Help - Need input on furnishing living room of Ruby (small space)

Closed Thread
Old 12-23-2018, 06:00 AM
Default Help - Need input on furnishing living room of Ruby (small space)

Hello,

We just spent all day yesterday trying to figure out what furniture to put in our new Ruby style living room that measure 12'8" by 12'11" according to the schematic. We've got everything done but the living room. We've looked at Rubys models with furniture on the Villages website and they do seem to jam a lot in the living room. It's usually a full couch and 2 accent chairs that don't recline. I've also seen Rubys for sale with only 2 recliners facing the television. We will have to rent our home out for awhile so we are opting for recliners which I understand to be very important. We found 2 excellent small footprint recliners and a couch but upon putting them in our floorplan it just seems too crowded. We then switched out the couch for a loveseat and that does seem to help the "cluttered" look. Love seat is 61 inches in length instead of couch which is 84 inches. The love seat does not recline. The reclining chairs that match the loveseat are 34 inches. Does anyone have any suggestions? Right now we are having to furnish the house with a renter's needs in mind. Is the lack of a full couch an issue? Should I try to get a loveseat that reclines too or are the 2 reclining chairs enough? Any other tips you can give on furnishing a house for renters would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 12-23-2018, 07:11 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,347 Times in 735 Posts

I have had close to 80 inquiries about renting over the years. Exactly one said they must have a recliner. That one was for health reasons. The husband would be sleeping in it. Given a month or recliner sleeping I felt my decision not to have a recliner was validated.

In my other home I have had the recliner mechanism brake.

I suggest that you remember art work, something,on the walls. It can be inexpensive, but something. I chose to be sure everything the guest touches is fantastic quality. Bedding, upholstery, plates, everything to make them feel the quality.
Old 12-23-2018, 08:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Type 12'x12' living room pictures

into your browser.

Pin by Nina Skylling-Atkins on 12 x 12 room ideas | Pinterest | Living Room, Room and Living Room Furniture
Old 12-23-2018, 08:34 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

So back to the furniture question. There are apps that you plug in the exact dimensions of the room including windows doors everything.
Then every kind of furniture you can pick from you can move it around you can change it out it even comes 3-D and use it for color schemes.
Artwork on the walls is the least of your problems you need to make sure that the furniture is going to fit.
Also if you’re renting it out see if where you are purchasing your furniture has a warranty for repairs.
It’s not a dealbreaker but it does come in handy.
Babette’s to city furniture might also have your floor plan in the store with pieces of furniture to move around.
Old 12-23-2018, 12:20 PM
Veteran member

We successfully rent out a house in the Villages without a recliner. We have never heard a request for one.

Now if you’d like a recliner for when you visit, that’s an entirely different story. You might consider those sofas with the built-in recliners.
Old 12-23-2018, 12:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by UptownBee View Post
Hello,

We just spent all day yesterday trying to figure out what furniture to put in our new Ruby style living room that measure 12'8" by 12'11" according to the schematic. We've got everything done but the living room. We've looked at Rubys models with furniture on the Villages website and they do seem to jam a lot in the living room. It's usually a full couch and 2 accent chairs that don't recline. I've also seen Rubys for sale with only 2 recliners facing the television. We will have to rent our home out for awhile so we are opting for recliners which I understand to be very important. We found 2 excellent small footprint recliners and a couch but upon putting them in our floorplan it just seems too crowded. We then switched out the couch for a loveseat and that does seem to help the "cluttered" look. Love seat is 61 inches in length instead of couch which is 84 inches. The love seat does not recline. The reclining chairs that match the loveseat are 34 inches. Does anyone have any suggestions? Right now we are having to furnish the house with a renter's needs in mind. Is the lack of a full couch an issue? Should I try to get a loveseat that reclines too or are the 2 reclining chairs enough? Any other tips you can give on furnishing a house for renters would be appreciated. Thanks!
Bad Request

Look at the pics of this Ruby (resale) and see how the LR is furnished.

Says "bad request" but pics come up.
Old 12-23-2018, 01:06 PM

City Furniture has all the house plans and sized furniture pieces so you can see what will fit in your area. Definitely recliners!! We purchased 2 recliners and reclining loveseat appropriate for our area..also rather small area.
Old 12-23-2018, 02:30 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,340 Times in 1,448 Posts

I would not use a sofa or a love seat. Go with all chairs, if 4 are too many go with 3. Your tenants in a PV are most likely going to be a couple or they might tell you that and sneak in another couple to help with the rent. Make it comfortable for two and that's one problem you will avoid and no one will be sleeping on your sofa.
Old 12-23-2018, 03:25 PM

---
Old 12-23-2018, 03:26 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
I would not use a sofa or a love seat. Go with all chairs, if 4 are too many go with 3. Your tenants in a PV are most likely going to be a couple or they might tell you that and sneak in another couple to help with the rent. Make it comfortable for two and that's one problem you will avoid and no one will be sleeping on your sofa.
That could happen, however contracts state for a couple, and more dollars for more tenets. Neighbors let you know what going on at your home as well as your home watch or property manager. Plus they have to get a visitors pass for anyone even for a few days, and owner knows when that happens.
Old 12-23-2018, 03:28 PM

I am with you 100% on the recliners. Almost every rental I pass on has no recliners and/or has undersized, uncomfortable looking furniture. My husband is a 100% recliner guy; a property has to be REALLY special for him to give that up and 95% are not. I don't think many renters realize how many people prefer them and that if we don't see them we simply scroll on by and keep looking at other properties. I've never requested or asked about furniture; it's usually obvious from the photos what it's furnished with. Older people will normally spend more time watching TV, sitting/reading than younger ones so I think in TV it's a good idea and certainly so if you also prefer them for yourselves.

I agree with the comment above. I wouldn't get hung up on using a sofa if 4 chairs work better. Function/comfort should be the priority. Smaller scale recliners should work out OK.
Old 12-23-2018, 07:34 PM
Veteran member

This past July we rented a Ruby patio villa. Living room had two smaller-sized recliners with a small lamp table in between, a full sized sofa along the outside wall, two chairs on the opposite side close to the kitchen, and a long coffee table out in the middle. Plenty of room.

east central Illinois, St. Louis, Baton Rouge, Houston, Atlanta, Birmingham, AL
Old 12-23-2018, 08:25 PM

Thanks for your input. We opted for a really comfortable love seat with dual power recliners and (2) accent chairs with footrests if people want to put their feet up. I know we might be asking for trouble with power recliners but I know my folks who are in their 80's have trouble with manual recliners (hmmmm, sometimes I do too actually). We had some small reclining chairs picked out but the space just seemed too small for them when paired with the love seat, let alone the couch we had previously selected. We plotted it all out on a Floorplanner app but maybe when we're actually in the living room we'll see there is room for the 2 recliners without looking cluttered. Then, we can just move the accent chairs to each of the bedrooms.
Old 12-24-2018, 09:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

[//

Last edited by graciegirl; 12-24-2018 at 09:23 AM.
Closed Thread

Tags
couch, room, living, inches, chairs

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.