Character at Squares

Closed Thread
Old 06-11-2021, 08:07 PM
Default Character at Squares

Have any of you seen the guy, usually at Spanish Springs, that carries around a baton and dances solo to the music? I don't want to sound too harsh here, but personally I'm annoyed by some of his "act". He may have some sort of issue that deserves tolerance, but part of his routine is to regularly let out screams during the music.

I can understand that the powers-that-be would be cautious to intervene regarding most of his behaviour, but the screams in my opinion cross the line. They are so loud and blood curdling that they are a distraction to the music and, especially if nearby and unanticipated, they are startling and even a bit scary.

Maybe everybody but me thinks it's cute. Again, part of me has sympathy for the gentleman. His dancing alone would likely be just another curiosity at the square. But I simply don't think the extreme part of his antics...the screaming...should be tolerated.

Okay. I've vented.
Old 06-11-2021, 08:15 PM
Default rude guy

Dont go there if you get annoyed
Old 06-11-2021, 08:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,932 Times in 2,455 Posts

Lots of (c—-/drunks) characters at the squares, it’s magnet. Some even make headlines in online tabloid.
Old 06-11-2021, 08:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,513 Times in 3,106 Posts

He's not a drunk. We call him "backpack man." He's definitely exuberant, I think that's the word I'd use. A little eccentric, but he's actually a very nice man, has a joy of life you don't see much. And yeah sometimes he'll get a little over-enthused with certain songs and do the "one two three!" loud enough to be heard on the other side of the square. The baton was given to him by a fan. The largest thing in his backpack is a gallon of water, which he pours into a cup and drinks from while he's there.

He comes almost every night, and says that his dancing is how he keeps fit (and it you'd actually get a look at him - he's very fit).

Most people just assume he's a little crazy and avoid him but some folks actually take a few moments out of their lives to talk to him and learn better.
Old 06-11-2021, 08:41 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,319 Times in 462 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
He's not a drunk. We call him "backpack man." He's definitely exuberant, I think that's the word I'd use. A little eccentric, but he's actually a very nice man, has a joy of life you don't see much. And yeah sometimes he'll get a little over-enthused with certain songs and do the "one two three!" loud enough to be heard on the other side of the square. The baton was given to him by a fan. The largest thing in his backpack is a gallon of water, which he pours into a cup and drinks from while he's there.

He comes almost every night, and says that his dancing is how he keeps fit (and it you'd actually get a look at him - he's very fit).

Most people just assume he's a little crazy and avoid him but some folks actually take a few moments out of their lives to talk to him and learn better.

Yep a nice guy if you get to know him. He has a way with the ladies also believe it or not.
Old 06-11-2021, 08:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,513 Times in 3,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley View Post
Yep a nice guy if you get to know him. He has a way with the ladies also believe it or not.
How about that - Backpack man manages to get two people who are diametrically opposed to each other in every other way, to agree on something.

Y'all who have a problem with Backpack Man are sad. This guy, for all his hollers and hoots, is a man who wants to spread love. If you can't accept it, don't come to the square.
Old 06-11-2021, 09:03 PM

Again, I will say just one more time and then leave this thread alone…

I have no problem with the gentleman…that’s what I called him in my op…except for the screaming. The screaming is not cute in any way.

Those of you who condescendingly advise to simply not go the square are far more annoying that he is.
Old 06-11-2021, 09:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,932 Times in 2,455 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post

My opinion of squares in general, as long s he don’t make headline news not in my generalization category.
Old 06-12-2021, 05:02 AM

Doesn't bother me at all, in fact, I enjoy his antics, screaming included. Live & let live brother.
Old 06-12-2021, 05:12 AM

Mark is a great guy. And you can keep an eye on him 😂.
You can’t keep an eye on the murderers that come to Spanish Springs kill our youth
and get away with it. I would bet that if Mark was there that night that Brice and Metcalfe murdered Austin Stevens the later would be alive today. Don’t go.
Old 06-12-2021, 05:15 AM

Who are these powers to be that you refer to? You? Have you heard the word tolerance. Try it. I like watching him and he has obviously made many friends because I see them talking with him. How many friends have you made down at the square.
Old 06-12-2021, 05:27 AM

Yes. I’ve seen him. If you find him offensive, don’t go. We have three squares and Edna’s from which to choose.
Old 06-12-2021, 05:28 AM

We avoid SS most of the time because of this guy. We believe he has some mental health issues, having regular exposure to such things in our daily life. If he crosses the line someday and someone gets hurt when he goes off the rails, everyone will wonder why someone didn't help this individual. Mental health has long been shuttered to a back closet in this country...something to be whispered about but not discussed in the open. Time to provide the funds needed to properly care for those with mental illness rather than just letting them roam the streets.
Old 06-12-2021, 05:29 AM

We call him "the Conductor".
No matter what else you think, it's wonderful that villagers feel free enough to express their emotions. So much joy expressed every night
Old 06-12-2021, 05:52 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,558 Times in 597 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor View Post
We avoid SS most of the time because of this guy. We believe he has some mental health issues, having regular exposure to such things in our daily life. If he crosses the line someday and someone gets hurt when he goes off the rails, everyone will wonder why someone didn't help this individual. Mental health has long been shuttered to a back closet in this country...something to be whispered about but not discussed in the open. Time to provide the funds needed to properly care for those with
mental illness rather than just letting them roam the streets.
Seriously? Because hes eccentric you feel hes mentally ill? Very smart that you avoid SS because of him. If he annoys or scares you, then stay away. Take the OP with you
Closed Thread

Tags
music, part, screams, nearby, distraction

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.