Home security

Old 03-22-2024, 09:51 AM
Default Home security

Good morning villagers. We just closed on our new home in Newell and I’m looking for an alarm company with affordable central station monitoring.

I just received an email from ecobee which is our thermostat and they offer security equipment and very affordable monitoring.

I was curious if anyone has taken advantage of the ecobee system and what your thoughts are.

Any advice on other systems will be greatly appreciated as well. Thank you in advance for any information.

Last edited by Mazzo1; 03-22-2024 at 09:52 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 03-22-2024, 09:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,738 Times in 5,252 Posts

I have the SimpliSafe system, but I do not pay for the optional monitoring. Everything is wireless and very easy to install. Also, you can add additional detection devices at any time.
Old 03-22-2024, 12:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,156 Times in 2,250 Posts

IMHO, Sumter County (I think) still offers a home security review. We implemented many of their suggestions. I would just install nanny cams or similar cameras to be able to catch the bad guys afterwards. Many of the "security" cameras can be hacked, and now the bads guys are watching YOU and now know when you are NOT around. I have wired cameras for this reason and these are not connected to the wireless system. I figure the police will probably not be able to get to the house in time to actually catch the bad guys, but I will have video to catch them after the fact.
On a side note, I find the villages to be very safe, but I do not believe in monitored security systems.
Old 03-22-2024, 03:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,426 Times in 2,269 Posts

Check out the Ring (Amazon) system. Monitoring is something like $12 a month or $100 if you pay the whole year in advance. The system is very scalable. You can have all the basic alarm stuff. Add cameras, flood sensors etc. easy to install.

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 03-22-2024, 05:07 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I have the SimpliSafe system, but I do not pay for the optional monitoring. Everything is wireless and very easy to install. Also, you can add additional detection devices at any time.
I also have the Simpli Safe System, which I self installed. Any installation issues are easily addressed by phone with their excellent customer service staff. I also do not monitor, but have 2 screaming sirens that will notify the intruders immediately, and they have no idea if the system is monitored or not. I have front and rear motion detector lights, 2 front and 2 rear “dummy” security cameras with red flashing dot lights, and security signs at entry’s.
Old 03-22-2024, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGVillages View Post
I also do not monitor, but have 2 screaming sirens that will notify the intruders immediately, and they have no idea if the system is monitored or not.
Where do you live, LOL
Old 03-23-2024, 11:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,276 Times in 4,296 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
IMHO, Sumter County (I think) still offers a home security review. We implemented many of their suggestions. I would just install nanny cams or similar cameras to be able to catch the bad guys afterwards. Many of the "security" cameras can be hacked, and now the bads guys are watching YOU and now know when you are NOT around. I have wired cameras for this reason and these are not connected to the wireless system. I figure the police will probably not be able to get to the house in time to actually catch the bad guys, but I will have video to catch them after the fact.
On a side note, I find the villages to be very safe, but I do not believe in monitored security systems.
I accidentally entered my panic code instead of my bypass code on time...

The police were there within a few minutes... I was impressed...

-Tom Petty
Old 03-23-2024, 11:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,276 Times in 4,296 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGVillages View Post
I also have the Simpli Safe System, which I self installed. Any installation issues are easily addressed by phone with their excellent customer service staff. I also do not monitor, but have 2 screaming sirens that will notify the intruders immediately, and they have no idea if the system is monitored or not. I have front and rear motion detector lights, 2 front and 2 rear “dummy” security cameras with red flashing dot lights, and security signs at entry’s.
Same here SimpliSafe. Easy to install, but I chose to have it monitored...

-Tom Petty
Old 03-23-2024, 12:27 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
This is a very informative post. Many do not care that the ‘tables have been turned’ as it relates to monitoring. Sales weasels will tell you what you want to hear but the reality is big brother is watching them...and you. Buyer beware
Old 03-24-2024, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazzo1 View Post
Good morning villagers. We just closed on our new home in Newell and I’m looking for an alarm company with affordable central station monitoring.

I just received an email from ecobee which is our thermostat and they offer security equipment and very affordable monitoring.

I was curious if anyone has taken advantage of the ecobee system and what your thoughts are.

Any advice on other systems will be greatly appreciated as well. Thank you in advance for any information.
There are YouTube Videos that show how to fool alarms into thinking a door or window hasn't been opened. You can buy a $10 device on Amazon that defeats SimpliSafe alarms- point it at the door- open the door and the alarm doesn't trigger.

For this reason ALWAYS put the sign of a different alarm company in your front yard- especially if you have SimpliSafe. Example- if you have ADT in your house but a BRINKS sign in your yard. You can get signs and window stickers from any company on eBay or Amazon
Old 03-24-2024, 08:29 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsloan1960 View Post
There are YouTube Videos that show how to fool alarms into thinking a door or window hasn't been opened. You can buy a $10 device on Amazon that defeats SimpliSafe alarms- point it at the door- open the door and the alarm doesn't trigger.

For this reason ALWAYS put the sign of a different alarm company in your front yard- especially if you have SimpliSafe. Example- if you have ADT in your house but a BRINKS sign in your yard. You can get signs and window stickers from any company on eBay or Amazon
Yip Yap Yip Yap Yip Yap (Thank you, great advice!)
Old 03-24-2024, 06:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Thoroughbred Alarm Systems, Rob Chadwick, Thoroughbred Alarm. Have them for almost 10 years....satisfied.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 03-24-2024, 07:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazzo1 View Post

Call Andre w/ Village Alarms; we’ve had both homes alarmed by him. Great person to work with and the installation was professional.
Old 03-25-2024, 09:12 AM

We have a blink camera system, but it is not really necessary in TV. We just like to know when our packages arrive.

As far as hackers go, I think those stories are clickbait BS. I couldn't care less if someone can view my driveway.
Old 03-25-2024, 12:49 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsloan1960 View Post

This brings up an interesting question: Can we put security signs in our front yards?

Tags
home, monitoring, affordable, ecobee, security

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.