Here we go again

Closed Thread
Old 10-20-2022, 07:11 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,147 Times in 885 Posts

Thanks for this link. The video looks like it's over 2 hours, but it's only 1 hour and 26 minutes, with an interview with the director of the film for the rest of the time. I thought it was a very well balanced perspective of The Villages, especially the look at what the development has done to neighbouring people. I agree they could have added more of a look at younger retirees, but it's overall a cool viewing.
Old 10-20-2022, 07:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,132 Times in 418 Posts

Pretty good, balanced depiction of The Villages. The interview with the film maker at the end is also very interesting. Well worth watching.
Old 10-20-2022, 07:21 AM

Another movie about our beloved bubble. Watch out for soaring home prices in our future! I enjoy watching movie producers trying to define this place, they always thread a little truth with their obligatory sensationalism. The truth is you can’t define The Villages because it’s different based on how each person chooses to live here.
Old 10-20-2022, 09:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,655 Times in 1,519 Posts

Still don't understand what everyone's problem is with the Villages. You either like it and move here or you don't like it and live happily ever after where ever you find your optimal residence for the final years of your life. If I lived here and didn't like it, I certainly would not stay here longer than it takes to sell my home. I've lived all over the world and this place is just fine with me. Not that I moved here for myself to begin with, but I am content now. You can make the Villages what ever you wish. I do not frequent the squares, but I think the entertainment they provide is a great idea. I don't play golf, but am amazed at how many holes of golf that is provided, at a very good price, too. I do not use the pools but love the idea that there is one in every community. But, there are plenty of other things I enjoy. The best thing I like about the Villages is the senior age neighbors. There is always someone in the neighborhood. The area does not empty out by kids going to school and other folks running off to work. Plenty of folks around. It's nice to be able to assist or help those that can use an extra hand. If nothing else, it's nice to chat with those that move around the neighborhood walking their dogs or just walking for exercise. I enjoy the quiet. No kids playing loud music. There is hardly any crime n the Villages, which gives one the feeling of security. I enjoy how clean it is here. AND, no one is forcing anybody to live here, so they really shouldn't complain about the Villages. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but it amazes me that there are so many outsiders that wish to paint it out to be a miserable place. Hmm, politics involved?
Old 10-20-2022, 12:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,808 Times in 1,264 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages Kahuna View Post
Pretty good, balanced depiction of The Villages. The interview with the film maker at the end is also very interesting. Well worth watching.
I agree, interesting European oriented view point where other cultures treat their elderly differently.

Suggest watching the interview at the end first to give the film makers point of view..

Surprising anyone here would agree to be filmed given the history. Those who did seemed a little atypical.

Favorite comment was the farmer who said he could make more money planting Yankees than watermelons :-)

Wish they would include things like the charter schools and discuss the positive economc impact creating thousands of good paying jobs as a result of the multi billion dollars a year financial engine.
Old 10-20-2022, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing-nut2 View Post
Get you snack & your drink and get ready for another Villages story,

Golf, Booze, & Guns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jp0nqJ1yrrg
Just watched this 2 hour video, fast forwarding thru most of it - I was underwhelmed to say the least.
Old 10-20-2022, 03:05 PM

Does anyone know the guy who sang Creep by Radiohead at City Fire in the last few minutes of the movie? I want to get his autograph! Or maybe we could do some karaoke together sometime! That was awesome! I thought it was funny how most of the YouTube comments were praising his singing and not commenting on the rest of the movie, LOL.
Old 10-20-2022, 04:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,303 Times in 4,313 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altavia View Post
Those weren't "air-guns" that were shown in the movie... Most were Ruger .22 cal

-Tom Petty
Old 10-20-2022, 07:47 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
Those weren't "air-guns" that were shown in the movie... Most were Ruger .22 cal
My bad, small phone screen...

So where was that video shot? <pun intended>
Old 10-21-2022, 10:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,945 Times in 1,116 Posts

It was very ,very long , but interesting . I liked it and didn’t find it negative ,like some (showed our white racism? ) I mean what’s up with that?? I do agree with some posters , they could have shown more of our younger seniors , don’t know if that was on purpose or not , but I would think the family would be mostly positive about the free advertising
Old 10-21-2022, 11:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,695 Times in 1,540 Posts

It was cleverly done, and that is NOT a point in that video's favor.

My wife and I watched it last night and had a good talk afterwards about our feelings on it. Mine can be summed up in two words: class envy. To me the underlying theme was that TV and "the bubble" were somehow unnatural; that its very existence harmed society in some vague, ill-defined way. The fact that Villagers had both money and power which (indirectly suggested by the video) is used in the wrong ways thus also harming society. That unctuous, self-important reporter from the Orlando Sentinel was obviously biased and the film makers apparently bought into that; their agendae did not appear to be that different.

Apart from all that though is the fact that this video was A) designed to be seen by a lot of people, and B) making a lot of money for those Austrian filmmakers thereby. Some feelgood slop about baking socials and board-game nights certainly would not have done that.
Old 10-21-2022, 12:04 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,205 Times in 570 Posts

I watched some of it so far and can point out some things that our fellow residents got wrong.
The plastic surgery lady said there's no bugs here period, and she insinuated they must spray every night. Come out dusk and the skeeters are there along with the multitude of insects crawling outside the houses. Then there was the couple that were discussing water usage. Did he say they run their irrigation 2 hours a night ? Where did they find these people? The only guy who made sense was the Ohio State guy. I'll watch the rest and dive into the whole big bad Villages ruining things around Wildwood.

Last edited by Bilyclub; 10-21-2022 at 09:23 PM.
Old 10-21-2022, 01:02 PM
Default Here we go again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing-nut2 View Post
Get you snack & your drink and get ready for another Villages story,

Golf, Booze, & Guns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jp0nqJ1yrrg
Another negative slant on TV ... yawn ! It's unfortunate that non-Villagers, who watch this 'film', must have a poor image of TV and the residents. Unless you live here, you cannot speak with facts. That doesn't stop some idiot from Orlando running her mouth.
Old 10-22-2022, 09:50 AM
Sage

Nice, professionally produced synthesis of the film by a Villager.

https://youtu.be/jNO3XXD6rfI
Old 10-22-2022, 10:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,655 Times in 1,519 Posts

I finally watched it until I got to the interview at the middle point of the total video.
It was better than the other one that had the guy living in a van. I was underwhelmed by interviews of the residents living outside of the Villages, when they complained about the Villages taking over their land and water. Heck, no one is being forced to sell their property as far as I know. And look at the revenue and employment that the Villages brought with it. They complain, but do they realize that the indigenous natives of this state were gathered up and moved out West somewhere before their families settled here? I say "get over it." Otherwise, the documentary was not bad. Before having empathy for the locals, one might want to consider that the Villages is not the only gated, senior living community in Florida. Del Webb is another expansive developer and there are many more in Florida as well as other areas in the U.S.A.

Tags
ready, booze, golf, story, villages

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.