LSV bill signed

Closed Thread
Old 06-18-2013, 07:01 AM
Default LSV bill signed

Governor Scott has just signed into law yesterday the LSV bill, this will let any owner that owns a LSV to covert it back to a regular golf cart. This will let people get out of paying outrageous Insurance rates. The Golden goose has just died.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdills View Post
Governor Scott has just signed into law yesterday the LSV bill, this will let any owner that owns a LSV to covert it back to a regular golf cart. This will let people get out of paying outrageous Insurance rates. The Golden goose has just died.
It will also reward them since they already cashed in on the huge Federal Tax Credits they received when they bought them knowing full well that they had to be used as on road vehicles.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:25 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glencus View Post
It will also reward them since they already cashed in on the huge Federal Tax Credits they received when they bought them knowing full well that they had to be used as on road vehicles.
yep...lots of sour grapes out there because they didn't jump on the wagon when it was available.

Old 06-18-2013, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red tail View Post
yep...lots of sour grapes out there because they didn't jump on the wagon when it was available.

A few might feel that way. More likely that the majority will feel their taxes ended up subsidizing their neighbors who received a large tax rebate and now get off the hook. Just where do you think the tax rebate money came from. Oh, perhaps the rest of us who pay taxes.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:41 AM
Veteran member

It you are retired and paying taxes you must have a financial adviser that still has to work for a living.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:44 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glencus View Post
A few might feel that way. More likely that the majority will feel their taxes ended up subsidizing their neighbors who received a large tax rebate and now get off the hook. Just where do you think the tax rebate money came from. Oh, perhaps the rest of us who pay taxes.
It came from my taxes. to qualify you had to owe more than the rebate. so if you didn't pay a large amount of taxes you couldn't get it.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:56 AM
Gold member

Do owners of these golf carts have to put a governor on them to reduce their speed ?
Old 06-18-2013, 09:32 AM
Veteran member

The rules were, that when purchasing an LSV you had to keep it as such for 2 yrs. to qualify for the rebate. I believe all that want to change back have done that.

Last edited by Moderator; 06-18-2013 at 10:28 AM. Reason: edited out unnecessary comment
Old 06-18-2013, 09:59 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy steam View Post
Do owners of these golf carts have to put a governor on them to reduce their speed ?
The owners have to take the carts to a certified shop to have the alteration done to make them go no faster than 20 mph. Of course, I really wonder how many will do that instead of doing nothing and trying to keep the LSV under 20 mph with their speedometer (while in areas that police might monitor)?

I would be willing to bet an ice-cold Yeungling draft that we will see plenty of formerly licensed LSV's going well above the legal speed limit of 20 mph. Any takers?
Old 06-18-2013, 10:33 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggyone View Post
The owners have to take the carts to a certified shop to have the alteration done to make them go no faster than 20 mph. Of course, I really wonder how many will do that instead of doing nothing and trying to keep the LSV under 20 mph with their speedometer (while in areas that police might monitor)?

I would be willing to bet an ice-cold Yeungling draft that we will see plenty of formerly licensed LSV's going well above the legal speed limit of 20 mph. Any takers?
Your information is only partially correct. Owners must also have these modifications registered with the state for them to get the insurance reduction (can't just take the foot off the pedal.) For them to be brought back to above 20 MPH would require a second visit to a mechanic to have them adjusted back up. Since few licensed mechanics will want to jeopardize their license to violate state law, I suspect that the converted LSVs will be, as a class, far more compliant than most electric and gas golf carts. ... and I would take that bet.
Old 06-18-2013, 10:35 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggyone View Post

seems to me that there are many "normal" golf carts that go over 20mph. So do they have to go to a certified shop to have the governor put on them too?

Sterling, IL; Hunter's Creek, Orlando, FL; The Villages
Old 06-18-2013, 11:21 AM
Sage

If they are cited by the police on a public road or street and going over 20 mph, yes, they would have to show paperwork to the judge this work has been accomplished by the court date.

The citation by the police is not just for exceeding the speed limit but is for operation of a vehicle on a street that is not up to street code. Very expensive!
Old 06-18-2013, 11:59 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVMayor View Post
It you are retired and paying taxes you must have a financial adviser that still has to work for a living.
The primary reason we chose to move to Florida is to avoid State Income Taxes. If you are not paying any, maybe you need to readjust your portfolio.
How else can one live in retirement?
Old 06-18-2013, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red tail View Post
It came from my taxes. to qualify you had to owe more than the rebate. so if you didn't pay a large amount of taxes you couldn't get it.
That year I adjusted my income so the rebate on both of my carts can cancelled my entire tax bill.

As far as the whiners who think that I shouldn't have taken advantage of the credits, if I don't take them someone else will, nothing illegal or immoral about it.

This new law will allow me to clean up my paperwork as I de-streeted both my carts two years ago.
Old 06-18-2013, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy steam View Post
I have a handheld controller that can change the Curtis controller parameters. I dialed my max speed to 20 mph when I de-streeted them two years ago.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.