Help! Thinking of retiring in TV and have some questions

Closed Thread
Old 08-17-2014, 01:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukbill70 View Post
My wife and I moved from Northern Illinois a year ago and the humidity is not much different except that it lasts longer here. We went to visit friends in North Wisconsin ( Gull Lake ) last July and the Humidity was higher than TV.

As a previous poster stated "You don't have to shovel humidity". Given a choice of Snow/Cold or Heat/Humidity the later wins every time.
Someone once said to us "heat is uncomfortable, cold is painful".

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 08-17-2014, 01:50 PM
Soaring Eagle member

You might be able to look at the counties Tax Assessor site. The bond has to be a public record. Make sure your sales contract lists the amount of the bond including none if that is the case. Bonds are used in several hundred FL communities so ask for any house you might be considering.
Old 08-17-2014, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekcormn View Post
I am in Minnesota thinking of retiring there.

Can someone tell me about the Humidity down there ? is it that bad ?

Also, how can I find properties for sale with the BOND PAID ?

Thanks !!!!

Rick!?!
This is Kim. I've read through all the responses on this thread, and I think there is a genuine sincerity here from the group to inform you truthfully. Today is one of those hot and humid days, which you may not want or be able to tolerate outside. Instead, we chose to go to a movie this afternoon. They keep the theaters, restaurants, etc., so cold, you'll find most women are draped with sweaters or jackets inside. My daughter borrowed and wore one of mine for the movie. My cat generally likes to go out on my screened in porch from time-to-time thru the day. At 6:10 pm (heat index still around 100), he asked to go out. At 6:12, he was meowing to come back in!
Good luck in your research, and I'm glad you have discovered TOTV. It's a great forum to have all your questions answered.
P.S. Golden Hurricane = University of Tulsa alumnae. I may be the only TU grad in TV!
Old 08-17-2014, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigandress View Post
My views:
It is no more hot and humid here than it is on a really hot humid summer day in Minnesota. The difference is that it is like that every day in the summer here. You just work around it and plan your activities accordingly.

As to the bond, as long as you know the amount, it's existence or non existence shouldn't affect your house selection. Just remember to add it to the advertised price in making comparisons and keep it in mind when making an offer.

It is surprising that the Developer has gotten away with not disclosing the amount, or even existence, of the bond in his advertising.
I definitely think that the bond balance should be disclosed on the listing sheet. However, it is not disclosed with MLS either so don't single out the developer.
Old 08-18-2014, 02:03 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipcovers View Post
I definitely think that the bond balance should be disclosed on the listing sheet. However, it is not disclosed with MLS either so don't single out the developer.
You are correct.

It would seem that the MLS Realtors would benefit from bond disclosure by everyone since the bond is very high on the new houses (being sold by the Developer) and much smaller or nonexistent on the pre-owned houses (being sold by the Realtors. Therefore, not disclosing the bond gives the Developer a major competitive advantage. I don't know why the Realtors haven't made an issue out of this, especially since it appears that they and the Developer don't get along.
Old 08-18-2014, 03:20 PM

My first experience in Minnesota was when I moved there from southern California in January, 1977. The 1st 10 days I was there, it did not get up to 0, quite the shock for someone who grew up in the LA area. Since then I have lived in MN, IL and MI and I have not found the humidity to be much worse here than those places but the temperature is definitely hotter and as others have said, lasts longer. However, I have to say that I was so happy that last winter was my first snow bird winter down here rather than up in MI or MN and I am happy to be a full-timer now.
Old 08-18-2014, 04:15 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandatime View Post
I don't mind the heat too much, but I am very undecided about what to do with my long, thick hair in this humidity. I look like a poodle. A sweaty poodle. Do all the ladies give up their long hair and just go short?
Actually I prefer women with a neat short hairdo.
Old 08-18-2014, 04:49 PM

Don't hesitate to move to The Villages. There is sooooo much to do here that you would be too busy to even notice the heat. The best decision I ever made. The only time I go up North is to visit the kids and grandkids for Christmas. Greatest place to live once I retired.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.