HomoSexual Males in The Villages??

Closed Thread
Old 07-30-2010, 07:47 PM
Question HomoSexual Males in The Villages??

Hello.

Got a bit of a question.

How are homosexual couples received in The Villages?? Would people resent living next to one??? Would it catch a lot of attention?? You know....stares and ogles and whispers....would the good old fashioned folks not want to shake hands

To give you some background, my partner, a physician and golf nut, is reaching retirement age and we would like to relocate to Florida from the mid-west. However, after visiting the gay retirement havens of Ft. Lauderdale/South Beach/Miami Beach a couple times, we decided the culture there wasn't for us (very youth centric and superficial among other things).

We are discrete and conduct our lives conservatively (not Tuba players, so to speak) and don't necessarily seek out diversity--

--but would living in the Villages be pushing the envelope too far???

Any thoughts on how the straights (or breeders ) here feel about the issue??

PS.......be as honest or cruel as you want to be, because I would like to gauge the true sentiment of the community.
Old 07-31-2010, 05:05 PM
Gold member

Salvador,

I am still in TV wannabe category, but from my visits to TV, I suspect it is much the same as any average city of the same size. I would doubt, given the average age of residents, that anyone would openly object. I would hope that most of our generation has out grown that type of behavior. I also believe that the lack of responses to your question shows that most do not want to be labeled suspect. I would not object to anyone living in TV as long as they follow the community rules and treat their neighbors with respect.

And no....I'm not.... in case anyone is wondering.
Old 07-31-2010, 05:11 PM
Gold member

A good way to answer your questions would be to do a Lifestyle Preview visit or rent a home. You would get first hand experience. My guess/hope is that it wouldn't be a big deal to most.
Old 07-31-2010, 05:17 PM

the villages rainbow club web site should help answer your questions

http://rainbowfamilyvillagesfl.com/site/
Old 07-31-2010, 05:19 PM
Veteran member

Not yet a resident, hope to be in 2013. I am a single heterosexual female, just to give you a point of reference. I would love to have a gay couple as my neighbor! I think a gay couple (male or female) will be more welcoming of a single female than a heterosexual couple will be.

I should probably also point out that I've had lots of exposure to gay men and am probably more accepting than most. In "the day" (beginning in the early 70's), I began going to gay (mostly men) bars a few nights a week, where I would dance the night away. Some of my best friends were gay.
Hope we end up neighbors!
Old 07-31-2010, 05:26 PM
Sage

Personally, I wouldn't have any problem with you and your partner living in The Villages or next door to me, Salvador.

Bob suggested a lifestyle preview, I think that's a great idea. You and your partner have to determine for yourselves if you even like the community and the area. There's so much to like, really, and there is such a diverse group of people, about 80,000, living here.
Old 07-31-2010, 05:42 PM
Veteran member

We have good friends that live in Calumet and their neighbors are gay. Nice guys. They are invited to all the neighborhood activities and such. As long as you are nice guys I don't think you will have any problems. The operative phrase being nice guys, nice people. We really are very tolerant. The only people I stay away from are grouches, and mean people.
Old 07-31-2010, 06:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

You sound like such a nice guy, Salvador. I welcome you and hope you find this lovely place to be just what you are looking for.

I agree that you should come here for a lifestyle visit, so that you can see for yourself.

Hope you love it here.
Old 07-31-2010, 06:38 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

I'm sure it is an issue to some that reside in TV, but not to most. I have a variety of friends/acquaintances. Some gay, some lesbian, a couple in their 30s, several in their 80s. The ones that have the hardest time adjusting and being accepted are those in their 30s. The rest seem to have no problems finding their niches.

As was suggested, take the lifestyles preview or rent a home for a month. You'll be able to judge for yourself. Hopefully, you'll feel as welcome here as I believe you will.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 07-31-2010, 06:39 PM
Sage

Ditto what Gracie said
Old 07-31-2010, 07:17 PM
Eternal Member
Send a message via AIM to barb1191

Me too, Russ...ditto. Gracie put it nicely; right on target, and I feel there is no class distinction nor any racial tensions here in Paradise. Good advice to "try it; you'll like it." The place sells itself as you will see.

barb

Most people walk in and out of your life, but FRIENDS leave footprints in your heart.

"Being kind is more important than being right." By Andy Rooney
Old 07-31-2010, 07:54 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

Come on down. You can be my neighbor anytime. I would think most of the people in TV would be past those arcane ideas. At least a higher % then most places.
Old 07-31-2010, 08:09 PM

I would have no problem with you guys living in my neighborhood. Live and let live. I love golf too and would welcome your partner in my group. Good Luck! A lot of conservatives live here but you will find that out soon enough. If you haven't visited here, you are in for a treat. Great place. Just moved in on Monday.
Old 07-31-2010, 09:05 PM

Wow.

Thanks for all the great responses, and for Villager99 for providing the web-site.

I really didn't know what to expect. I don't usually make such an issue out of sexual orientation, but I did kinda want to get a sense of what it might be like in such a tight knit community, and this forum was a way to to it anonymously.

And I suppose a visit is in order. Need to start making plans.

Will keep you posted.
Old 07-31-2010, 09:53 PM
Gold member
Default Neighbors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvador View Post
Hello.

Got a bit of a question.

How are homosexual couples received in The Villages?? Would people resent living next to one??? Would it catch a lot of attention?? You know....stares and ogles and whispers....would the good old fashioned folks not want to shake hands

To give you some background, my partner, a physician and golf nut, is reaching retirement age and we would like to relocate to Florida from the mid-west. However, after visiting the gay retirement havens of Ft. Lauderdale/South Beach/Miami Beach a couple times, we decided the culture there wasn't for us (very youth centric and superficial among other things).

We are discrete and conduct our lives conservatively (not Tuba players, so to speak) and don't necessarily seek out diversity--

--but would living in the Villages be pushing the envelope too far???

Any thoughts on how the straights (or breeders ) here feel about the issue??

PS.......be as honest or cruel as you want to be, because I would like to gauge the true sentiment of the community.
How is anyone received at the Villages? Are you friendly? A good neighbor? Keep your lawn lookiing good? Who is anyone to judge anyone? Have a visit and see if the Lifestyle works for YOU!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.