Home Warranty

Old 02-02-2024, 12:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,739 Times in 5,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallyg View Post
Not worth it. Home buyers won't care about it. They know it's frivolous. Spend the money on something that you will enjoy.
In my opinion, real estate agents should stop promoting home warranties as a selling point for a house. They are being dishonest to the buyer and the seller.
Old 02-02-2024, 12:14 PM
Default Home Warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemson23 View Post
Has anyone have or considered the after market home warranty plans to protect things like washer, dryers , dishwashers , and ect….. I’m always getting things in the mail from American Home Shield… pros? Cons?

Thank you
Please do not use American Home Shield, I have just had the worst experience with them, it took them 5 days and multiple phone calls to have them authorize the same Service company they sent before to fix the boiler heater of my home in WA . When they did and the boiler had to be replaced, they only paid $1,600 of a $8,100 bill
Old 02-02-2024, 12:57 PM
Default Broward Factory Service

Quote:
Has anyone have or considered the after market home warranty plans to protect things like washer, dryers , dishwashers , and ect….. I’m always getting things in the mail from American Home Shield… pros? Cons?

Thank you
I used AHS up north a few time on AC and refrigerator and there was always a co-pay plus you never know what service company they were going to send out.

I move here in 2018 and Broward Factory Service was recommended to me and my 12 year old home. I have gotten their gold plan (has replacement in addition to just fix it). They are always advertising free information lunches in the Daily Sun so I would recommend attending.

I had the water heater start leaking and they replaced with a better one - no charge. I have had them out a couple times for ice maker repair on my LG refrigerator - replaced twice with no charge. Coming out today to replace the compressor on the LG - no charge.

Additionally, I have them "tune" my AC once a year at an additional cost figuring that if they are servicing once a year - there won't be any issue when it breaks. I have had to call them to replace something in the outside unit twice - no charge.

I've been very happy with them. Nationwide - not just local. Browardfactory.com
Old 02-02-2024, 03:30 PM

Several houses ago, we got a home warrantee as part of the purchase. At first I liked it. A single place to call for repairs even if not covered 100%. Then each year, it got more expensive and covered less until I decided it was no longer worth it.
Old 02-02-2024, 09:34 PM

Quote:

Thank you
I recently had a power outage at my home in TV, most of my appliances were affected and garage door opener, fortunately I had Select Home Warranty, and with their 24hour call in service, techs were dispatched and all were back in service within a three day period.
Old 02-03-2024, 07:02 AM
Veteran member

Quote:

Thank you
We have Choice home warranty, it is not an end all but do cover part of the cost of repair or replacement. Is it worth the cost? $550 per year in a newer home probably not.
Old 02-03-2024, 07:19 AM

Have used Broward for years. I recommend them.
Old 02-03-2024, 08:29 AM

I have AHS and I mostly got it for the A/C. My plan pays up to $6,000 for the repair or replacement. It also covers roof leaks.
Old 02-03-2024, 08:36 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Dog View Post
I have AHS and I mostly got it for the A/C. My plan pays up to $6,000 for the repair or replacement. It also covers roof leaks.
The problem is that, if the system is old and should be replaced, the warranty company may decide to continue to repair it rather than to replace it. It won't be your decision. Also, if it fails during the summer, you may need to wait up to a week or so for the warranty company to show up. But, there are several HVAC companies in The Villages who can repair it in less than a day.
Old 03-22-2024, 08:17 AM
Default HVAC warranty

We met with the HVAC rep for our new home in Dabney and he wanted us to get the $800 extended warranty for our HVAC system. His reasoning was that next year, government regulations will require a new refrigerant and therefore the old refrigerant that our unit uses will be in short supply due to it being phased out. If we had a leak, the cost of refrigerant would be so expensive that we would end up replacing our unit prematurely.
Old 03-22-2024, 08:38 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kschwi View Post
We met with the HVAC rep for our new home in Dabney and he wanted us to get the $800 extended warranty for our HVAC system. His reasoning was that next year, government regulations will require a new refrigerant and therefore the old refrigerant that our unit uses will be in short supply due to it being phased out. If we had a leak, the cost of refrigerant would be so expensive that we would end up replacing our unit prematurely.
First of all, if you have a new house, don't you have a 5 year labor and 10 year parts warranty? I would never pay for an extended warranty on anything, but especially while the system is still under warranty.

Also, when a new refrigerant is required, you can still get the old refrigerant because it is recycled whenever a system is replaced. In fact, HVAC companies are required by Federal law to recycle any refrigerant that they remove from an existing system. They are not allowed to dispose of it. So, there will be plenty of the old refrigerant available for many years.

By the way, I have never known someone who replaced their HVAC system prematurely because of the cost of refrigerant.

Last edited by retiredguy123; 03-22-2024 at 08:44 AM.
Old 03-22-2024, 09:42 AM
TOTV SPONSOR

Quote:

Thank you
Hi there, Casandra with Pike's Electric here. There may be extended warranties available but as a licensed electrical company we recommend that you have a whole home surge protector (like the Eaton Ultra) installed to protect your home's major appliances from surge damage. It is an effective way to keep all of your home's valuables protected. Call us if you have any questions! (352)748-6251

(352)748-6251
Old 03-23-2024, 12:27 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,340 Times in 1,448 Posts

I had AHS in Ohio as did my son on his home. Over a 7 year period I had multiple furnace repairs, a built in microwave replaced, fridge ice maker repaired, AC air compressor replaced, and probably a few other items that I can't remember, at that time we were paying between $400 and $500 per year and it was well worth it. My son had a upgrade policy because of the type of appliances he had and his fridge went out so he got the max allowable on that which was $1,500.00, he also had several repairs while he lived there. The difference down here is that most of us have only one AC unit whereas up north we had 2 of just about everything so if one broke down and we had to wait a couple days it was not a big deal. Our home was new here so at this point I haven't considered getting another policy. I would not get a car warranty, I like to get a new one as soon as the bumper to bumper is over and let someone else worry about getting things fixed.
Old 03-23-2024, 01:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,380 Times in 2,520 Posts

I have always found that household appliances usually have a one-year manufacturer's warranty, if it gets through the first year without fault, usually things die of old age.
No to buying a warranty

Tags
home, things, warranty, pros, shield…

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.