Homeowners ins.

Closed Thread
Old 04-25-2022, 01:15 PM
Default Home Owners Insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by ureout View Post
WOW.... I've had Amer. Integrity for my HO's Ins. for several years.. in 2020 the yearly premium was $675 .. in 2021 it went up to $1050 just received my 2022 premium now up to $1750 .. I have a 20 yr old Amarillo with a 4yr old roof .. time to shop around again
I am in about the same boat as you. I shopped around . I am a showbird so some companies do not want me(Framers). My best rate was from The Villages Insurance(Florida Family) at $500 less then AI . Allstate had a good rate if you added auto insurance but my autos are insured in Pennsylvania which has much lower auto insurance. Most other apple to apple comparisons came in near the AI rate. Good luck.
Old 04-25-2022, 01:59 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
Perhaps a substantial portion of the increases are due to rising house values. Are most of these policies "replacement cost" ?
Yes policy is for the replacement cost but the policy does have a limit You need to make sure that your house is insured for the amount that it would cost to replace the home. At todays construction cost that amount will probably be more than 20% above replacement cost in 2020. Rising house values are a different matter and considers the land value. Land value is not a factor in determining the replacement cost of the home.

Caveat. I was in the insurance business.
Old 04-25-2022, 05:04 PM

Yes, free roofs and the rest of us pay for it. My bitch is that those of us with metal roofs are paying for your shingle roofs. My agent snapped at me -- I have a 50 year roof, he says replace it at 20 years old and we'll drop your premium by $500. What a racket.
Insurance companies need to make the shingle roof policy holders pay for this, not the rest of us.
Old 04-25-2022, 05:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,088 Times in 2,749 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzay View Post
Are insurance went up also..checked into Kin,then another quote with Farmers ,went with Farmers ,it was five hundred dollars cheaper with more additional coverage. Had a wind mitigation done which brought it down substantially.
We shopped around a couple years ago and switched to Farmers also. Stay tuned for the bait and switch, after a couple years the premiums will be jacked right back up to the levels that caused you to switch carriers.
Old 04-25-2022, 07:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

shop around. I bundled the auto and house with Triple A and found them to be apples to apples the better deal

good luck
Old 04-26-2022, 05:26 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 761 Posts

Villages insurance cut my premium one third with another carrier. Very satisfied. Tell them on renewal to shop for you. Apparently they have many doing this
Old 04-26-2022, 05:37 AM
Default Blame Florida Politicians

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnevie View Post
the increases are due to all the houses getting "free roofs" due to all the "storm damage" they have. the damage is questionable because the insurance company gives in because it's costs them more to fight it. it's fraud. I lived 3 miles from the Gulf of Mexico and we had real storms and I never saw this happening. unfortunately, those of us who choose not to do this are facing cancellations due to the age of our roofs or exorbitant raises in premiums. it's particularly galling because these people getting "free roofs" can very well afford to replace their roofs but somehow think because they've paid premiums all these years they are entitled to it.
This has been an ongoing problem that should have been FIXED by the Florida politicians.
Old 04-26-2022, 05:43 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,778 Times in 3,645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabella View Post
should have been FIXED by the Florida politicians.
Old 04-26-2022, 07:58 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepsake View Post
Yes, free roofs and the rest of us pay for it. My bitch is that those of us with metal roofs are paying for your shingle roofs. My agent snapped at me -- I have a 50 year roof, he says replace it at 20 years old and we'll drop your premium by $500. What a racket.
Insurance companies need to make the shingle roof policy holders pay for this, not the rest of us.
Understand your frustration. I was in the insurance business and basic concept of insurance is a sharing of the risk. There are too many variables between houses In Florida and everywhere else especially quality of construction and materials. IF you ever have a claim on your metal roof, it will cost 2x(on average) more than an asphalt shingle roof. This is less likely to occur but can happen(such as a fire). In South Florida many homeowners who have a well constructed home have opted to self insure their home for hurricanes due to high premiums and high deductibles(some policies have a 10% wind deductible).
Old 04-26-2022, 08:15 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabella View Post
This has been an ongoing problem that should have been FIXED by the Florida politicians.
Odds of getting this fixed are less than winning the lottery.
Old 04-26-2022, 08:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,021 Times in 1,747 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlebuis View Post
We, too, had our roof replaced last year. As it was 14 years old we didn’t even approach our insurance company as we knew it was wear and tear and not a storm doing the damage. Several of our neighbors had their roofs replaced and most of them were completely paid for by insurance. I don’t understand how one can get full replacement cost on a 14 year old house. I worked at insurance agency in IL and things like that were usually prorated. Luckily our insurance rates have held steady but I can see why the rates are going up with the payouts insurance companies are making.
Well…the homeowners pays extra premiums (for years) for replacement cost of a similar roof (including inflation) year after year, and it is the insurance companies that say, “Your roof is almost 15 years old, and it is too old for us to insure it.” So who is driving the roof replacements? The insurance companies. And it sure is not “free” as the homeowner has been paying the premiums for it, all those years. If anything, I have sympathy for the $1000 deductible most people must pay to replace a roof that they would probably not have replaced IF the insurance company did not threaten to not insure it, in the first place.

Now to have the face to say, that you are getting a free roof - after one paid the premiums for it, by the way, have you noticed it is the insurance companies who sets the rates not the homeowner? And then to try to justify the new rate increases on the FREE roofs that they demanded you to get in the first place - just gulls me.

Last edited by Velvet; 04-26-2022 at 09:01 AM.
Old 04-26-2022, 08:51 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,203 Times in 569 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrref View Post
That's becasue their coverage includes catastrophic sinkhole damage which is probably what you are going to get. You would have to pay for any other small sink hole damage.
Catastrophic ground collapse coverage is required in all policies issued in Florida. Does not kick in until your house is declared uninhabitable.
Old 04-26-2022, 09:02 AM
Default Prices up everywhere

We live in Broward county and are considering moving up early next year. Down here most homeowners are paying around $5-6K a year (some more) due to hurricane coverage. It goes up substantially every year. I have a new(er) Manufactured home and pay $4K.
With all the destruction from fires in the news, we will all be paying more eventually...
Old 04-26-2022, 09:11 AM
Gold member

Check out Farmers Insurance in Oxford. Very good rates. I dumped American Integrity too.
Old 06-08-2022, 07:15 AM
Default Kin

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethshifrin View Post
All insurance companies should be checked for their financial stability and integrity. I had Allstate for all of my policies in NY and the homeowner's policy was a subsidiary of Allstate that I found out was in precarious financial shape. My Alllstate agent never advised me of this. Gave them the boot. Now I have State Farm and it is one of most financially secure companies.
I believe Kin has only been in business 2 years and has no track record regarding financial stability, etc.
Closed Thread

Tags
ins, premium, amarillo, roof, received

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.