home insurance ( I know. . . )

Old 04-03-2024, 03:06 PM
Default home insurance ( I know. . . )

In my last post I mentioned that I might be opening pandora’s box when I asked for a VLS recommendation [thanks all for replying] well here we go again. . . . I know we have all been concerned about the insurance [car and home] crisis, not just in FL, but all over the country. As a person who is considering TV, I would like to hear from folks who recently have purchased and if the home insurance was difficult to obtain [on resale or new]? Hard to find a company? Was the premium shockingly high? Did it influence your decision to move to TV? We have only been looking at properties with new roofs, updated water heater and HVAC, believing that will help keep premium lower. I read an older post on the forum and some said their rates have gone up for the last few years, some drastically, some a little. Thoughts please. Thank you

Old 04-03-2024, 03:37 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartofthecountry View Post
In my last post I mentioned that I might be opening pandora’s box when I asked for a VLS recommendation [thanks all for replying] well here we go again. . . . I know we have all been concerned about the insurance [car and home] crisis, not just in FL, but all over the country. As a person who is considering TV, I would like to hear from folks who recently have purchased and if the home insurance was difficult to obtain [on resale or new]? Hard to find a company? Was the premium shockingly high? Did it influence your decision to move to TV? We have only been looking at properties with new roofs, updated water heater and HVAC, believing that will help keep premium lower. I read an older post on the forum and some said their rates have gone up for the last few years, some drastically, some a little. Thoughts please. Thank you
There will NEVER be a simple answer to your questions. Insurance rates differ based on the type of home, deductible, type of protection requested, area (sinkholes or flood) age of home, square footage, type of build, and on.

Before you purchase a home, you should call several insurance companies. Take the time to review the policy with the agent. Ask questions. If you find the rate is TOO HIGH, look at different types of homes. Sooner or later, you will find a home that you are willing to pay the insurance rate.

Most insurance rates go up because the cost to rebuild if destroyed has increased. You cannot expect your rate to remain the same year after year. If you lived in your home for 10 years without significant rate hikes, it is possible the next year your rate may double. The rate is based on the cost to rebuild at the CURRENT time.

Last edited by Randall55; 04-03-2024 at 03:46 PM.

Old 04-04-2024, 10:48 AM

Quote:
We bought a new house, we stayed with State Farm insurance as I've had it my entire life and have been happy with it. The rates are higher than they are in Tennessee and Texas, not double but maybe 50% higher.

Auto insurance was surprisingly cheap compared to what I've heard others say but again I've had them for ages and that long history seems to grant much lower rates.

I just shopped golf cart insurance and it is about 180 a year for a new cheap cart. That seemed high to me but after a couple of recent threads I'm ok with that price.

The biggest increase was the PLUP policy, I carry 2M and it was double what I've paid elsewhere. The agent said FL is much more litigious than TN or TX so that's the reason for the much higher rate.

Old 04-04-2024, 11:56 AM

We just closed on our home last month and went with State Farm after speaking with 3-4 other insurers -- SF was the lowest cost and not terribly expensive, but we did benefit from multi-lines so SF carries our other home and cars.

Old 04-04-2024, 12:36 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,134 Times in 814 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tustin714 View Post
SF was the lowest cost and not terribly expensive, but we did benefit from multi-lines so SF carries our other home and cars.

I also have State Farm and bundle three polices.
From what I read, I'm skeptical about those big savings I'm getting to bundle.

The next time I talk to my agent, I'll question that so called "savings".

I guess in this day and age I don't trust big Company's.

Old 04-04-2024, 12:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,761 Times in 5,264 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael G. View Post
I also have State Farm and bundle three polices.
From what I read, I'm skeptical about those big savings I'm getting to bundle.

The next time I talk to my agent, I'll question that so called "savings".

I guess in this day and age I don't trust big Company's.
I agree. I was once told that I was saving 25 percent by bundling my auto and homeowners insurance. But, when I actually did the math, the real saving was less than 5 percent. The reason was that the agent was not comparing apples to apples. He was including other discounts that were not related to the bundling discount.

Old 04-05-2024, 05:54 AM

Quote:
One option to consider: KIN Insurance. I did my research and was impressed and we switched to them two years ago. Check multiple review sites on your top choices. Some review sites are funded by the companies themselves but good info is out there.

Old 04-05-2024, 05:58 AM

If anyone wants a quote, please feel free to contact me. I’ve helped several neighbors. I’m an Allstate Agent working remote. Allstate is not writing property however; we have multiple partners I can provide a quote from. Please feel free to call 954-437-9220 ext. 308 or email hrichardson4@allstate.com.

Old 04-05-2024, 06:05 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
in my last post i mentioned that i might be opening pandora’s box when i asked for a vls recommendation [thanks all for replying] well here we go again. . . . I know we have all been concerned about the insurance [car and home] crisis, not just in fl, but all over the country. As a person who is considering tv, i would like to hear from folks who recently have purchased and if the home insurance was difficult to obtain [on resale or new]? Hard to find a company? Was the premium shockingly high? Did it influence your decision to move to tv? We have only been looking at properties with new roofs, updated water heater and hvac, believing that will help keep premium lower. I read an older post on the forum and some said their rates have gone up for the last few years, some drastically, some a little. Thoughts please. Thank you
bohica!!!

Old 04-05-2024, 06:14 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,076 Times in 432 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donegalkid View Post
One option to consider: KIN Insurance. I did my research and was impressed and we switched to them two years ago. Check multiple review sites on your top choices. Some review sites are funded by the companies themselves but good info is out there.
The devil may be in the details. I just went through getting homeowners insurance quotes from 7 insurance companies. Initially, Kin Insurance looked attractive. But...their quote did not include sinkhole coverage. When I had them re-bid the policy with sinkhole coverage, the rate and deductible were shockingly high. We eventually went with State Farm, and Kin's bid was 62% higher, and their sinkhole deductible was $71,500 vs State Farm's $1,000.

Old 04-05-2024, 06:41 AM

This is the most intelligent response that I've seen in a long time. Thanks for being the voice of reason.

Old 04-05-2024, 07:48 AM

We have State Farm as well. Our designer home is new, and we have 100% replacement cost coverage at just under $1700. Not double, but certainly an increase over what our other house in Upstate NY costs. FWIW, sinkhole coverage only adds $47/year.

Old 04-05-2024, 08:20 AM

Just closed on a new patio villa home 2 weeks ago and got 3 quotes. All 3 were very close but about 40% higher compared to a million dollar lake home in MI. I can only assume it’s due to higher FL replacement costs and hurricane devastations. Not much of a choice.

Old 04-05-2024, 10:00 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Saw and read most of the replys and a lot of good thoughts and 1st reply was the best as it described all of the questions about insurance. As a caveat IF there is a bad hurricane in the near future in Florida, all bets are off.

Have lived in Florida entire life. Central Florida's insurance cost(now) for a 300K house should be around 2K. Closer to the coast expect to pay at least 5K. On the coast you will probably need impact resistant glass or shutters to get that rate. This is not required in Cental Florida. Saw a lot of recommendations on State Farm. They will not insure our 25 year old home due to it's age. Even if had better construction(concrete) they still would not accept it. Would not be too concerned about the water heater. They only last around 10 years and new one will cost <1k. Roof will probably cost about $600 a square if it is required to be replaced.

Old 04-23-2024, 02:31 PM

Just another data point: State Farm informed me they were not writing new policies for homes built prior to 2021 (I’m 2019) because it was unlikely mine was constructed with a sealed roof deck system which is apparently now required or at least common.

Edited: originally was told 2020 or newer. I believe code on roof underlayment changed 2020.

Last edited by Spartan86; 04-23-2024 at 03:25 PM.

Tags
insurance, home, post, premium, roofs

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.