Home Owners Insurance Rebate

Closed Thread
Old 11-28-2007, 01:59 AM
Eternal Member
Default Home Owners Insurance Rebate

This was discussed in an earlier thread but I thought I would start a new one.

Would you like to get a rebate on your home owners insurance? Here is a chance to get one.

The state of Florida has been offering a free wind inspection program for quite a while now. From what I read at the site it is still free. When I called my homeowner's insurance company to see what this meant to me, they said that if you qualify, you can get up a rebate on your hurricane coverage that is in your homeowner's policy.

I had my home inspected and the inspector gave me completed form to give to my insurance company. The inspection takes about 1/2 hour. They check up in the attic for the number of nails in the joists and the type of strapping that holds the roof to the base of the house and other items. They also check outside for certain structural items. Certain roof styles also qualify for an additional rebate.

I asked why we had to have the inspections since we live in TV and all houses should be the same. He replied that just because all of the houses look alike does not mean that the builders followed the same rules.

For most houses in my section of TV, there is a $200-600 reduction of our insurance rates. This means a rebate check if you pay in full or a reduction in your monthly payment if you pay monthly. And the inspection is noted on your policy for the following years.

The wind inspection has nothing to do with the rebate program that was highlighted in the Daily Sun today.

Go to www.mysafefloridahome.com and click on Wind Inspections on the left hand side and go to the Q&A to see if you qualify. Most of us do. Read the information at the site to see what you need to do to arrange for a free wind inspection for your home. Then click on the Application for Wind Inspection to fill out a wind inspection form.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 11-28-2007, 04:44 AM
Platinum member
Default Re: Home Owners Insurance Rebate

Had mine inspected weeks ago. Still waiting for the report in the mail. When did you get yours?

Skip
Old 11-29-2007, 02:08 AM
Eternal Member

The inspector gave me the report and I made a copy for myself and drove the other one over to the insurance office.

I had mine done after October 31, They had to give us the form to speed things up according to the blurb at the site - http://www.mysafefloridahome.com/

Maybe there is someone you can call.

Old 11-29-2007, 02:43 AM

Central Florida is not in the wind damage area. There was an article in the Sun this last week about the wind program and it gave the areas that it covered There is another program about how your house was constructed and by what code and I think the state has suspended it. I had my house done and the inspector gave me a copy of the report before he left
drd
Old 11-29-2007, 03:04 AM
Eternal Member

As I mentioned in my post that the wind damage has nothing to do with the wind inspection. If you want a rebate on your home insurance follow the instructions in my post.

If you have any questions or concerns, please call your home insurance company and ask.

Old 11-29-2007, 03:15 AM
Gold member

The fellow that did my home inspection told me that the insurance company's are billing people as if their homes are not built to hurricane code. When you have your home inspected to prove that it was built to hurricane code and the proper paper work is sent to the insurance company then your rate will change and you will be refunded the difference. Then next year your rate will be based on the fact that your home was built to code. The burden is on us the homeowner to follow through with this to lower the rate.

Mine was inspected on November 1st and I got the paper work from the inspector a couple of days later. The inspector mails the paper work to the insurance company. I got the paper work from my insurance agent. Now I will see how long it takes to get my refund and how much it will be.
Old 11-29-2007, 03:44 PM

I have been to my ins co and there are two seperate programs one is
the wind inspection that is available only for South Florida and another for code info that is availabe in this area. The Daily Sun had an article about the programs this last week
drd
Old 11-29-2007, 04:48 PM

The program for this area is a wind migation and the inspection is to see if the house is constructed to the latest code. This program is for the wind blown debris thru the air and striking the dwelling and doing damage. If the house is constructed to the latest code you may get a rebate. A lot of houses are not built to the latest code because they were built before the latest hurricane fearures were required
drd
Old 12-01-2007, 03:43 PM

I did not see the article in the Sun paper so I am relying on suggestions from the Forum members.

I am in the process of purchasing a new home in TV. I called Marion Sumter insurance and asked about the rebates. The woman said she did not know anything about insurance rebates. I asked her about the inspections and she told me the inspections were not necessary since the new house was build to the new codes. She said that the rate of $938. with a non-hurricane ded. of $500. This is on a $425K house. I would appreciate any information on the rebates, please.

Old 12-01-2007, 04:26 PM
Sage

Shy,

I would say $938 is reasonable on a $425K house....of course, the replacement value of the house is far less than $425...that figure included the lot/lot premium. It also depends on what deductible you have on other losses and the value of your personal property.

For awhile, those who got HO Insurance from ASI via Villages Insurance had the windstorm mitigation factors built in. Travellers may not have built them all in or, in my case, seemed to throw them out on my first year renewal. When I had the inspection done, my premium went down about 15% from year 1, versus the almost 50% increase they were going to tag me for.
Old 12-01-2007, 05:57 PM

$938 for a $425M home sounds very very reasonable.
I would guesstimate my home resale value around $249M. The dwelling coverage on my policy is $183M with $500 hurricane deductible and $500 other perils thru ASI (Sumter-Marion Ins. is the agent). My premium went up in 3/07 from $694 to $908 (a 31% increase). I would take that $938 premium and run.

I just spoke with a friend in Polo Ridge who had the wind inspection and received the copy in the mail. The suggestions were to make upgrades to her home (new roof shingles, longer nails, etc.) to the tune of $10M in order to receive a $94.00/yearly rebate. What's that all about???? I wish I had called her before I completed the application on line; seems like a big waste of my time!!
Old 12-09-2007, 03:13 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Guy
The fellow that did my home inspection told me that the insurance company's are billing people as if their homes are not built to hurricane code. When you have your home inspected to prove that it was built to hurricane code and the proper paper work is sent to the insurance company then your rate will change and you will be refunded the difference. Then next year your rate will be based on the fact that your home was built to code. The burden is on us the homeowner to follow through with this to lower the rate.

Mine was inspected on November 1st and I got the paper work from the inspector a couple of days later. The inspector mails the paper work to the insurance company. I got the paper work from my insurance agent. Now I will see how long it takes to get my refund and how much it will be.
I just got my check from my Insurance Company for $451.56 glad I had my home inspected and the paper work done
Old 02-16-2008, 01:24 AM

I guess the size of the rebate depends on how much they overcharge you

DRD
Old 02-16-2008, 04:01 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdodge
I guess the size of the rebate depends on how much they overcharge you

DRD
It is a matter of what they charged plus what they would have charged if they had personally examined your house. I got a $400 rebate myself.

The free home inspection is not a come one. It is a real deal! And it is still available. Hence the word FREE.

Old 02-16-2008, 08:04 AM
Sage

I had a "Mysafefloridahome" inspection and asked my Insurance Company if I'd be getting a break on my Insurance rates. Following is the reply.

ASI will automatically give the Windstorm Loss Reduction credits at your May renewal. They don’t require the inspection, they automatically are going to give the discount based on the year the home was built . The only thing the inspection would do from there , is if it indicated you have a HIP roof . Then I would need a copy of it.

Karyn Halstead
Home/Auto/Life/Medical
Insurance Agencies of The Villages
Sumter Marion Insurance
3513 Wedgewood Lane
The Villages, Fl 32162
352-751-6560
352-751-5951 Fax
866-556-0456 Toll Free
karyn.halstead@thevillages.com

Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.