Hmmm. . . Insurers using drones to inspect insured properties

Old 04-07-2024, 08:36 AM
Default archives

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKandSportsguy View Post
wsj.com

Behind a paywall, i gave up my WSJ subscription for just cutting and usage. . apologies to those who like to turn people in for such. .

but copied from what I could read:

Cindy Picos was dropped by her home insurer last month. The reason: aerial photos of her roof, which her insurer refused to let her see.

Hmmm, they can also perform storm, hurricane and fraud claims reviews with the drone footages.

Technology good or not good? cost savings not passed onto consumers? claims denied with poor drone angle or conclusions from too far away?

Anyone know if any TV insurers doing this?
SIL taught me about this site. It's proven to often be right handy. (That second, "query" box).

https://archive.ph/

https://archive.is/ZqVwM
Old 04-07-2024, 09:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,910 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKandSportsguy View Post
wsj.com

Behind a paywall, i gave up my WSJ subscription for just cutting and usage. . apologies to those who like to turn people in for such. .

but copied from what I could read:

Cindy Picos was dropped by her home insurer last month. The reason: aerial photos of her roof, which her insurer refused to let her see.

Hmmm, they can also perform storm, hurricane and fraud claims reviews with the drone footages.

Technology good or not good? cost savings not passed onto consumers? claims denied with poor drone angle or conclusions from too far away?

Anyone know if any TV insurers doing this?
All I can add to this subject is a generalization.........all insurance is designed to have the INSURED individual pay in a REQUIRED consistent manner. Then the INSURING Company (agent) pays out after an accident in a less than consistent manner. The Company has a vested interest in NOT paying, so they pay sometimes and sometimes NOT.
Old 04-07-2024, 09:10 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
All I can add to this subject is a generalization.........all insurance is designed to have the INSURED individual pay in a REQUIRED consistent manner. Then the INSURING Company (agent) pays out after an accident in a less than consistent manner. The Company has a vested interest in NOT paying, so they pay sometimes and sometimes NOT.
Oh wait....the latter I thought that was the model for Fan Duel, Wynn Bet and Draft Kings
Old 04-07-2024, 09:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,953 Times in 2,464 Posts

The drone probably captured stained roof. We villagers know stained roofs are bad also I would think there minimum altitude that drones can fly over private property?
Old 04-07-2024, 09:21 AM
Gold member

From the Wall Street Journal article:

“The technology is way ahead of any consumer protections,” said Douglas Heller, director of insurance at the Consumer Federation of America.

Some of the concerns would be: privacy, inaccurate or old photos, wrong photos.
Old 04-07-2024, 09:25 AM

Who do you you feel is THE BEST, reliable, honest, home roofers in our area?
A Village realtor mentioned that Florida just passed new laws regarding roof replacements! Has anyone heard if, and how they modified Florida’s insurance laws!
My concern is that my roof is 13 years old. Just had an inspection and the inspector said it still looks very tight.
Thanks
Old 04-07-2024, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mntlblok View Post
SIL taught me about this site. It's proven to often be right handy. (That second, "query" box).

https://archive.ph/

Already posted via archive site.
Old 04-07-2024, 09:08 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,530 Times in 715 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
The drone probably captured stained roof. We villagers know stained roofs are bad also I would think there minimum altitude that drones can fly over private property?
There is no defined legally minimum altitude for drone operations.
If Florida there is an expectation of privacy defined in FS 934.50 but it would likely not be applicable in this instance as there is a level of inherent consent for examination of the insured property when the contract was entered into.
This discussion is all hypothetical as there in not enough facts and information in the OP to make a complete evaluation of the situation.
www.goldwingnut.com
YouTube –YouTube.com/GoldWingnut and YouTube.com/GoldWingnutProductions
Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero
Society is produced by our wants, and government by wickedness; the former promotes our happiness positively by uniting our affections, the latter negatively by restraining our vices. - Thomas Paine, 1/10/1776
Old 04-08-2024, 03:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,916 Times in 919 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwingnut View Post
There is no defined legally minimum altitude for drone operations.
If Florida there is an expectation of privacy defined in FS 934.50 but it would likely not be applicable in this instance as there is a level of inherent consent for examination of the insured property when the contract was entered into.
This discussion is all hypothetical as there in not enough facts and information in the OP to make a complete evaluation of the situation.
Here is the archived link. .

Old 04-09-2024, 07:31 AM

Here is the skinny on Drone use…

Minding my drone business: U.S. home insurance companies are using drones to expose damaged roof shingles, yards full of combustible junk, and swimming pools and trampolines homeowners failed to tell them about. An invasion of privacy? Nope. If it’s out in the open, you can legally photograph it.
Old 04-09-2024, 07:42 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRcorvette View Post
Here is the skinny on Drone use…

Minding my drone business: U.S. home insurance companies are using drones to expose damaged roof shingles, yards full of combustible junk, and swimming pools and trampolines homeowners failed to tell them about. An invasion of privacy? Nope. If it’s out in the open, you can legally photograph it.
Aerial assessors. The new norm
Old 04-09-2024, 11:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,916 Times in 919 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipping up to Boston View Post
Aerial assessors. The new norm
another cheap technology removing jobs from the economy. .
roofing inspectors being replaced permanently. .

Tags
hmmm, insurers, insurer, claims, drone

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.