High grocery prices in TV

Closed Thread
Old 06-06-2015, 09:09 PM
Default High grocery prices in TV

We spend 6 months in TV and 6 in upstate NY.( Capitol district) Every year we find that the overall price of groceries in TV is higher than those in upstate NY. Produce is not only less expensive in NY but the quality is far superior. What gives?? Do the grocery chains in TV think they have a gold mine when it comes to retirees?? They must pay a lot less for produce shipped to FL than chains in the NE. Friends from Wisconsin also find prices higher in TV than in Wisconsin.
If enough Villagers find this same discrepancy in grocery prices, what could we do to express dissatifaction (outrage?) to the chains in TV? I'm sure a single letter from me will fall on deaf ears, but an organized "campaign" might have a chance. Your thoughts?
Old 06-07-2015, 07:17 AM
Gold member

Probably not buy any or stay in upstate NY !

Do you honestly think you would get enough people together to protest ant make any impact? NAH !
Old 06-07-2015, 07:40 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Gee when I lived up North, Long Island to be exact I found gasoline, utilities, taxes, restaurants, insurance, registration etc higher that's why I moved to TV. I could not have lived on LI like I'm living here. So I'll complain about nothing.
Old 06-07-2015, 07:43 AM
Gold member

I think because most people don't venture far from TV that the grocery stores feel they can charge what they want and TV will have to pay.

If people would start going outside, Leesburg, Belview and the such to do there shopping, maybe the intown grocery stores will get the hint.... and lower there prices.....?

law of supply and demand.......
Old 06-07-2015, 07:56 AM
Veteran member

According to the link below, Florida falls right in with the average price of groceries. Having said that, yes, stores in The Villages have higher prices. It is called the law of supply and demand, and as long as we are willing to pay those prices they will charge them. If we go to towns outside of The Villages we will pay less, but how many of us are willing to do that?

Can You Feed Your Family a Meal for $15? States with Cheapest, Most Expensive Groceries

Wanda
Village of Collier

Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before. ~Mae West

Old 06-07-2015, 07:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGKyler View Post
We spend 6 months in TV and 6 in upstate NY.( Capitol district) Every year we find that the overall price of groceries in TV is higher than those in upstate NY. Produce is not only less expensive in NY but the quality is far superior. What gives?? Do the grocery chains in TV think they have a gold mine when it comes to retirees?? They must pay a lot less for produce shipped to FL than chains in the NE. Friends from Wisconsin also find prices higher in TV than in Wisconsin.
If enough Villagers find this same discrepancy in grocery prices, what could we do to express dissatifaction (outrage?) to the chains in TV? I'm sure a single letter from me will fall on deaf ears, but an organized "campaign" might have a chance. Your thoughts?
////
Old 06-07-2015, 08:01 AM
Veteran member

I'm an Aldi's fan. Great specials on veggies and fruit.
Old 06-07-2015, 08:03 AM
Eternal Member

I have to ask if you have checked out food prices in other parts of Florida such as Gainesville, Orlando, or Tampa. Maybe (I do not know) Florida grocery prices are higher and it is not just The Villages. Personally, I would believe that over it being just The Villages. My wife tells me that overall grocery prices were higher in Maryland than here and the quality the same - unless you went to Whole Foods where the prices were MUCH higher.

However, as I said, I do not know as I did very little grocery shopping before moving here and still do little. I am very lucky to have such a great wife that takes care of that stuff and still manages to treat me so well.
Old 06-07-2015, 08:15 AM
Sage
Smile

Quote:
We have the Marion market and our local farmer's market for produce. You can get some great deals there. We have Walmart and prices are reasonable. Publix is pricey and is a convenience, especially produce is pricey. If you shop around you can do well. Plus Publix and Winn Dixie have many buy one get one free items every week. Usually different items each week also. If you are smart you can save quite a bit. Plus there are manufacturer's coupons. At Publix on line site you can go to their coupon section, select which coupons interest you, check them off, save them and when you go to the store just let the cashier know and the coupons will be taken off the bill as you buy the item.
Old 06-07-2015, 10:07 AM
Veteran member

If you purchase anything, leave the compound, and go to Lady Lake, or Belleview.

The developer gets a cut in the Villages, so higher prices.

Last edited by OldManTime; 06-07-2015 at 10:10 AM. Reason: Additional information
Old 06-07-2015, 10:45 AM

Coming from Maryland my wife will gladly tell you that prices here are higher-much higher; prices for meats, fruits and vegetables lead the way and I have to agree the quality is down with publix leading the way-very nice store and great to get through the checkout-otherwise it is not very good compared to what we had.
Taught physics and chemistry to teenagers for 37 years!! Started out in Rhinebeck,NY and ended up in Havre de Grace, MD-moved to Buttonwood full time and then moved to Labelle, but still go north to do some goose/deer hunting !!!!
Old 06-07-2015, 10:53 AM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Quote:
snipped
What gives?? Do the grocery chains in TV think they have a gold mine when it comes to retirees?? They must pay a lot less for produce shipped to FL than chains in the NE. Friends from Wisconsin also find prices higher in TV than in Wisconsin.
LGK - Keep in mind that retirees are not the only, and perhaps not the majority of, shoppers in our grocery stores. There are lots of surrounding communities with permanent local families who also shop among us. Those locals are probably not aware of the cost of groceries in upstate NY or anywhere else.

Don't give up hope for your 'campaign' though. One never knows when something will strike a chord with a corporation! You might try suggesting they offer a 'sr. citizen' discount shopping card. One food store by me in NJ offers seniors a 10% discount on orders over $30 one day a week. For me and my three months in TV - I'll just keep shopping BOGOF and weekly sales...same way I always shop!

Old 06-07-2015, 10:53 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip0358 View Post
Gee when I lived up North, Long Island to be exact I found gasoline, utilities, taxes, restaurants, insurance, registration etc higher that's why I moved to TV. I could not have lived on LI like I'm living here. So I'll complain about nothing.
EXACTLY! As you can see - a Long Islander myself!
AND, I would venture that most costs on "The Island" were higher than upstate.
Old 06-07-2015, 12:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
/////
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	rsz_protester_with_beer_sign number 2.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	52122  
Old 06-07-2015, 03:47 PM

We also found the prices high. I've bought meat from Publix and fish and poultry from The Fresh Market, no complaints. We try and buy our produce from the farmers market. You can't have it all, I'm just glad we are able to come down when we can.
Closed Thread

Tags
chains, prices, find, grocery, higher, wisconsin, produce, upstate, discrepancy, chance, villagers, friends, thoughts, campaign, letter, single, deaf, fall, ears, express, organized, dissatifaction, outrage, gold, price

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.