and ac was working during inspection
Old 05-22-2024, 10:53 PM

Isn't this the same person who started numerous threads about the same water damage issue prior to closing?
Old 05-23-2024, 05:01 AM

Dis you examine the thermostat to check on the setting? Maybe it was set at 80 for owner to save money prior to escrow closing. Have seller pay for home warranty that covers the HVAC (not uncommon). Last house I had home warranty insurance paid for a $8000 furnace and AC heat pump in Oregon.
Don’t worry about cockroaches. That’s easily fixed with Home insect spray.
Old 05-23-2024, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badkarma318 View Post
Isn't this the same person who started numerous threads about the same water damage issue prior to closing?

She also said her husband just had a stroke in the middle of all this- possibly a woman facing a sudden flurry of crises that might cause anyone to somewhat frantically reach out with multiple posts?

To the OP (HeartNSoul)- do you have anyone helping you navigate any of this (or any friends or family you can talk to), or are you all alone dealing with this?
Old 05-23-2024, 06:04 AM

Real helpful.
Old 05-23-2024, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ptmcbriz View Post
... Don’t worry about cockroaches. That’s easily fixed with Home insect spray.
If they are just water bugs, easily fixed. If they are German or even just field roaches, you need a professional asap
Old 05-23-2024, 06:24 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartnsoul View Post
Went to close on house today. During walk through house was too HOT. AC NOT working good. Also dead cockroach 🪳 s all over bathroom. Went to closing co told them it's off if nothing fixed. Can we walk away? Will we lose our 10,000 we put down?? Help. Am so stressed
I can’t help you with the a/c situation unless it was turned off but as for the dead bugs, I would guess it’s from the house being fumigated/bombed/sprayed for bugs. It’s okay.
Old 05-23-2024, 06:26 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keefelane66 View Post
Is this you first rodeo?
Just another one of TV friendliest hometown residents. So helpful.
Old 05-23-2024, 06:30 AM
Default What to do?

Quote:
Of course I had an inspector but no bugs were found 3 weeks ago and ac was working during inspection
Heartnsoul, if you really like the home, then I say don't let the presence of cockroaches determine if you're going to go forth with the sale. We purchased a "for sale by owner" about eight years ago, we had the usual house inspection and that didn't turn up any major deficiencies. We closed, picked up the keys, and went to our new home. In the bathroom, I found a couple of dead cockroaches on the floor, and upon listing the top to the toilet tank, there were approximately 25-30 more, most of which were alive. Got them killed off and called pest control the following day. Bug problems can be easily addressed, so ask your neighbors who they contract with to provide those services.

As far as the AC is concerned, if the inspector didn't find the problem during the inspection, but it isn't functioning properly now then it is quite possible the AC breaker has tripped. I also believe someone mentioned to check the thermostat. If those two things aren't the problem then contact a reputable AC contractor to give the system the once over. If it's defective then you can either have the seller fix it, or go half with you. As far as losing your deposit that is something I do not know about, but I think you'd have some recourse there.
Old 05-23-2024, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Went to close on house today. During walk through house was too HOT. AC NOT working good. Also dead cockroach 🪳 s all over bathroom. Went to closing co told them it's off if nothing fixed. Can we walk away? Will we lose our 10,000 we put down?? Help. Am so stressed
What is your realtor's advice? They should be with you throughout the process since they don't get paid unless you close.
Old 05-23-2024, 06:47 AM

Quote:
I’m guessing the house was empty? Sellers don’t typically leave the electricity on, let alone the A/C once they move out. Would you pay to cool an empty house? I never have. As for the bugs? Welcome to the South…clean ‘em up and get an exterminator. They’re a part of life down here. And, yes, if you try to back out now over such trivial issues you WILL lose your $10,000…the time for bargaining with the seller has long since expired. You usually have 10 days from the date of the Inspection (depending on the contract) to negotiate any needed repairs.

Last edited by defrey12; 05-23-2024 at 06:53 AM.
Old 05-23-2024, 06:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,015 Times in 5,373 Posts

The home inspector should have noted the age and the overall condition of the HVAC system. That would make a huge difference in how to handle the closing issue. The fact that it was not cooling during the walkthrough doesn't provide much pertinent information.
Old 05-23-2024, 07:00 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
A troll?? Are u serious? I don't even know WHAT A troll is. Yes I had posted before on problems during inspection. Now I had a problem closing day! I'm NOT a troll whatever that is. This is serious and I needed help??
A troll posts threads that will elicit lots of responses and some disagreement among members and the OP either leaves the thread or puts in vague replies to keep the people either arguing or just confused.

In your previous threads we kept asking specific questions to try to help you. But you didn’t answer any of the questions. I’m sorry if you are having issues but people can’t help you without a lot of very specific details. Failing to answer posts asking for specifics is something trolls do and is why I suspected you of trolling us.
Old 05-23-2024, 07:01 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,569 Times in 602 Posts

Quote:
A troll?? Are u serious? I don't even know WHAT A troll is. Yes I had posted before on problems during inspection. Now I had a problem closing day! I'm NOT a troll whatever that is. This is serious and I needed help??
Then hire a lawyer. Why come here if it’s that important to you
Old 05-23-2024, 07:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,015 Times in 5,373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girlcopper View Post
Then hire a lawyer. Why come here if it’s that important to you
The OP has already been advised to get a lawyer in other threads. I believe that a single letter from an attorney could have secured a release of the $10,000 earnest money.
Closed Thread

Tags
closing, house, walk, fixed, lose

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.