A qustion about golf carts breaking the law.

Closed Thread
Old 08-20-2007, 06:10 AM
Founder
Default A qustion about golf carts breaking the law.

It has been well publicized that the police will ticket golf carts that exceed 19.9 miles per hour or fail to stop at stop signs. In fact, if I remember correctly, the Sumter sheriff said that 19 carts were ticketed in one particular period. Bravo, I say. But here's my question. I am under the impression that the cart trails are not public streets. They are private property. How can the police ticket on private property?
Old 08-20-2007, 09:04 AM
Default Re: A qustion about golf carts breaking the law.

i imagine those speeding tickets were issued in neighborhoods where the speed limit is below 20 m.p.h. and the not stopping at signage tickets were on the many public streets in the villages.
Old 08-20-2007, 01:10 PM

Here's my take on this:
By definition, golf carts are not capable of speeds in excess of 20MPH. So, I think if a ticket is issued, it it should be for a non licensed motor vehicle, if it is on a public road. I also understand that golf part paths are private property so cops can't stop a cart for speeding, for example, the paths down 466 are wide open and easy to exceed 20 MPH. I can't find any statutes that say anything about golf cart speed limits. It is pretty vague and subject to interpretation.

Lots of places there are these plastic pillars with stop written on them that cross driveways, etc (near New Covenant Church, for example). I don't think carts are obliged to stop at these either because they aren't on public roads. So, how can the cops write tickets for not stopping?

There are lots of carts out there that exceed 20 MPH (not mine) and I haven't heard of anyone getting a ticket for excess speed on their cart. The speed limit in our village is 15 MPH and is exceeded constantly.

Old 08-21-2007, 05:39 PM
Veteran member

A stop sign is a stop sign and the developer is starting to put more attention to golf cart drivers who disregard traffic rules. Some golf cart drivers believe they always have the rght of way...sorry, new signs will ensure that they know that cars have the right of way. I am sick and tired of people who have their golf carts souped up to go over the allowable mph. When you are retired, where the he>> do you have to be in such a hurry!!!!!!!! I hope the cops do ticket the golf cart drivers especially on Morse Blvd and other roads where they share the road with cars and other vehicles. :edit: :edit: :edit: :edit:
Old 08-22-2007, 01:04 PM

Not that I drink allot, I'm just wondering. How close do the local police enforce drinking and driving golf carts?
Old 08-22-2007, 09:39 PM
Eternal Member

I saw a motorcycle cop chase down a golf cart on the golf cart path between Saddlebrook and Glenbrook one day. Don't know why.

I have seen it in the Daily Sun that if they catch you (or your passenger) in a cart with an open container you are toast.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.