Home inspections on a new home

Old 01-19-2024, 08:04 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steam View Post
What do you think about having an independent home inspector looking at a new home before you buy it ? It it really needed? Can anyone recommend independent inspectors in the villages ?
Thanks
doesn't matter if it's new or not ALWAYS do the inspection. It has paid off for us in the past big time.
Old 01-19-2024, 08:14 AM

YES, you need one,
Jeff Asbach.
Old 01-19-2024, 08:25 AM

Quote:
What do you think about having an independent home inspector looking at a new home before you buy it ? It it really needed? Can anyone recommend independent inspectors in the villages ?
Thanks
If you’re talking about a brand new villages home you won’t be allowed to do anything before closing. We closed in Dec 2022, and weren’t allowed to hire anyone to do anything while still in escrow.
Old 01-19-2024, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Thanks
I don't think it matters if there isn't a contingency in the contract. Just like there's no contingency for a loan.
Old 01-19-2024, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Thanks
Personally I think most of them are a total waste of money especially on a brand new home that is covered with a a bumper to bumper warranty for a year.
Old 01-19-2024, 09:06 AM

$275 great investment

Quote:
Thanks
Old 01-19-2024, 09:10 AM

Grant inspections. Very smooth inspection. Very few items. Actually they pointed out good things the builder did.
Old 01-19-2024, 09:19 AM

I believe as a real estate agent for 30 years, I have always recommended having a four stage inspection during the building process. Foundation/ frame, plumbing and electrical, drywall and roof. It is a little more expensive but well worth it. If the home is already built the one year inspection is perfect
Old 01-19-2024, 10:25 AM

I agree with the Village Tinker. You should definitely get a home inspection on your new home before the one year warrenty runs out. You will be amazed what they will find. When I had my house done they found cement in my patio that was breaking up. I never would have looked for that. They also found problems with roofing shingles. They gave me a very detailed report which had pics of all discrepancies and info about my house that I wasn’t aware of.
Old 01-19-2024, 11:28 AM

I do not think The Villages allows you to have a home inspection on new construction before purchase since you don't own the home and they do. I know they allowed my State Farm inspection for sinkhole coverage to be performed prior to closing. I suggest a home inspection right after closing even if just for cosmetic issues. Cosmetic issues must be reported within the first seven days. If you do not have an attention to detail, then at least have someone who does come in and give a good exam. A good way is to examine during different times of day and night. When direct sunlight hits my cabinets they look awful. When it is very dark out, turn out all the lights and examine everything with a flashlight - you will be shocked! You may need to clean the windows and I say this is a priority to examine them. If cosmetic defects do not bother you and you are willing to live with them then you do not need to worry about this at all. I have been in numerous new homes that have tons of cosmetic defects and other people seem to be oblivious or choose to do nothing about them.
Old 01-19-2024, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Thanks
UNFORTUNATELY it is probably NOT in your best interest
to rely on your RE agent to assign the Home Inspector, and
represent you if you cannot be present for the process.

AS my wife and I found out when ALL 12 windows were
in need of repair, but Inspector only noted 4 as in need
of repair/replacement on the report, and

have also noticed that the Circuit Breakers for countertop
receptacles are 20 amp, BUT All outlets are only 15 amp.
* NOT recommended for Air Friers and assoc appliances

MANY MORE miscellaneous Defects and Discrepancies
are being revealed as we acquaint with our new home

Last edited by MicRoDrafting; 01-19-2024 at 11:44 AM.
Old 01-19-2024, 11:51 AM

You can hire an independent home inspector for right after closing. D'Angelo and Asbach are the most popular and send their reports directly to the warranty department. They are very good inspectors and find things you probably will not. The D'Angelos told me they focus on what they know warranty will fix. I would suggest you to look at the report before it goes over and make sure everything you want is in it. I wish I would have had an inspection right after closing. I waited until 10 months. We had almost no insulation in our attic and that could have been remedied a lot sooner. We reported well over 100 defects after closing. Our 10 month D'Angelo
inspection reported 62 defects. The warranty department told me all warranty work must be completed by the one year anniversary date. This contradicts what we were verbally told, "As long as it is reported before the one year is up it will be fixed." Also many people will repeat the salepeople's pitch, "Warranty is wonderful and will fix everything." This we also found not to be true in our case. The sooner you get defects reported and fixed, the more time you have to stay on it, and the better off you are. Good luck!
Old 01-19-2024, 12:08 PM
Default PGT Windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pondboy View Post
We had scratches on all ours as well. Got them replaced and one of the replacements had a scratch as well.
I am 28 months since closing and still dealing with these very subpar PGT windows. Many of our windows and sliders have been replaced multiple times. One visit we were scheduled for 17 windows and two sliders. They showed up short 5 windows! The latest visit was an inspection I requested that found 8 windows that were previously replaced were the wrong glass. So next visit will be replacing them again. After that is resolved, I have asked that the many manufacturing marks be removed. I have been looking at them for 28 months but can't have that work done until all the glass is replaced. When we signed to have our custom home built, PGT was not the window supplier. This is a major disappointment. PGT windows used in The Villages new construction are a terrible product and have terrible installation. The vinyl is all scratched and the caulking is extremely messy. I know a couple who right after closing had every single window replaced due to poor installation.
Old 01-19-2024, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRcorvette View Post
Personally I think most of them are a total waste of money especially on a brand new home that is covered with a a bumper to bumper warranty for a year.
Gonna have to disagree with you….. our inspection noted not enough insulation in attic, HVAC Condenser placed directly under area where two sections of roof created a valley….thus allowing water from roof to pour into condenser……just to name a few issues.
Old 01-19-2024, 01:17 PM
Default Great Florida home Inspector

Quote:
What do you think about having an independent home inspector looking at a new home before you buy it ? It it really needed? Can anyone recommend independent inspectors in the Villages ?
Thanks
Give Accurate Home Inspection a call 352-915-9084 For pre-owned full home inspections.

Last edited by Wayne Mudge; 01-22-2024 at 07:01 AM. Reason: Mistake in phone number.

Tags
home, independent, buy, villages, inspectors

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.