Hiding Utility Boxes in yard

Closed Thread
Old 09-27-2019, 04:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,938 Times in 2,458 Posts

Yes! Hide those utility boxes, they are sex magnets!
Old 09-27-2019, 04:48 PM

I am leaning toward a rock garden. with Faux rocks/boulders covering the utilities. I have sent a query to ARC, if they are open to. considering an application I will put together a plan and see what they say.
Old 09-27-2019, 07:44 PM
Sage

This is an old wives tale. We have rocks and our plants grow like weeds. If you like rocks then use them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Cowgirl View Post
While many Villagers have put in rocks in their landscaped areas, be aware that the rocks hold the heat and your plants will bake in the sun, particularly in the summer.
In addition, the rocks add nothing to the soil (errrr, rather, the sand) while mulch does, over time.
Old 09-27-2019, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 10 GI View Post
Mulch attracts termites.

All mulch is not the same and all mulch will not necessarily attract termites.
If termites are in the mulch, they're in your house.

I've had mulch for many years and have never had a problem with termites.

How many people do you know who have termites because they have mulch???
Yeah. That's what I thought.

Mulch is a far better landscaping choice for many reasons, as opposed to putting down stones.

Last edited by Midnight Cowgirl; 09-27-2019 at 08:44 PM. Reason: correction
Old 09-27-2019, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Cowgirl View Post
All mulch is not the same and all mulch will not necessarily attract termites.
If termites are in the mulch, they're in your house.

I've had mulch for many years and have never had a problem with termites.

How many people do you know who have termites because they have mulch???
Yeah. That's what I thought.

Mulch is a far better landscaping choice for many reasons, as opposed to putting down stones.
Thank you for your advice, I appreciate it. It sounds like there are some good reasons for using mulch as opposed to rocks in plantings.

We will take this into consideration and discuss it with the landscaper we choose.

The "faux rocks" I am discussing here are to hide the utility access boxes and are not actual rocks but large hollow fiberglass boxes that look like boulders.

We have not finalized our decision whether to use rock or other mulch. However, for our own reasons we are definitely getting rid of the pine straw.
Old 09-27-2019, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 10 GI View Post
Google and Bing are your friends. A search will show that there are arguments on both sides about termites and mulch. You make the decision on who is correct. Where we lived in Tennessee the pest control companies discouraged the use of mulch as they said that it attracted termites. Yes we did have an infestation of termites but I caught it in time before any significant damage was done.

There isn't any argument regarding who is correct.

Your pest control company told you that mulch attracts termites? Your house alone is a bigger attraction for termites than mulch.

Just curious . . . How old was your house, exactly where were the termites you had and how were they treated?
Old 09-27-2019, 09:19 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,668 Times in 529 Posts

Does Mulch Attract Termites? | Terminix

Steve
Old 09-27-2019, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anothersteve View Post
Just to play the devils advocate here, that link is to Terminex who has a vested interest in encouraging you to "take steps" to prevent a problem.

And note they were careful to not actually say mulch attracts termites.
Old 09-28-2019, 05:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Another opinion, University of Florida.

ENY-832/IN651: The Facts About Termites and Mulch
Old 09-28-2019, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Another opinion, University of Florida.

ENY-832/IN651: The Facts About Termites and Mulch
It seems the thread has wandered off down another path - sigh.

This is a more credible source. Their focus seems to be more on mulch next to the house at the base of walls, and they're also saying it may encourage/enable termites as oppose to causing/bringing termites.
Old 09-28-2019, 06:36 AM

All the talk about mulch always makes for great reading but in many cases is not 100% factual. Mulch has many forms and options. There are bark mulches that are more unfriendly to termites but there is no guarantee you will not get them. There is also no guarantee you will not get them if you have rock, have your house treated or get a termite sniffing dog. As a long time southerner pine straw has been the choice we have chosen. It is plant friendly, human/animal friendly, easily replenished and the best weed blocker. Read the postings here about keeping weeds out of rock, not an easy task and very chemically intense. You can get termites with pine straw I am sure but have never had that problem. It also does not wash out of beds like bark mulch. Just another option, pick what you prefer and welcome to TV!!!
Old 09-28-2019, 08:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,019 Times in 1,745 Posts

Not sure about others’ mulch but mine has been mostly blown away by the wind, like right down to exposing the landscape fabric. I plan to get something slightly heavier next time.
Old 09-28-2019, 10:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts
Default My opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martian View Post
3 weeks since closing and we are almost furnished inside and we have a sign on our light post outside now! (YEAH).

Next up we are considering landscaping. Lots of driving around looking at what others have done.

A priority is changing the pine needles into rocks. The second priority is a tiered/stepped wall (pavers) around the rocks.

In thinking about the front yard (in a CYV) we see at the street is a couple water access panels, and a couple telecommunications boxes.

I was wondering how much I can hide those? I KNOW the technicians have to have full access to them, but can I put some plants/hedges around 2 or 3 sides of them?

Inquiring minds want to know.
Re: landscaping around the,"utility boxes." Call your power company, They will mark where the wires are-it is free. We have a transformer in our backyard. It is marked 15 KW. That will light you up pretty good.

As to rocks vs pine straw. That is an endless debate. Like anything else people refuse to admit they've made a mistake so will support whatever decision they've made.

Confession, I have pine straw. Before you make a decision visit the cooperative extension. I of course know people who've made both choices. If, you put in gravel, you will of should lay it on top of landscaped fabric. It is not totally effective. Unlike pine needles you cannot use the traditional tools such as a hoe, a cultivator etc. You need to weed by hand. Look at what the pros use-pine straw not gravel.
Old 09-28-2019, 10:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts
Default Important to you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martian View Post
3 weeks since closing and we are almost furnished inside and we have a sign on our light post outside now! (YEAH).

Next up we are considering landscaping. Lots of driving around looking at what others have done.

A priority is changing the pine needles into rocks. The second priority is a tiered/stepped wall (pavers) around the rocks.

In thinking about the front yard (in a CYV) we see at the street is a couple water access panels, and a couple telecommunications boxes.

I was wondering how much I can hide those? I KNOW the technicians have to have full access to them, but can I put some plants/hedges around 2 or 3 sides of them?

Inquiring minds want to know.
In previous posts you seem to object to the fact that you need to get any plan reviewed and approved.

That is true of landscaping as well.
Old 09-28-2019, 10:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Here is how we handled it. You must leave access to one side. It was closer to us than the neighbors so we selfishly planted bushes on our side.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	000_9784 (2).jpg
Views:	222
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	81097  

Tags
priority, access, couple, yard, rocks

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.