USPS at Sweetbay no more?

Closed Thread
Old 03-08-2012, 11:37 AM
Veteran member
Unhappy USPS at Sweetbay no more?

Since when does has the USPS truck stopped coming to Sweetbay on Tues and Thurs? Went to mail a package and Sweetbay employee said they do not come anymore. Anyone know why? Because of postal cuts? Sure was handy!

Becky
Old 03-08-2012, 12:06 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky View Post
Since when does has the USPS truck stopped coming to Sweetbay on Tues and Thurs? Went to mail a package and Sweetbay employee said they do not come anymore. Anyone know why? Because of postal cuts? Sure was handy!

Becky
I heard you could hand your mail to a Pony Express rider out in Wildwood once a week when he passes thru town. Or maybe you could hire one of these to start up a courier service but it might cost you $100,000 each after paying the benefits they require:

Paid to do nothing - FederalTimes.com
Old 03-08-2012, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetv View Post
I heard you could hand your mail to a Pony Express rider out in Wildwood once a week when he passes thru town. Or maybe you could hire one of these to start up a courier service but it might cost you $100,000 each after paying the benefits they require:

What a shameful waste. Makes you wonder how much more of this goes on. Great read, thanks.
Old 03-08-2012, 01:21 PM
Gold member

Quote:
I knew things were bad but this is ridiculous and they want to go up on postage?. Big changes are necessary in this country. This is over the top.
In reality, they're different!
Old 03-08-2012, 02:08 PM
Sage

Hmm, I saw the van there very recently... Maybe as recent as Tuesday or last Tnursday. Big lines too.

Perhaps call the Lady Lake post office to get the straight scoop.

It certainly was a well utilized service.
Old 03-08-2012, 02:27 PM

Quote:

I wonder if it holds true today? The article states last updated September 2009.
Old 03-08-2012, 03:05 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMF Doc;46***0
I wonder if it holds true today? The article states last updated September 2009.
Here's an article from 7 months ago in 2011.

Idle postal workers costing millions - Boston.com
Old 03-08-2012, 03:48 PM
Gold member

Better check that source about the mail truck as I did see it this past Tuesday in front of Sweetbay. We went into LSL around 11am and headed home around 12:30 and the truck was there both times.
Old 03-08-2012, 03:53 PM
Veteran member

If I'm not mistaken, if a holiday is celebrated on a Monday (Presidents Day?), the Postal Truck does not come on Tuesday. So, if that's when you went that could be the case.

Slaughter on 10th Avenue (and more) -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMo6w...gbuFRTT06nS9pn
Old 03-08-2012, 04:12 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Usps

Was at Sweetbay 15 minutes ago. Sign says due to circumstances beyond our control no more postal truck. RIP! Guess it's time to slam the US post master general!
Old 03-08-2012, 07:02 PM
Sage

USPS loses $3.3B in FY2012's first quarter
USPS loses $3.3B in FY2012's first quarter - FederalTimes.com

Workers' comp costs Postal Service 35% more than private sector (conservative estimate)
"The U.S. Postal Service could save at least $335 million on its yearly workers' compensation tab if the federal government adopted some of the cost-cutting techniques used by private companies, the agency's inspector general concludes in a new report.

Disabled postal employees, for example, can receive full reimbursement for the cost of brand-name drugs. Limit that reimbursement to the cost of generic equivalents and the Postal Service could save some $9 million per year, the audit found. Other economies could be found by limiting benefits to a set period of time and doing more to put injured postal employees back to work.

As of June, some 16,200 disabled USPS employees — or more than one-third of the total for the federal workforce — were on the long-term workers' comp rolls. Of those, 928 were aged 80 or older. One was 99.

By one benchmark, workers' comp claims are costing the mail carrier 35 percent more than in the private sector....."

Workers' comp costs Postal Service more than it should, IG finds - FederalTimes.com

Postal Service to announce mail-processing plant closures
Postal Service to announce mail-processing plant closures - FederalTimes.com

Small group of feds collects more than half of workers' comp benefits
Small group of feds collects more than half of workers' comp benefits - FederalTimes.com

38 postal execs earn more than Cabinet members
38 postal execs earn more than Cabinet members - FederalTimes.com
Old 03-08-2012, 07:21 PM
Sage

There was a news story in the past couple of days about an 18 year old being elected mayor of a small town with total population of 80 residents. You guessed it... They had a modest 1 room US Post Office for the town.

Defies logic... Our "city" of 80,000+ can't keep a twice a week rolling van and this micro small town has its own PO building.
Old 03-09-2012, 06:10 AM
Veteran member
Default Post office

Auto bill pay, Direct deposit, Electronic greeting cards and E-mail are the main reasons the Post Office is in financial trouble. I still write checks and mail cards and letters to save jobs. Unfortunately pension check is direct deposit because I do not have a choice. YES it is a PITA, but we need the JOBS!
Old 03-09-2012, 07:38 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default In trouble

I believe one of the biggest reasons they're in trouble is the junk mail rate. Every piece of JUNK mail we get including all the political crap is mailed bulk rate which is far cheaper then the 1st class mail and far exceeds the amount of 1st class mail. In fact 1st class mail subsidizes junk mail. I did bulk mailing for an organization I belonged to up north and paid .11 per piece mailed on a 5500 piece mailing. Not saying some of the other issues discussed add to the problem but just look at the amount of junk you get each week.
Old 03-09-2012, 07:43 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip0358 View Post
I believe one of the biggest reasons they're in trouble is the junk mail rate. Every piece of JUNK mail we get including all the political crap is mailed bulk rate which is far cheaper then the 1st class mail and far exceeds the amount of 1st class mail. In fact 1st class mail subsidizes junk mail. I did bulk mailing for an organization I belonged to up north and paid .11 per piece mailed on a 5500 piece mailing. Not saying some of the other issues discussed add to the problem but just look at the amount of junk you get each week.
Do you have something that backs this statement?

I ask this because the argument has been made that bulk rate mail subsidizes first class mail. The postal service claims that each class of mail pays it's own way.

Generally bulk rate mail is presorted by the sender which means there is a lot less cost in getting it to your mailbox. Also - the carrier is already there, why not deliver those 3 or 4 pieces of advertising at 11 cents (I think that is a dated rate, probably more like 18 cents now). Lets just say the carrier is delivering 2 extra pieces at 18 cents each to 400 deliveries. That would be 100 carriers to deliver to 40,000 residences or $21,600 additional revenue per day! Bottom line - advertising mail brings in about $17 Billion a year in revenue to the US Postal Service - think of how many jobs that is both in and out of the post office.

Last edited by BogeyBoy; 03-09-2012 at 08:20 AM.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.