Home Inspection on a new build???

Closed Thread
Old 06-08-2022, 08:32 PM
Default Home Inspection on a new build???

We close on our new home (Village of DeLuna) in 2 weeks. Is it worth getting a regular home inspection on a brand new home? This is our first new home so we're not sure about this. Is the new home guarantee enough protection? it would be nice to save a few bucks, I guess. I'm in favor of getting it, the wife not so much.
Old 06-08-2022, 08:40 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom&JenC View Post
We close on our new home (Village of DeLuna) in 2 weeks. Is it worth getting a regular home inspection on a brand new home? This is our first new home so we're not sure about this. Is the new home guarantee enough protection? it would be nice to save a few bucks, I guess. I'm in favor of getting it, the wife not so much.
You don't want to skip the home inspection, but postpone it until about 9-10 months after closing. A good inspector will submit the report to the TV Home Warranty Dept. for corrections to be made before the one-year warranty expires.
Old 06-08-2022, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by champion6 View Post
You don't want to skip the home inspection, but postpone it until about 9-10 months after closing. A good inspector will submit the report to the TV Home Warranty Dept. for corrections to be made before the one-year warranty expires.
That's a great idea. Thank you.
Old 06-08-2022, 09:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,050 Times in 5,337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by champion6 View Post
Great advise
Old 06-09-2022, 04:03 AM
Gold member
Send a message via AIM to rjn5656
Default Inspection

Definetely get one. You will be amazed all the little things they will find that you will overlook.
Old 06-09-2022, 04:25 AM
Gold member

Three new homes here and we always get the outside inspection ten months into the first year. Warranty Department quickly gets issues resolved.
Old 06-09-2022, 04:57 AM

We just closed June 1st on a new home. Within 7 days or so, submit a punch list of the cosmetic issues or other fixes that are needed. The builder will give you the punch list form when you do the walk thru with them (the same day you close). We included dead sod on the list and it was promptly replaced.

Right away, schedule your walk thru appointments with your HVAC, irrigation, and pest prevention installers. The builder will give you names/phone numbers. While they are there, they will note issues and get them fixed for you too. I think the installers want to fix things so it doesn't end up on the builder punch list!

Throughout the first year, look for any issues that need fixing and call the Warranty Office for resolution.

As stated in other posts, hire a Home Inspector to look for issues before your 1 year is up.
Old 06-09-2022, 06:56 AM
Veteran member

You have 1 year to notify the builder of problems. Schedule an inspection well in advance, however, as most of the good ones are booked well in advance.

And yes, it is WELL worth it. The inspection on our new home found many defects that were quickly handled by the warranty department.
Old 06-09-2022, 01:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,156 Times in 2,250 Posts

Make sure you start contacting home inspectors about 3 months prior to the 1 year anniversary, many have packed schedules, we really liked Frank DeAngelo, he was great, found items I would have never found.
Old 06-09-2022, 01:37 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,777 Times in 3,645 Posts

It depends.

It depends on you and your wife................the skill-sets you have.

People who are no comfortable or confident on self inspection should spend the $$$.

If you &/or wife have skill-sets............save your money for other purchases.

Good Luck.
Old 06-09-2022, 02:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,739 Times in 5,253 Posts

Quote:
I would recommend doing a professional inspection about a month or so before the one-year warranty expires. Frank D'Angelo is probably the best. But, when you move in, you should do your own detailed inspection. Inspect the countertops for chips and cracks, especially if they are granite or quartz. Run your finger along every edge top and bottom and feel for a chip. Inspect the seams for tightness. Inspect all porcelain plumbing fixtures for cracks. Inspect every window for fogging between the panes. Open and close every door to make sure they latch properly. Use a good flashlight to inspect all ceilings for roof leaks, even in the closets. Walk on every part of the floors to check for loose tiles or squeaks. Shine the flashlight parallel to the long walls to check for excessive dips and bows in the drywall. Buy an outlet tester and check every electrical outlet. Use a level to check the levelness of the countertops and cabinets. Shine the flashlight in the accessible attic areas and look for good insulation coverage. When it rains, check for proper drainage around the house and make sure the gutters don't leak. Inspect all concrete slabs for cracks. Those are some of the things I would do. The Villages warranty department will fix anything you find.
Old 06-09-2022, 05:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kansasr View Post
You have 1 year to notify the builder of problems. Schedule an inspection well in advance, however, as most of the good ones are booked well in advance.

And yes, it is WELL worth it. The inspection on our new home found many defects that were quickly handled by the warranty department.
We bought 9 years ago. Response from the builder for any issues was a positive and pleasant surprise. In terms of well in advance, if close to a deadline I would be sure to put it is writing. I've never heard of it happening but, a letter showing you reported the issue cannot be voided by saying we did not have an opening to look before the warranty ran out.
Old 06-09-2022, 05:29 PM

This Is the Frank DeAngelo of Leesburg? Right? I just put him in my contacts. There's like 50,000 Frank DeAngelos that inspect homes all over the country...lol
Old 06-09-2022, 05:54 PM

Quote:
This Is the Frank DeAngelo of Leesburg? Right? I just put him in my contacts. There's like 50,000 Frank DeAngelos that inspect homes all over the country...lol
Hope this helps!

HOME | dangeloinspections
Old 06-09-2022, 06:20 PM

Another big vote for
Frank D’Angelo he did a amazing job extremely detailed oriented and finds things you would never have thought to look at. He did my house and about 6 of my relatives.
Closed Thread

Tags
home, inspection, protection, wife, favor

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.