Home Owners Insurance Rates

Closed Thread
Old 06-20-2011, 11:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts
Default Chi Town have you

requested Wind inspection (free)....Will definitely reduce your rate!
Our Premiers insurance with Village Insurance with ALL coverage except (if our attack dog??, dachshund, should bite) was $1100.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Town View Post
I have ASI coverage for my Designer model through the Villages Insurance. July '09 - $1300. July '11 $1800.00. Same coverage, no claims. Hardly in keeping with the inflation rate.
Old 06-20-2011, 11:57 AM
Gold member

Thanks everyone. Our three year old grandson is here visiting so it's a great distraction ! It was quite a dramatic welcome for him and his parents who came from Seattle ! Otherwise I'd be pacing the floor waiting for everything to get fixed.
Old 06-20-2011, 12:48 PM
Send a message via AIM to DENNIS G Send a message via MSN to DENNIS G
Default Homeowner insurance

WOW! Just got our renewal, it went up $810. this year.
Old 06-20-2011, 03:01 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Without boring anyone ...if anyone posting on this thread understands the benefits of property/casualty insurnce iot is me. However in that same vien, I have never been anywhere wherein I have witnessed rate increases to this magnitude. I really resent that I am subsidizing homeowners all along the coast line. There is not way an insurer can justify these % of increases based the the loss experience in this area
Old 06-21-2011, 11:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebartle View Post
requested Wind inspection (free)....Will definitely reduce your rate!
Our Premiers insurance with Village Insurance with ALL coverage except (if our attack dog??, dachshund, should bite) was $1100.
jebartle, what is Wind inspection? I talked to the Villages Insurance today, and they told me that the state insurance commissioner gave the OK to the insurance companies to raise their rates. Evidently there was a ceiling in place that the companies said was unfair and they needed to catch up. Beware of new yearly bills is all I can say.
Old 06-21-2011, 12:59 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Town View Post
jebartle, what is Wind inspection? I talked to the Villages Insurance today, and they told me that the state insurance commissioner gave the OK to the insurance companies to raise their rates. Evidently there was a ceiling in place that the companies said was unfair and they needed to catch up. Beware of new yearly bills is all I can say.
My agent told me that Florida insurers are either raising rates, reducing coverages, or both, or canceling policies. she claims that people will be getting hefty increases at their renewals. One of the reduction of coverages is with sinkholes
Old 06-21-2011, 04:19 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentucky blue View Post
Another question on home owners insurance.For those of you who rent your property in TV, how much more is your insurance premium?I'm sure you have to disclose the fact that you will be renting your property when you applied for insurance. Also,how much of a problem have sinkholes been in the past in TV's? Finally, Shadow i'm glad your around , just for a little balance and some informative post.
Insurance when we were renting was a little less - you cannot get replacement insurance when you are renting it out. Ours went up a little (around $800) last fall when we moved down and quit renting it out. I think it was just under $600 5 years ago when new, and has risen slightly most years, might still be under $800. 3 BR CYV.

By the way, The Villages Insurance is an agency, not the carrier. We have ASI. Most carriers limit their Florida exposure and only take a certain # of properties in Florida, even if you are not on the coast, although coastal premiums are higher. Will be waiting to see if ours has a big jump on renewal this fall. Hope not. Maybe some of you have larger premiums because of high liability coverage? as well as low deductibles?
Old 06-21-2011, 04:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

I just took out a policy two weeks ago on a new Savannah Woodlawn Courtyard Villa in Tamarind Grove. I used Sherri Miller at Villages Insurance and requested ASI, however she said they have stopped writing policies and set me up with American Integrity. Replacement value of $160,000 with sink hole and wind storm came to $532 a year. It didn't seem too bad since I pay about that same amount in Maryland for a $265,000 home but without hurricanes or sink holes.
Old 06-22-2011, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
Without boring anyone ...if anyone posting on this thread understands the benefits of property/casualty insurnce iot is me. However in that same vien, I have never been anywhere wherein I have witnessed rate increases to this magnitude. I really resent that I am subsidizing homeowners all along the coast line. There is not way an insurer can justify these % of increases based the the loss experience in this area
It appears to me that insurance commisioner kevin mccarty just rubberstamps anything the most profitable insurance companies tell him to....................what will these massive increases do to property value?Is an appointed commisioner best for the citizens, or the insurance companies?I think that he should be invited to speak at one of the Squares ,I am sure that he would be more then happy to stand at the podium and answer any quetions as to why the people in the villages should have to subsidize the people in his part of the state!!
Old 06-22-2011, 12:07 PM

When did these increases start? I renewed my home owners policy in April with no increase over last year.
Old 06-22-2011, 02:47 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by handyman View Post
It appears to me that insurance commisioner kevin mccarty just rubberstamps anything the most profitable insurance companies tell him to....................what will these massive increases do to property value?Is an appointed commisioner best for the citizens, or the insurance companies?I think that he should be invited to speak at one of the Squares ,I am sure that he would be more then happy to stand at the podium and answer any quetions as to why the people in the villages should have to subsidize the people in his part of the state!!
In the 1970's several large insurers bolted against the state of New Jersey because the state had unlimited No Fault coverage and would not grant premium increases. So the large insurers State Farm, Nationwide, Allstate, etc. told the State that they would stop writing auto. So the State told the insurers if you won't write auto you won't write anything. Some of these companies pulled out and left a capacity gap which the state tried to plug with a JUA which went broke. Sound familiar hint, Citizen Property. So NJ made peace with the insurers and after better than 10 years they came back to the State. It appears the large insurers told the state of Florida they would pull out and the rest is extraordianry increases.

For those of you who have not received your renewals yet...be prepared for future sticker shock
Old 06-23-2011, 12:19 AM

We just switched from SF to ASI via AAA in May. We have been with SF for 30 some years and when we become frogs next year we will change insurance for everything else to AAA. why continue to support an insurance company with ur other insurance needs when u don't or can't use them for ur homeowners insurance? You lose ur multi coverage discount then. We were going to pay $1600 for a 1800sqf patio villa down to $850.
Old 07-30-2011, 04:19 PM
Veteran member

Article in Orlando Sentinal on sinkhole insurance today..

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/...0,358515.story

Is this bologna? Is TV in what they call a high risk area? I had heard of a few issues but not many for an area as large as TV.
Thanks.
JJ
Old 07-30-2011, 05:13 PM

I saw this article and called my agent ... he tells me that there is a huge problem with fraudulent claims, currently in the area west of I75 in the Tampa area, BUT he has seen ads for "sinkhole adjusters" in TV and predicts it will only be a matter of time ... FWIW ... maybe the new legislation will slow the fraudulent claims ...
Old 07-30-2011, 08:47 PM
Gold member

Here is an online map of sink holes in Fl. Go to the county you live in then check on the zoomify version for a closer look.

http://fcit.usf.edu/florida/maps/gal...oles/index.php

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.