Help with stolen certified mail?

Closed Thread
Old 07-07-2022, 06:23 AM
Send a message via AIM to newgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pessemist View Post
I have a problem I need to try and correct. I ordered a gemstone and it was sent certified mail signature required. To my horror I discovered a transposed digit in the street address : transposed to a house number that DOES NOT exist! It appears the delivery postal person signed my name AND put down the non-existent house number and pocketed the package. Any suggestions?
That happened to me, I ordered hundreds of $$ of stuff only to never receive it even though it was delivered to the post office in Lady Lake. Come to find out, a worker was stealing .Never was contacted or stuff returned to me :-(
Old 07-07-2022, 06:55 AM

The Villages still has a serious problem with the mail service. I sent a birthday card out November 1. It was received this week postmarked July 1 from Orlando!
Old 07-07-2022, 06:56 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,076 Times in 432 Posts

Why go through the trouble of trying to solve this mystery? If the seller sent the item via certified mail with signature required, you have the proof you never received it. Contact the seller, demand a replacement, and ask the item be shipped by someone other than USPS. Let the seller deal with the postal service regarding the original package.
Old 07-07-2022, 07:24 AM
Veteran member

Usps also has a criminal investigation unit nationally that you can report this to
Old 07-07-2022, 07:47 AM
Default Help with stolen mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4557Spahr View Post
The Villages still has a serious problem with the mail service. I sent a birthday card out November 1. It was received this week postmarked July 1 from Orlando!
I sent a Thanksgiving card and it was received yesterday with a June 29 postmark from Orlando also. It was left in the mail station for Dunedin on November 10!
Old 07-07-2022, 07:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,740 Times in 5,254 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMo50 View Post
Why go through the trouble of trying to solve this mystery? If the seller sent the item via certified mail with signature required, you have the proof you never received it. Contact the seller, demand a replacement, and ask the item be shipped by someone other than USPS. Let the seller deal with the postal service regarding the original package.
The OP said that the package had the wrong address on it, but didn't say who provided the wrong address. If the OP gave the wrong address to the seller, do you still think the seller is responsible?
Old 07-07-2022, 08:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
I have a problem I need to try and correct. I ordered a gemstone and it was sent certified mail signature required. To my horror I discovered a transposed digit in the street address : transposed to a house number that DOES NOT exist! It appears the delivery postal person signed my name AND put down the non-existent house number and pocketed the package. Any suggestions?
I would call the post office, they are surprisingly helpful. I believe the term is not certified mail but registered mail. Registered mail is how you ship valuable stuff. Insured, the shipper can for a fee demand a signature on delivery. Priority mail, it can be tracked and for an extra fee insured. Was it insured? Did you pay with a credit card? You can dispute the charge. You will find they too are helpful. Shipping to an incorrect address is a common scam. I would not accuse the postal carrier. That is for the post office people to investigate.
Old 07-07-2022, 09:09 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by newgirl View Post
That happened to me, I ordered hundreds of $$ of stuff only to never receive it even though it was delivered to the post office in Lady Lake. Come to find out, a worker was stealing .Never was contacted or stuff returned to me :-(
Many years ago, I handled concealed shortages for a company. No shipper has 100% honest people. Just the reality. We tend to think to hope the company sends Sherlock Holmes or perhaps Monk to investigate. Reality it is often just written off as a cost of doing business.

People, companies tend to buy that clear or brown self stick tape to seal packages. Crooks have the same tape. They can and do, cut the box open and steal stuff. So that our boxes were not too light one person would replace expensive merchandise with bricks.

Drives everyone nuts but when I ship I glue the box closed with hot melt glue. If, opened it will be obvious.

Far as returning to you, something stolen the thief will quickly dispose of any indication that it is stolen. The post office used to and I expect still does hold auctions of stuff they do not have an owner for.
Old 07-07-2022, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Last Christmas, our mail carrier (Edgewater Bungalows and Creekside Landing) stole mail that looked like a card that might contain money. Her mother caught her when she noticed tubs of mail in her bedroom. I think she is still in jail. My card was one that was stolen.
Old 07-07-2022, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Call the Postal Inspection Service, that is fraud and they will get to the bottom of it. The local police will not have any jurisdiction on federal crimes.
Old 07-07-2022, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Have you already called your postmaster. Hopefully you can get through. If not try going down to the post office in person and ask to speak with the post master. Maybe, hopefully it is at the post office somewhere ... or hopefully it was sent back to whoever sent it to you.

I've had issues with the post office enough that whenever I can I use either UPS or Fedex when I can. Especially for items that are in the higher price range. They may not be perfect but they are much better than the post office and track everything.

The person or business that sent you the gemstone to the wrong address is responsible because they sent it to the wrong address.

I hope you find this soon. Best of luck.
Old 07-07-2022, 02:15 PM
Sage

[QUOTE=Lea N;2113713]Have you already called your postmaster. Hopefully you can get through. If not try going down to the post office in person and ask to speak with the post master. Maybe, hopefully it is at the post office somewhere ... or hopefully it was sent back to whoever sent it to you.

I've had issues with the post office enough that whenever I can I use either UPS or Fedex when I can. Especially for items that are in the higher price range. They may not be perfect but they are much better than the post office and track everything.

The person or business that sent you the gemstone to the wrong address is responsible because they sent it to the wrong address.

I must state, a lot of the original post makes no sense. I used to be in business. I too often got a tale from customers, the check got lost in the mail. I more than once told customers it is strange the post office only loses checks, bills always seem to arrive.

The post office. Frankly when you call the people are very helpful. No need to go to the post office.

A gemstone? Not sure what is being called a gemstone. Depending on the stone, what it is,
size, quality the value can be a very wide range. Buy a gemstone. Just an unmounted stone. That is truly strange.
Old 07-07-2022, 02:54 PM
Platinum member
Wink

[QUOTE=DAVES;2113754]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lea N View Post
Have you already called your postmaster. Hopefully you can get through. If not try going down to the post office in person and ask to speak with the post master. Maybe, hopefully it is at the post office somewhere ... or hopefully it was sent back to whoever sent it to you.

I must state, a lot of the original post makes no sense. I used to be in business. I too often got a tale from customers, the check got lost in the mail. I more than once told customers it is strange the post office only loses checks, bills always seem to arrive.

The post office. Frankly when you call the people are very helpful. No need to go to the post office.

A gemstone? Not sure what is being called a gemstone. Depending on the stone, what it is,
size, quality the value can be a very wide range. Buy a gemstone. Just an unmounted stone. That is truly strange.
I don't see anything strange about buying a gemstone. Lots of people do it, especially jewelers.

Old 07-07-2022, 02:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,740 Times in 5,254 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lea N View Post

I hope you find this soon. Best of luck.
The OP did not say that a person or business sent the package to the wrong address. The OP could have provided the wrong address to the seller.
Old 07-08-2022, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Anything of value should be sent "Registered Mail", not Certified Mail. It would have been insured. The carrier who signed for it should be held responsible.
Closed Thread

Tags
number, house, transposed, certified, mail

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.