Home Prices Coming Down Nicely

Old 03-28-2024, 09:51 AM

The most fascinating thing about these real estate posts is that most people who are retired, live and stay in the same home they purchased are just fine, happy and could care less to all the noise. If you are a flipper, reseller, investor or agent you fight kick and scream to convince buyers or renters that the market is just fine. On with the show...

Old 03-28-2024, 10:09 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Vernon View Post
The most fascinating thing about these real estate posts is that most people who are retired, live and stay in the same home they purchased are just fine, happy and could care less to all the noise. If you are a flipper, reseller, investor or agent you fight kick and scream to convince buyers or renters that the market is just fine. On with the show...
All the investors I know have pulled out. I am a flipper and stated several times I am currently renting. Will do so until the market stabilizes. I believe it is homeowners who are not seeing price reductions. Some do not want to believe their home is not worth as much as they anticipate. They also do not believe available preowned homes are sitting MUCH LONGER. Or currently, some homes are not selling no matter the large price reductions. Many look at the Developer's sales and construe this means good news for them. What the Developer earns is his to keep. It doesn't flow from pocket to pocket. Right now, he has chosen to reduce prices to keep his wheels moving. As some have noted, the finishes in the new homes are lesser quality. The developer is tightening his strings.

Last edited by Randall55; 03-28-2024 at 10:30 AM.

Old 03-28-2024, 10:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,087 Times in 2,748 Posts

Quote:
Reminds me of the theme of the excellent book, Freakonomics. In order to explain and understands one’s behavior, look no further than their incentives.

Old 03-28-2024, 10:31 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Makes you wonder if those were the same neighbors, flippers, resellers, investors.....and oh yes agents, you grew up with in anywhere USA. You know misery loves company

Old 03-28-2024, 10:36 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipping up to Boston View Post
Makes you wonder if those were the same neighbors, flippers, resellers, investors.....and oh yes agents, you grew up with in anywhere USA. You know misery loves company
Again, I believe the opposite. Investing is a business. Most know when to pull out with profit in their pocket. Agents anticipate highs and lows. It is the homeowners who are having a difficult time accepting a change in the market. Investors will simply invest in something else.

Old 03-28-2024, 03:13 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts

Real estate appreciation in The villages has had a good run. There are still many resales over priced. Instead of 50 up to 100% profit reality change to 25-35% of original purchase price over a two to four year timeframe.

Old 03-28-2024, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
Real estate appreciation in The villages has had a good run. There are still many resales over priced. Instead of 50 up to 100% profit reality change to 25-35% of original purchase price over a two to four year timeframe.
Absolutely correct, six percent a year is a good return if updated and maintained over time. The last four years have made owners think their homes are worth what many overpaid just a couple years ago. The smart investors have left so now homes will be restored to the norm or will become short term rentals.

Old 03-28-2024, 06:01 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Absolutely correct, six percent a year is a good return if updated and maintained over time. The last four years have made owners think their homes are worth what many overpaid just a couple years ago. The smart investors have left so now homes will be restored to the norm or will become short term rentals.
I will not be surprised to see plenty of new rentals in Moultrie Creek. The Developer is building an ABUNDANCE of patio villas because they are in high demand. It appears there will be PLENTY of Courtyard Villas, as well. Stadium across the street? Close to 2 new town squares? Championship Golf Course and Country Club? Sounds like a perfect place for STRs. One of many reasons I am staying away.

Last edited by Randall55; 03-28-2024 at 06:29 PM.

Old 03-28-2024, 08:15 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall55 View Post
Again, I believe the opposite. Investing is a business. Most know when to pull out with profit in their pocket. Agents anticipate highs and lows. It is the homeowners who are having a difficult time accepting a change in the market. Investors will simply invest in something else.
Not disagreeing.....but question, isn’t investor a little ambiguous? Couldn’t a flipper be an investor as well?

Old 03-28-2024, 10:08 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipping up to Boston View Post
Not disagreeing.....but question, isn’t investor a little ambiguous? Couldn’t a flipper be an investor as well?
Sure. I was including myself. Like I stated several times, we are currently renting. We invested our profits and they are earning nice interest. With high interest rates, it is easy for investors to get out of a downward/stagnate real estate market and simply place the money into an interest bearing account.

I did not start with the intention to flip homes. I am a contractor. My wife and I bought a home in TV, 18 years ago. We believed this would be our forever home. I did all the labor of finishing our home to our liking. My wife is in real estate. She came home one day excited. "You are never going to believe what so and so got for his home!" Next day, our home was listed for sale.

Made a sizable profit, then bought what we were certain was our forever home, and fixed it to our liking. Wife comes home excited. Again! Sell, move, sell, move. We have been doing this for many years. This is the first time both of us are seeing many red flags in real estate so we are renting. Playing the better-to-be-safe than sorry route.

There are many types of investors in TV. We fell into it. This has happened with many residents. It is too hard to turn down a sizeable offer for your home. Take the money and run! Unfortunately, we think the well has dried up. {But, keeping our fingers crossed we are wrong. We enjoy decorating and fixing up houses)

Last edited by Randall55; 03-29-2024 at 12:54 AM.

Old 03-29-2024, 12:56 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normal View Post
For our housing correction turn-around to happen in less than a year seems highly improbable and unprecedented, but now is the time to embrace the sunny side. The sunny side is the more realistic market will eventually improve our economy. The service sector could see a large boost and populations in the local area could surge because of required workers and housing. This would bolster micro economies and local innovation. A younger demographic is sorely needed here.

The developer seems to embrace this reality in new build offerings with stucco kissing lanais at about 225-35 a square and stick vinyl at about 205. This is a nice drop. Many villas are under 300. You can see all this on Homefinder - The Villages(R) Homes and Villas for Sale thevillages.com new homes section.

Perhaps the COVID shock to our economy has finally thawed.
Home prices will skyrocket when mortgage rates decline to 5-6%

Old 03-29-2024, 04:16 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall55 View Post
Sure. I was including myself. Like I stated several times, we are currently renting. We invested our profits and they are earning nice interest. With high interest rates, it is easy for investors to get out of a downward/stagnate real estate market and simply place the money into an interest bearing account.

I did not start with the intention to flip homes. I am a contractor. My wife and I bought a home in TV, 18 years ago. We believed this would be our forever home. I did all the labor of finishing our home to our liking. My wife is in real estate. She came home one day excited. "You are never going to believe what so and so got for his home!" Next day, our home was listed for sale.

Made a sizable profit, then bought what we were certain was our forever home, and fixed it to our liking. Wife comes home excited. Again! Sell, move, sell, move. We have been doing this for many years. This is the first time both of us are seeing many red flags in real estate so we are renting. Playing the better-to-be-safe than sorry route.

There are many types of investors in TV. We fell into it. This has happened with many residents. It is too hard to turn down a sizeable offer for your home. Take the money and run! Unfortunately, we think the well has dried up. {But, keeping our fingers crossed we are wrong. We enjoy decorating and fixing up houses)
For some, flippers can have a negative connotation. Your story, to me is a positive one....simply because you and your wife’s intentions were to stay in the homes you referenced. The fact that you did the work yourself and were presented with opportunities to reward that ‘sweat equity’, I for one applaud that. More importantly, you showed respect to your past neighbors and neighborhood by leaving those homes better than you found them and as a result probably increased the value and quality of life in those areas in the process. I wish other flippers, with more selfish intentions, followed suit....

Old 03-29-2024, 06:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,277 Times in 4,297 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagerjack View Post
Home prices will skyrocket when mortgage rates decline to 5-6%
When is that happening?

Asking for my kids, who are home shopping...

-Tom Petty

Old 03-29-2024, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
When is that happening?

Asking for my kids, who are home shopping...
According to forecasts I've read, maybe 2025

Old 03-29-2024, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakster66 View Post
According to forecasts I've read, maybe 2025
I agree. I actually think we'll see them below 5 again. But nobody really knows.

Tags
local, side, embrace, sunny, area

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.