High grocery prices in TV

Closed Thread
Old 06-09-2015, 07:38 AM

It's always good to make yourself an educated consumer. And while I'm glad to see you watch and monitor grocery prices we must be honest and admit we pay for the convenience of having these stores on property. i.e. golf cart access, travel time etc. While it may be true that stores on TV property may need to charge more to offset payments made to TV, most larger chains still want to remain competitive. Regarding shopping off premises, check your local circular to see which stores in that chain honor those sales. That will provide you with some idea of which locations have similar pricing.

Many yrs ago I handled security for a large NE grocery chain and can tell you that grocery prices change weekly. Even for non sale items. So your best defense against high prices is to learn the price of items you regularly purchase and buy the item when the price is lowest.
Old 06-09-2015, 01:43 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by vette View Post
It's always good to make yourself an educated consumer.

Many yrs ago I handled security for a large NE grocery chain and can tell you that grocery prices change weekly. Even for non sale items. So your best defense against high prices is to learn the price of items you regularly purchase and buy the item when the price is lowest.
I price shop. How about we do our own comparative shopping with what I bought today at Save-A-Lot? I didn't know I would be doing this when I was shopping and I'm sure my shopping list is not yours, but here goes:

milk - whole - gallon 3.29
eggplant 99/lb
zucchini 99/lb
roma tomatoes 1.29/lb
honeydew melon 1.99
cucumber .33
sweet potato 99/lb
pepper green 99
2 1/2 lb thick cut bacon 7.99
5oz can tuna .69

Maybe if we can get a list of 20 items we can track the costs. I don't think the cost of food is high down here. But now that I have time to shop and cook, and I like to cook my meals are different then when I was working.

I'm not eating cooked roaster chickens, steak sandwiches and pizza on work days.
Old 06-09-2015, 03:43 PM

Up here, I'm in Fairfield, Ct. Very expensive here in general. We find restaurants in TV to be much less than here. I don't food price shop much, if I need something, I get it.
But I must say, that last month, while in TV with my cats, I was shocked at how expensive the cat food was. In Ct, I pay $.53 for a can and in TV, it was $.67 at Publix! That is a big % difference!
Old 06-09-2015, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
I price shop. How about we do our own comparative shopping with what I bought today at Save-A-Lot? I didn't know I would be doing this when I was shopping and I'm sure my shopping list is not yours, but here goes:

milk - whole - gallon 3.29
eggplant 99/lb
zucchini 99/lb
roma tomatoes 1.29/lb
honeydew melon 1.99
cucumber .33
sweet potato 99/lb
pepper green 99
2 1/2 lb thick cut bacon 7.99
5oz can tuna .69

Maybe if we can get a list of 20 items we can track the costs. I don't think the cost of food is high down here. But now that I have time to shop and cook, and I like to cook my meals are different then when I was working.

I'm not eating cooked roaster chickens, steak sandwiches and pizza on work days.

Keep in mind when comparing National Brands versus Private labels.
The 5oz can of tuna for .69 , was it the store brand or Chicken of the Sea ?
Old 06-09-2015, 05:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,318 Times in 872 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Jojo~ View Post
Up here, I'm in Fairfield, Ct. Very expensive here in general. We find restaurants in TV to be much less than here. I don't food price shop much, if I need something, I get it.
But I must say, that last month, while in TV with my cats, I was shocked at how expensive the cat food was. In Ct, I pay $.53 for a can and in TV, it was $.67 at Publix! That is a big % difference!
May be because that this seems more a dog town than a cat town? Volume?

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 06-09-2015, 05:12 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northstar View Post
Keep in mind when comparing National Brands versus Private labels.
The 5oz can of tuna for .69 , was it the store brand or Chicken of the Sea ?
store brand---it's the first time i bought tuna in 2 years---i have some onion pita bread and thought i'd give it a try again
[i won't google tuna---just in case]
Closed Thread

Tags
chains, prices, find, grocery, higher, wisconsin, produce, upstate, discrepancy, chance, villagers, friends, thoughts, campaign, letter, single, deaf, fall, ears, express, organized, dissatifaction, outrage, gold, price

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.