Home Inspection on a new build???

Closed Thread
Old 06-09-2022, 09:46 PM
TOTV SPONSOR

First, congratulations on your new home! Our company, (consisting of myself and my two sons, Steven and Eric), specialize in one year warranty inspections in The Villages. We love what we do and currently do about 900 per year.

There are two important dates to know as you begin your live as a new homeowner in The Villages. While most of your home has a 1 year warranty, there ARE about a dozen or so things that are only warrantied for 30 days. The good news is that these are things that most all homeowners can check themselves, as they do not require special tools and are not on your roof or in your attic. Because we stay very busy doing the 11th month inspections, we are happy to help folks advising them how to do a proper 30 day punch list inspection to turn in to the warranty department during your honeymoon period of your first month.

There are many things we will find after your home settles that will not show up during that first month, because your home is still new. The important thing is capturing those 30 day items in time....we will find everything else a month or so before your first year is up.

The important thing to know is that we book up quickly. Currently we are booked solid about 3 month ahead of time. We actually have a few dozen inspections booked for next year already...so if you are interested in us doing your inspection please call well ahead of time.

Unlike some other inspectors, we actually walk all over your roof and crawl all over your attic, documenting issues and taking pictures, video, etc. (This is important). We look at everything with a thermal camera, have tools like moisture meters, etc. We check your sprinkler system, smoke detectors and even your microwave for microwave leakage.

We team inspect, which means that both my two sons will be at your home, or myself and one of my sons. When we are done doing everything we do, we will go over your list of concerns and questions, and we then send the report to both you AND the warranty department the same day we do your inspection.

A warranty inspection is a deeper inspection than a normal pre sale inspection on a "used home". Those inspections only look for mechanical, structural and safety issues. We do all that, and we also look for many other issues that we know The Villages will address if documented.

While we are not the cheapest around, (and never will be), our prices are well below the state and national average. Simply put, if we did not find issues and if our customers did not see value in what we do, we would not be so busy. You paid a good amount for your home....a good thorough warranty inspection gets issues repaired or replaced without opening your wallet. It also gives you piece of mind, especially in areas like the roof and attic, A/C and Panelbox..places most folks have never been into or on. There are good reasons we stay so busy....and just like in life, you get what you pay for. We are one of the very few if not the only inspection company in the area that are ASHI, Nachi and FABI certified. Lastly, we work for YOU and have an ethical obligation to do so. While we get along great with the warranty department, we do not work for The Villages....we work for you.

Well, I hope this helps. We love what we do and are always happy to answer any questions you may have. Thank you for your time and we appreciate the chance to earn your business. Feel free to check out our website; HOME | dangeloinspections or feel free to call us at 352-250-7818.

Respectfully, Frank D'Angelo
Old 06-10-2022, 05:25 AM

We had a home inspection the day we closed. They found several items we never would have seen such as missing roof shingles, cracks, tear in screen on lanai and more. The inspection was sent to warranty department and they started working on it immediately. When you hire the inspector to come back before your year is up again, they should provide a discount. It was well worth the extra cost to us to get that head start on repairing what needed to be repaired.
Old 06-10-2022, 05:56 AM
Location: Currently Michigan soon to be living in The village of St John’s

Quote:
Originally Posted by champion6 View Post
you don't want to skip the home inspection, but postpone it until about 9-10 months after closing. A good inspector will submit the report to the tv home warranty dept. For corrections to be made before the one-year warranty expires.
great info
Old 06-10-2022, 06:38 AM

Quote:
You don't want to skip the home inspection, but postpone it until about 9-10 months after closing. A good inspector will submit the report to the TV Home Warranty Dept. for corrections to be made before the one-year warranty expires.
Yep…exactly what the inspection company told me.
Old 06-10-2022, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStarAirlines View Post
Hope this helps!

HOME | dangeloinspections
Ok,thank you, I found the right Frank.
Old 06-10-2022, 07:05 AM
Veteran member

We did this with our new home 10 months after we had purchased it. The inspector didn't find anything that I hadn't already found and had fixed by the warranty department. For me, it was a waste of money.
Old 06-10-2022, 07:31 AM
Default Warranty issue resolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debfrommaine View Post
Three new homes here and we always get the outside inspection ten months into the first year. Warranty Department quickly gets issues resolved.
It may have been true for you and most people in the past, but Warranty does not always get issues resolved quickly.
Old 06-10-2022, 07:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,131 Times in 417 Posts

Wait 9-10 months to get a better list to submit for your warranty claim. TV warranty service is excellent. After submitting our claim, we had the various sub-contractors coming to address the inspector’s issues within days. I couldn’t have been more satisfied. One sub saw a minor issue (a half hour fix) that wasn’t in the inspector’s report, but he felt should be fixed. He pointed it out and went ahead and corrected it.

Our worst issue was they failed to cut the air vent in the garage roof ridge. Rather than remove shingles, cut the vent and re-shingle, they tore off all the entire garage roof, cut the vent and completely re-shingled the entire roof. I was amazed.

A couple of the subs commented on remembering building our house and how detailed our “builder” was in putting blue tape on everything he wanted corrected. They said we had the best builder in The Villages. The “builder” is the general contractor in charge of building several houses at a time.
Old 06-10-2022, 07:36 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kansasr View Post
You have 1 year to notify the builder of problems. Schedule an inspection well in advance, however, as most of the good ones are booked well in advance.

And yes, it is WELL worth it. The inspection on our new home found many defects that were quickly handled by the warranty department.
Totally agree but beware, some items such as a missing window screen or landscape issues (such as dead sod or bush) you only have 30 days. Builders are under immense pressure to finish on time. Check little things such as caulking & if the springs on the garage door match. You will be glad you did.
Old 06-10-2022, 07:37 AM
Default Warranty will fix anything?

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I would recommend doing a professional inspection about a month or so before the one-year warranty expires. Frank D'Angelo is probably the best. But, when you move in, you should do your own detailed inspection. Inspect the countertops for chips and cracks, especially if they are granite or quartz. Run your finger along every edge top and bottom and feel for a chip. Inspect the seams for tightness. Inspect all porcelain plumbing fixtures for cracks. Inspect every window for fogging between the panes. Open and close every door to make sure they latch properly. Use a good flashlight to inspect all ceilings for roof leaks, even in the closets. Walk on every part of the floors to check for loose tiles or squeaks. Shine the flashlight parallel to the long walls to check for excessive dips and bows in the drywall. Buy an outlet tester and check every electrical outlet. Use a level to check the levelness of the countertops and cabinets. Shine the flashlight in the accessible attic areas and look for good insulation coverage. When it rains, check for proper drainage around the house and make sure the gutters don't leak. Inspect all concrete slabs for cracks. Those are some of the things I would do. The Villages warranty department will fix anything you find.
My current experience is there is a lot of stuff warranty will not fix. And a lot of it not quickly.
Old 06-10-2022, 07:51 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,095 Times in 374 Posts

Quote:
You don't want to skip the home inspection, but postpone it until about 9-10 months after closing. A good inspector will submit the report to the TV Home Warranty Dept. for corrections to be made before the one-year warranty expires.
Good advice but precludes finding some major defect before buying, which may have caused you to change your buying decision. Possibly a remote issue.

Having the Home Warranty is good, but my experience was that it transfers the quality control inspection to the buyer.

Crews building these houses are under pressure to build to a schedule and many hands and trades are involved. One crew may have to cover mistakes by a prior crew. Takes away pride of workmanship.

One example is that a garage door with defective parts was installed. Was not noticed by me. The home inspector I hired found it when I had the home inspected prior to the 1-year warranty expiring. The defect was rusty horizontal galvanized support beams. Certainly, not a deal breaker. The rust was on the downward facing surfaces, not observable unless the door was up and you focused your eyes upward from the entrance to the garage. Required all of those supports to be replaced. When I questioned the builder rep as to how that could happen, he explained that the schedule required the door to be installed at a certain time so that the house could be secured as further work continued (Perhaps installing fixtures, appliances etc). Stopping work to reorder and replace the defective parts was simply not possible, as the work schedule on this house and others must proceed. The workers know that and no punch list was created for follow-up action as they know the customer is covered by a home warranty.

Another example was unfinished tile work in the walk- in shower. The top edge of the tile was not sealed leaving a gap between the tile and dry wall allowing moisture access behind the tile (possible mold issue). The inspector did not even find this. I found it when I was painting that section above the tile. Again, somebody neglected to properly finish the job and the follow-on painters did not feel a need to have it corrected. Left up to the buyer.

Not saying that The Villages provides an inferior home value, but the process and schedule can create issues left for you to resolve. Hence, the Home Warranty is offered as a benefit to cover these issues.
Old 06-10-2022, 07:59 AM

I am a retired contractor and do my own inspections on new and old homes. I don’t seem much reason for an inspector when everything is under warranty for the year. But the one person who mentioned to get at home inspection 8 to 9 months after you been in the house it’s not a bad idea especially if you’re not familiar with construction. But also if you’re living in that house for nine months you should know what works and but don’t work by that time. But for a few hundred bucks it’s usually worth sound of mine. But inspections are only as good as the inspector is. But again their warranty department here in The Villages has been very good to us and has fixed everything we said needs to be fixed.
Congratulations on your new purchase. And welcome to The Villages
Old 06-10-2022, 08:00 AM

IMHO Money spent on home inspection here in TV would be perhaps some of the best $ ever utilized. With the rapidly increasing pace of construction, there are bound to be more issues. The inspector will find things you might miss. A report submitted directly to warranty from an inspector like D'Angelo carries more weight than you as the homeowner. He is the best according to many personal references. I have D'Angelo scheduled and he has helped me immensely even before my inspection. I wish I had an inspection right after closing as well. At minimum I recommend booking now for D'Angelo at 10 months. If they happen to find very few issues then count your blessings and you will have some peace of mind. Good luck!
Old 06-10-2022, 08:07 AM

Quite a few homes in my area had missing insulation found during their home inspections. Are you going up into your attic to inspect? Do you know how much is supposed to be there? Do you own a Thermal camera and know how to use it? Are you going up and walking around on your roof to inspect it?
Old 06-10-2022, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom&JenC View Post
We close on our new home (Village of DeLuna) in 2 weeks. Is it worth getting a regular home inspection on a brand new home? This is our first new home so we're not sure about this. Is the new home guarantee enough protection? it would be nice to save a few bucks, I guess. I'm in favor of getting it, the wife not so much.
I totally agree. We had Frank DeAngelo come out about a month before the 1-year warranty was up and found quite a few items that we would never have been able to see. Well worth the money considering the items they found. P.S we made our appointment 9 months in advance!
Closed Thread

Tags
home, inspection, protection, wife, favor

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.