Help suggestions for an elderly lady living arraignments

Closed Thread
Old 06-17-2021, 02:35 PM
Veteran member

Just wanted to post a follow-up to this thread now that we have visited Freedom Pointe.

They have an Independent Living building at one location and another location that houses Assisted Living and Memory Care (Both are on El Camino near the hospital.) There is a hefty buy-in for the Independent Living apartments. There is NO buy-in for Assisted Living or Memory Care, just the monthly base fee and an additional monthly "care fee" that is determined by the amount of assistance the resident needs.

k.
Old 06-17-2021, 02:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,738 Times in 5,252 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathyspear View Post
Just wanted to post a follow-up to this thread now that we have visited Freedom Pointe.

They have an Independent Living building at one location and another location that houses Assisted Living and Memory Care (Both are on El Camino near the hospital.) There is a hefty buy-in for the Independent Living apartments. There is NO buy-in for Assisted Living or Memory Care, just the monthly base fee and an additional monthly "care fee" that is determined by the amount of assistance the resident needs.

k.
Yes, but as I understand it, those who move from the independent living to assisted living pay a much lower monthly rate because of the initial buy-in payment. That seems to be a big sales pitch for the independent living building.
Old 06-17-2021, 08:08 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Yes, but as I understand it, those who move from the independent living to assisted living pay a much lower monthly rate because of the initial buy-in payment. That seems to be a big sales pitch for the independent living building.
Could be. That wasn't mentioned to us because MIL is at the point of needing assisted living now. However, the buy-in is something like $250k. It would take a lot of discounting to make that a good deal!

We know a couple who moved into a place in the Midwest with a buy-in when they were in their early 80's. He lived to be 105. I think she made it to 102 or 103. They got their money's worth.

Anyway, I just didn't want anyone to be scared off of Freedom Pointe's AL facility because they think it requires a large buy-in.

k.
Old 06-18-2021, 06:01 AM
Veteran member

I love that" Federal paid vacation kid" but in all seriousness, no aunt's uncle's cousin's nephews that could at least come down? I know how serious this can be but I can give you another option of her moving to be with a relative not necessarily in their house but at least close by so that they can help out with rides and doctor's appointments etc. We are lucky to have three caring children and they're not worried about our growing old as I know they will take care of us.
Old 06-18-2021, 06:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,738 Times in 5,252 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by J1ceasar View Post
I love that" Federal paid vacation kid" but in all seriousness, no aunt's uncle's cousin's nephews that could at least come down? I know how serious this can be but I can give you another option of her moving to be with a relative not necessarily in their house but at least close by so that they can help out with rides and doctor's appointments etc. We are lucky to have three caring children and they're not worried about our growing old as I know they will take care of us.
You are lucky. A lot of people don't have the options you mentioned. And, many of them end up staying in their house much longer than they should, even when they can afford to move to assisted living. I think the assisted living facilities need to do a better job of making their facilities more desirable, so people actually want to move into them.
Old 07-20-2021, 04:23 PM
Location: Mt. AIRY NC, NORFOLK VA, VA BEACH, VA, FT WAYNE,IN, CINCINNATI, OH, ROSWELL, GA, THE VILLAGES

Sumter Senior Lining on Rt 466. Very nice
Old 07-21-2021, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathyspear View Post
I'm researching the same thing right now. Freedom Pointe has a "buy in" but I'm not sure the amount.

We are visiting Elan Spanish Springs this afternoon (now called Watercrest, apparently). I don't believe they have a buy in, just monthly fees. Will comment after the visit.

kathy
Also look at Trinity Springs in Oxford. My deceased wife lived there for two years and loved it.
Born and raised in Toronto; also lived in Sudbury and Winnipeg while growing up; migrated to Atlanta where I lived for almost 30 years and also spent a year in Milan and two years in Rochester, MN (brrrr).
Closed Thread

Tags
villages, living, neighbor, lives, house

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.