Helpful advice and warnings for brand new Villagers.

Old 01-16-2014, 02:18 PM

Having just purchased a home in the Villages I appreciate the advice. People were stopping by the house every day trying to sell a product or service. Neighbors are the best to use when you need something done. Thanks to all who helped us in the 2 weeks we were in our new house.
Old 01-26-2014, 09:12 AM
Send a message via AIM to Diveda

I had gotten calls before 8am in the morning! Those water people really ticked me off.
Old 01-26-2014, 09:15 AM
Send a message via AIM to Diveda

I wonder why, when the common areas are sprayed, a little sign is not put up? I have a dog and do not want her walking soon after spraying. There were two trucks. One sprayed the trees and right behind the grass was heavily sprayed. They are in and out quickly. But why does my yard need a sign but not the common areas?
Old 01-26-2014, 10:17 AM

Once I discovered TOTV, I felt remarkably more informed. Generally speaking, the folks HERE watch out for one another and if Gracie says it; bet the house on it for honesty and integrity. The water people are despicable as are the folks checking the air conditioning units. They will tell you "Oh. You have MOLD near the unit... I cleaned it, though. And so goes the $3K 'fix' of that problem that never existed in the first place. DON'T FALL FOR THOSE WHO PREY ON THE POPULATION.
We are Villagers... hear us roar. Lean back and smile upon exhale.
Old 01-26-2014, 10:34 PM

We are brand new to the villages, 3 weeks, have pushed to get so many things done. I think one of the most important tips is, take a breath, slow down, it will happen. I am so anxious to get everything perfect and to make our house feel like home, I just have to stop a moment and realize, we are here for good. Time is on our side! I really appreciate all the advice. Hoping there are newcomers in Pinellas wanting to be friends and get something social started so we can all meet one another.
Old 01-27-2014, 03:58 AM
Soaring Eagle member

[COLOR="SeaGreen"][/CWhen were newbies, we received all those solicitation calls. After about 2 months we decided to change cable companies because we were having a few issues which related mostly to our Internet service. Tight after we changed our cable/Internet we began to get those calls again. It appears that the cable companies are selling our information to these telephone solicitors.COLOR]
Old 01-27-2014, 07:46 AM
Gold member

We have now been Villagers for 2 weeks! the 2 most important lessens we've learned so far, don't bring too much stuff and get a Garmin, or some other kind of GPS. We have found it to be invaluable as we try to find different rec centers and the town squares. I'm sure, after time, it will get easier to get where you're going, but for right now, all I have to do is hit the "Go Home" button and follow the directions.

"I wish I didn't know now, what I didn't know then"
-Bob Seger-
Old 01-27-2014, 07:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna32162 View Post
We have now been Villagers for 2 weeks! the 2 most important lessens we've learned so far, don't bring too much stuff and get a Garmin, or some other kind of GPS. We have found it to be invaluable as we try to find different rec centers and the town squares. I'm sure, after time, it will get easier to get where you're going, but for right now, all I have to do is hit the "Go Home" button and follow the directions.

I truly understand. We bought here seven years ago and it took me then many months to find my way around all of the area and the different navigation for the golf cart. I am pretty good with directionality. Now we have a lot more area. It is a daunting task initially.
Old 01-31-2014, 12:42 PM

I will talk to you, just don't know how to do it. Jack
Old 01-31-2014, 01:00 PM

i wish this was available when we moved in. a lot of good info, most of the mistakes we made are listed, very helpful, if we keep it that way.
Old 02-05-2014, 05:32 PM
Default Buying a Home Advice Sought

We hope to be buying a home in the next few months so here are some questions:
Why are homes less expensive in northern part? Would you suggest buying south of 466? Opinions on buying new versus preowned are solicited. Any difference in pricing on The Villages listed homes vs. those listed by an MLS realtor? Any advice you would like to give is appreciated.
Old 02-05-2014, 05:55 PM
Gold member

I would suggest getting an unlisted phone # if you are getting phone service.
Old 02-07-2014, 08:29 AM
Default Old or new; MLS, VL, South or North of 466A

Quote:
Originally Posted by mneumann02 View Post
Why are homes less expensive in northern part? Would you suggest buying south of 466? Opinions on buying new versus preowned are solicited. Any difference in pricing on The Villages listed homes vs. those listed by an MLS realtor? Any advice you would like to give is appreciated.
Those are some great questions you ask! I'm not sure about the price difference except many south of 466A have options of larger garages and some have more "open concept" home designs, so that might be one of the reasons driving the higher cost. Also an older home will begin to have some upkeep needs that keep the cost down since you will probably have to do some fixing up of the place.

Living south or north really depends on the types of activities you are interested in and where their hub is located. Archery and woodworking are up north and the south ball fields are more in the north, so if you are running up there every day, consider living north. I've been told that the southern neighborhoods are newer, so people are all working at developing new friendships and getting acquainted. You tend to find people reaching out a bit more than in the established neighborhoods.

My experience is the MLS / VL are two different competing entities-- (emphasis on competing). They will steer you different homes found in their listing program. They say they can show you the other companies homes, but they will definitely try to keep you in their own system. Note that the VL will have first notice of new homes to hit the market and have the inside scoop on that type of home. So if you are thinking of going south of 466A, I'd stick with a VL realtor. We used Brian.Arango@thevillages.com and found him to be professional, not pushy, and very knowledgeable.

Good luck!
Old 02-07-2014, 09:49 AM
Gold member
Location: Bought Tamarind Grove, Mercer Island Wa, previously NH,FLA,Hi,CT,CA,GA, Hubby from Hawaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by mneumann02 View Post
If you search home buying you will find many threads but in a nutshell from my research and notes from those threads.
First Age -
North of 466 along Buena Vista was built from the late 90's though 2000 aprox. Over in De la Vista and Tierra Del Sol its 1993 through 99
Just south is Palmers etc is around 2004-06 and they get newer as you go south and when you cross 466A they are all built recently (last year or so and all new construction). So the furnace and air etc will have less life on them in the older homes but may have been replaced so check and add or subtract from price accordingly.
Access to listings-
New homes are not negotiable. Preowned are. In order to see all homes you need to use both an MLS real estate agent and a villages agent. Search on this site for recommendations for Villages agents as they now employ over 200 sales people I was told and a lot of them don't know much. (by the way I was told some have real estate licences and some don't but none work with the MLS) Most current listings south of 466 are with the villages but not all I would check both.
Pre owned v New -
Pre owned may have upgrades and the bond is paid down or off. Add the amount of the bond to the purchase price so you are comparing apples to apples.
Location- Is totally a personal choice. Be close to what you love, favorite rec center or golf course. If golf course lot is important I would say look at the older ones as the villages has gone nuts with the premium on the golf course lots in my opinion.
Old 02-22-2014, 09:51 AM
Question had that call

Had that welcome wagon call, then mid conversation, they said they were from GE then they had a gift card to outback or home depot then came there true identity. Funny thing is they tried to lie about other companies and then when I actually went to the welcome wagon site, this company was not even a member. So my view is if someone has to say bad things about other companies and lie about who they really are just to get into your house, then do they really have my best interest at heart to begin with??? BTW the company wound up finally telling me there real name..... is was TAS something I think the welcome wagon needs to do something about these companies using there good company name to deceive the public.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.