Help suggestions for an elderly lady living arraignments

Closed Thread
Old 06-01-2021, 09:45 AM
Default Help suggestions for an elderly lady living arraignments

First time poster and a recent newcomer to The Villages and I have used this message boards in the past to obtain a lot of good information. I am seeking information for an elderly single female neighbor who lives by herself that asked me to help her secure new housing within The Villages to help her into her older days.

My next door neighbor is a widower, up in age, memory is starting to fail her and she has stopped driving. She lives in a very large house here in The Villages, but she is seeking an assisted living area within or near The Villages to help her with her everyday task. The lady is financially secure, her house is paid and her total living monthly budget needs to be under $9000 ( pension & SS ) for all expenses. Unfortunately her only surviving son is not capable of assisting her and she has asked me for help.

My wife and I are not that familiar with any ALF's in the area. Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks Jose & Maria
Old 06-01-2021, 09:49 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,980 Times in 713 Posts

I believe Freedom Point over by Spanish Springs has assisted living apartments. Not sure if there are others.
Old 06-01-2021, 09:57 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,477 Times in 753 Posts

It sounds great to have a neighbor "help" her out, but that is a big ask. Lots of responsibility and some liability.

I agree with GaryWT. If she is financially secure, then a nice assisted living facility would be a far better sollution. Some are VERY nice, complete with activities, live-in nurses and caregivers, transportation to shopping and other activities, maid service, and on and on. The very best is not cheap, but there is a spectrum of types available. I would suggest taking her around to look at some and see what they offer and what the price ranges are in the area.
Old 06-01-2021, 11:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,922 Times in 1,111 Posts

American house near Pinellas plaza reasonable for what you get
Old 06-01-2021, 11:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

16 Home Care Services for Seniors Serving The Villages, FL

I know nothing about this service other than it is a state supported program.
See the assisted living section for more info.
Would be for your benefit to get some professional advice.
Good Luck.
Old 06-01-2021, 11:32 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garywt View Post
I believe Freedom Point over by Spanish Springs has assisted living apartments. Not sure if there are others.
I'm researching the same thing right now. Freedom Pointe has a "buy in" but I'm not sure the amount.

We are visiting Elan Spanish Springs this afternoon (now called Watercrest, apparently). I don't believe they have a buy in, just monthly fees. Will comment after the visit.

kathy
Old 06-01-2021, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathyspear View Post
I'm researching the same thing right now. Freedom Pointe has a "buy in" but I'm not sure the amount.

We are visiting Elan Spanish Springs this afternoon (now called Watercrest, apparently). I don't believe they have a buy in, just monthly fees. Will comment after the visit.

kathy
Hello Mrs. Kathy -
Please comment on your visit to any living facility you may visit. BTW - Be very careful with any buy in @ a living facility. Its like buying a time share, only worse. Those buy-ins @ living facilities make absolutely no financial sense. Tread with extreme caution.
Old 06-01-2021, 01:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,717 Times in 5,245 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathyspear View Post

kathy
Elan Is a relatively new facility on Rt 466 and Buena Vista. It's not in Spanish Springs. I think Watercrest Spanish Springs is a different facility. Other facilities are Buffalo Ridge, Mission Oaks, and Sumter Grande.
Old 06-01-2021, 01:52 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Elan Is a relatively new facility on Rt 466 and Buena Vista. It's not in Spanish Springs. I think Watercrest Spanish Springs is a different facility. Other facilities are Buffalo Ridge, Mission Oaks, and Sumter Grande.
Elan is being rebranded as Watercrest. The 466 facility is changing from Elan Buena Vista to Watercrest Buena Vista. Elan Spanish Springs (down the street from Spanish Springs town square) is now Watercrest Spanish Springs.

Both facilities are still owned by the same entity but they have a new management company (Watercrest). The sign outside the SS location still says Elan and the paperwork is a mishmash of references Elan and Watercrest.

k.
Old 06-02-2021, 05:05 AM
Default A Place for Mom

I’ve used this company - A Place for Mom. They take all info and send out to qualifying living places for elderly. Then those places contact you. Very nice and helpful. Very prompt, too.
Local Senior Care Options | A Place for Mom
Old 06-02-2021, 05:14 AM

My mother is at Sumter Grand on 466A independent living. Next door is assisted and then next to that is Memory Care. She has lived there for over 5 years. I believe they are running a special with the first two months free. They do have a car service to get to appts. Etc. I would recommend visiting a few places here in TV. Best of luck.
Old 06-02-2021, 05:22 AM

My mom lives in Freedom Point near the hospital. (memory care) section.
I researched every place in the area 5 years ago. And I mean visited each one and interviewed the administrators.
Freedom Point was the best by far for memory care in my opinion.
And to this day I can say I am not sorry I picked them to take care of my mom.
Even the facility is the same feel of The Villages in anesthetics.
I highly recommend them.
One tip.....
They will negotiate there cost with you. It's a very competitive market around here.
P. S. Get her sons phone number and tell him to get his A$$ down here and take care of this life changing event for his mother.
Old 06-02-2021, 05:38 AM
Default Help ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCCAR334 View Post
First time poster and a recent newcomer to The Villages and I have used this message boards in the past to obtain a lot of good information. I am seeking information for an elderly single female neighbor who lives by herself that asked me to help her secure new housing within The Villages to help her into her older days.

My next door neighbor is a widower, up in age, memory is starting to fail her and she has stopped driving. She lives in a very large house here in The Villages, but she is seeking an assisted living area within or near The Villages to help her with her everyday task. The lady is financially secure, her house is paid and her total living monthly budget needs to be under $9000 ( pension & SS ) for all expenses. Unfortunately her only surviving son is not capable of assisting her and she has asked me for help.

My wife and I are not that familiar with any ALF's in the area. Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks Jose & Maria
I believe TV has a service to help people with decisions like this. I cannot recall what it is though. This is a very big decision and she will need to sell her home, etc.
Old 06-02-2021, 06:12 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,558 Times in 597 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaxxx View Post
My mom lives in Freedom Point near the hospital. (memory care) section.
I researched every place in the area 5 years ago. And I mean visited each one and interviewed the administrators.
Freedom Point was the best by far for memory care in my opinion.
And to this day I can say I am not sorry I picked them to take care of my mom.
Even the facility is the same feel of The Villages in anesthetics.
I highly recommend them.
One tip.....
They will negotiate there cost with you. It's a very competitive market around here.
P. S. Get her sons phone number and tell him to get his A$$ down here and take care of this life changing event for his mother.
I had to comment on the P.S. yes, the son should get his butt in gear and come down here and get her settled in. Im pretty sure he will come poking around in her final days to see whats left for him to take home. Theres always that one in every family who wont take on any responsibility
Old 06-02-2021, 06:17 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,863 Times in 786 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCCAR334 View Post

That’s so nice of you. I hope you can find a place for her, though eventually whoever has power of attorney will probably also need to become involved.

I have a friend, 86, whose memory was starting to fail, also, though she still drove. Then she nearly died of COVID last fall, and her husband DID die of it. The virus exacerbated her dementia, and after four or five months with a full time caretaker in her son’s home, she was placed in a beautiful new memory care unit, which she loved. Within a week she had found a “boyfriend” with Alzheimer’s and was dragging him into her room several times a day for hot make-out sessions. Good for her! But difficult for her kids.
Closed Thread

Tags
villages, living, neighbor, lives, house

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.