Herds of squirrels.

Closed Thread
Old 08-03-2011, 10:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default Herds of squirrels.

The squirrels in The Villages are different than those I knew in Ohio. Those were just hanging out in the forest behind our home waiting until I stocked the bird feeders with some yummy black seeds.

They were brownish and gray and medium size, actually squirrel size, the only size I knew that squirrels came in.

When playing Heron or Pelican, sometimes the monkey like squirrels would come down and pillage a snack if you forgot to take it out of your golf cart. They are fast and devious fellows and a different breed from our Ohio ones.

We are renting a home north of 466 and for the last couple of days we have seen GROUPS of squirrels running across the back yard in the same direction each time, back and forth in a group. This is very interesting to our cat Mikey who is sitting with his ears perked all day looking out the window.

I thought last night I was going to have to put an ice compress on his little brow, he had been so excited all day.

These squirrels are little ones and I can't tell if they are babies or just the size they are supposed to be, but they are acting groupy, which I have never seen before.

So tell me about the squirrels that you know.

Pooh? If you have as many as we do, you certainly are aware of their presence.

Last edited by graciegirl; 08-03-2011 at 12:34 PM.
Old 08-03-2011, 10:40 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
The squirrels in The Villages are different than those I knew in Ohio. Those were just hanging out in the forest behind our home waiting until I stocked the bird feeders with some yummy black seeds.

They were brownish and gray and medium size, actually squirrel size, the only size I knew that squirrels came in.

When playing Heron or Pelican, sometimes the squirrel monkeys would come down and pillage a snack if you forgot to take it out of your golf cart. They are fast and devious fellows and a different breed from our Ohio ones.

We are renting a home north of 466 and for the last couple of days we have seen GROUPS of squirrels running across the back yard in the same direction each time, back and forth in a group. This is very interesting to our cat Mikey who is sitting with his ear perked all day looking out the window.

I thought last night I was going to have to put an ice compress on his little brow, he had been so excited all day.

These squirrels are little ones and I can't tell if they are babies or just a group but they are acting groupy, which I have never seen before.

Thank the Lord, I don't have as many as you seem to have, Gracie!... I've seen two and when I was away, my friend who watched our house, saw 4 and she said they were quite comical. Personally I think they were offspring of the two I have....they were "doing it" in my back yard for all to see. I yelled at them to "get a room" for goodness sake.... These squirrels run across the back yards from my friend's house to ours. She said they were walking along the top of the fencing...and it appeared they were sort of "learning" how to negotiate walking on the top rail of the fence. My little beasties are the regular garden variety squirrel and not the fox squirrels seen on the golf course. Those little bas***** also rummaged through our cart looking for food and when none was found, decided to urinate. Rotten little beasts.

You might want to video the creatures...not sure if they "herd" but....this could be something biologists have not witnessed before...you've had the opportunity to witness the squirrel flash mob of The Villages!
The Villages Florida

Last edited by pooh; 08-03-2011 at 12:52 PM.
Old 08-03-2011, 10:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,665 Times in 594 Posts

squirrel brains and eggs, good eatin'
Old 08-03-2011, 10:45 AM
Sage
Default Flying?

The Villages Florida
Old 08-03-2011, 11:00 AM
Veteran member

Oh my goodness! What a picture!
Old 08-03-2011, 11:22 AM
Sage

What a GREAT picture! I've not been able to capture the elusive squirrels of Caroline....by the time I open the door to the lanai, he/she gives me a look and then is out of camera view before I can get poised to snap the lens. Your poor pooch...
Old 08-03-2011, 11:28 AM
Sage

My Dad took this picture. He told me that the squirrel kept running back and forth almost teasing the dog for 5 plus minutes. The dog never barked and never took her eyes off the squirrel. Too funny....

It is unclear to me why the picture shows up on TOTV unrotated and 1024x768. Looking on photobucket, it has been rotated and is 404x540. Not an issue with TOTV, but some odd caching at photobucket maybe??

UPDATE: The picture in post #4 is now correct. The image ?? must ?? get cached in photobucket I am assuming

Last edited by ajbrown; 08-03-2011 at 01:12 PM. Reason: added update
Old 08-03-2011, 01:02 PM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbrown View Post
My Dad took this picture. He told me that the squirrel kept running back and forth almost teasing the dog for 5 plus minutes. The dog never barked and never took her eyes off the squirrel. Too funny....

It is unclear to me why the picture shows up on TOTV unrotated and 1024x768. Looking on photobucket, it has been rotated and is 404x540. Not an issue with TOTV, but some odd caching at photobucket maybe??
I've fixed the picture or Rocky the Flying Squrrel so it will show up normal.
Just click the thumbnail to enlarge it! The Villages Florida
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"

Last edited by skyguy79; 03-24-2012 at 12:15 PM.
Old 08-03-2011, 01:16 PM
Sage

I have a picture just like that except with our two cats climbing the screen to get to the squirrel.

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 08-03-2011, 01:19 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Gracie, maybe all the nuts are congregating in your neighborhood.
Perhaps they are the "clique" some posters are whining about.

Aj loved the photo.

Last edited by duffysmom; 08-03-2011 at 06:31 PM.
Old 08-03-2011, 01:21 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post

When playing Heron or Pelican, sometimes the monkey like squirrels would come down and pillage a snack if you forgot to take it out of your golf cart. They are fast and devious fellows and a different breed from our Ohio ones.

We are renting a home north of 466 and for the last couple of days we have seen GROUPS of squirrels running across the back yard in the same direction each time, back and forth in a group. This is very interesting to our cat Mikey who is sitting with his ears perked all day looking out the window.

These squirrels are little ones and I can't tell if they are babies or just the size they are supposed to be, but they are acting groupy, which I have never seen before.

When we first moved into this home that we are presently in, it had nothing but woods and wild flowers across the road.......and each end of summer into autumn the squirrels would "go crazy" literally and run back and forth as you describe...........the rest of the year they seem to be quieter. However, even squirrels can carry rabies as we had a case not too long ago in town where it bit a person who had been feeding it. Right now our chipmunks are multiplying.....but they are cute to observe.
Old 08-03-2011, 01:24 PM
Gold member

Thought this was interesting.

Some references say that a group of squirrels is called a dray, while some indicate that a dray refers specifically to a nest of a mother squirrel and her babies. Other references say that a group of squirrels is called a scurry. Squirrels.org notes that squirrels are actually solitary animals and no group name is officially recognized.
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Home Protection Instructor
Retired Army Military Police Investigator - 20 years, 4 months, 13 days
Retired Deputy Sheriff/Corrections Officer
IDPA Safety Officer Instructor
All skill is in vain when an Angel weewees in the flintlock of your musket.
Old 08-03-2011, 01:53 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Perhaps this dray of squirrels is really the "clique" some posters were complaining about?
Old 08-03-2011, 06:52 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figmo Bohica View Post
Thought this was interesting.

Some references say that a group of squirrels is called a dray, while some indicate that a dray refers specifically to a nest of a mother squirrel and her babies. Other references say that a group of squirrels is called a scurry. Squirrels.org notes that squirrels are actually solitary animals and no group name is officially recognized.
Whales have calves,
Cats have kittens,
Bears have cubs,
Bats have bittens,
Swans have cygnets,
Seals have puppies,
But guppies just have little guppies.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.