HomoSexual Males in The Villages??

Closed Thread
Old 08-01-2010, 04:20 AM
Banned

My recommendation would be to keep a low profile until you find your niche and way around this Paradise. If you can blend into the conservative fabric of The Villages, it is a wonderful place to live. We have traveled the world and this is the right place for us. Like anywhere, it would not be helpful to bring up your political or religious beliefs. Stay clear of major issue like pro-life/choice or Stem cell research or any left wing/right wing sensitive issues. The Villages is no different than any other place when it comes to folks acting out when addressing their personal opinions with passion. I am a Conservative Democrat (the minority here) and love this place. If I were gay, or if I fit into any less mainstream category or group, I would not hesitate to live in The Villages. I personally have voiced my opinion about several sensitive issues and have been beat verbally for it; however, I very much love this place and the people in it. I have been challenged for my beliefs, but have not received any threats. We have 80 plus thousand retired folks here with too much time on their hands. So, in a nut shell, you will love it here just as we do.

Last edited by Lou Card; 08-01-2010 at 05:20 AM.
Old 08-01-2010, 06:35 AM
Taltarzac
Default May depend on group dynamic of the neighborhood in which you move.

This seems to relate to what the people in the neighborhood you would move to are like. Some of the neighborhoods seem to be very friendly while others migh not be so. This applies to straights, gays, lesbians, or whatever.

Evidence of this is that there have been various tales of both very good neighbors as well as bad neighbors here on TOTV.

To counter this, you may have to do some shopping around to see what the neighborhoods are actually like.

It seems issues about noise, pets, and politics or religion cause a lot more friction though than being straight or gay.

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 08-01-2010 at 09:31 AM.
Old 08-01-2010, 07:21 AM
Default Agree mostly with all comments

Yes, you & your partner would likely be openly welcomed in any of the neighborhoods, not sure why an earlier poster implied there might be some villages not as accepting of you as others.
Our sexual preferences are a private/personal part of our lives and should be practiced (I know I need lots of practice) DISCRETELY with the partner/partners we choose. This is generally the behavioral norm anyplace I've ever lived, including now in TV; would be shocked (and flabbergasted ) at open displays of sexuality (straight or gay) from my neighbors.
So...

PS. Not sure dropping the term "breeder" is a great way to make new friends; sounds like we're the creepy aliens in a Sci-fi movie.

Question with boldness
Hold to the truth
Speak without fear

"Too soon old...too late smart"
Old 08-01-2010, 07:31 AM
Taltarzac
Default It would seem to depend on personalities of neighbors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayesun View Post
Yes, you & your partner would likely be openly welcomed in any of the neighborhoods, not sure why an earlier poster implied there might be some villages not as accepting of you as others.
Our sexual preferences are a private/personal part of our lives and should be practiced (I know I need lots of practice) DISCRETELY with the partner/partners we choose. This is generally the behavioral norm anyplace I've ever lived, including now in TV; would be shocked (and flabbergasted ) at open displays of sexuality (straight or gay) from my neighbors.
So...

PS. Not sure dropping the term "breeder" is a great way to make new friends; sounds like we're the creepy aliens in a Sci-fi movie.
My point was that personalities of neighbors can play a big part in certain locales. There have been a lot of stories on TOTV about neighbors getting in beefs over pets leaving marks on lawns, noise from parties, and the like. Sexual orientation could be a problem with some neighborhood bully; though it might just be an excuse.

I would not think being gay or straight would be any kind of problem with most neighborhoods in the Villages.

It just depends on how the neighbors get along with one another or don't.

I had one acquaintance who felt he had to move out of the Villages because one of his neighbors had a lot of problems with how long he kept his Christmas lights on as well as how many they had around the outside of their house. Believe his various garden gnomes also kind of ****ed off some of his neighbors. He also danced to the beat of his own drum which can be problem in some neighborhoods where conformity can be an issue.

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 08-01-2010 at 07:59 AM.
Old 08-01-2010, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac View Post
My point was that personalities of neighbors can play a big part in certain locales. There have been a lot of stories on TOTV about neighbors getting in beefs over pets leaving marks on lawns, noise from parties, and the like. Sexual orientation could be a problem with some neighborhood bully; it might just be an excuse.

I would not think being gay or straight would be any kind of problem with most neighborhoods in the Villages.

It just depends on how the neighbors get along with one another or don't.

I had one acquaintance who felt he had to move out of the Villages because one of his neighbors had a lot of problems with how long he kept his Christmas lights on as well as how many they had around the outside of their house. Believe his various knomes also kind of ****ed off some of his neighbors.
Got you, good points...guess we all takes our chances when we move to a new & quite "foreign" locale...hoping our lifestyles & foibles won't offend our good neighbors or the few knuckleheads out there.

Question with boldness
Hold to the truth
Speak without fear

"Too soon old...too late smart"
Old 08-01-2010, 08:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Ah yes gnomes. I know a couple who moved into their new home a couple of years ago and were disappointed to see that their next door neighbors had a LOT of garden ornaments....(upwards of 30) But the unseen powers that be caused them (the gnomes and duckies and such) to go away.

That is so different than a persons personal life and choices in the partner department. Some of my friends in TV have been married many times and some are not married couples and some like us G's were fortunate to find the right one the first time. I agree with the poster that said if you keep your property nice and can cobble together a decent potato salad for the block party, there is no reason that you won't love it here and everyone will love you!!

Happiness is contagious here.

Last edited by graciegirl; 08-01-2010 at 08:12 AM.
Old 08-01-2010, 08:45 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Are there bigots here? Of course there are! It's too large of a community for them to be left out. Most, however, have the sense to keep their views to themselves. Those that don't are quickly ostercized by neighbors and the community.

While many of the truly elderly (late 80s/90s) were raised to believe that being gay was a mortal sin, many have learned that those "gay folks" are wonderful people. We can thank their grandchildren and great-grandchildren for that. It's pretty hard to actively dislike and be afraid of your kids, grandkids and great-grands or their friends, all of whom have come to visit you and were openly gay. And if not your relatives, your best friend's or your favorite neighbor's. Today's openness has made it much easier to be accepting of gays, people of different color, divorcees, inter-racial marriages and many things considered taboo in the past.

As has been said, it is more important to be a good neighbor than to be straight, married and conservative. Heck, even this liberal, divorced old broad with a relatively big mouth is accepted and even loved. Have no fear, barring a very few, your sexual orientation will not be an issue. Your lawn maintenance, noisy dog, proclivity to play rock music or even opera at 2:00 am with the bass booming will be. And if you can't cook, learn. Be able to make one good potluck dish and you'll be adored.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 08-01-2010, 08:47 AM
Default Diversity in TV

Salvador,

My husband and I would welcome you as neighbors.

We are more liberal than many in TV, and we have a lesbian daughter, so we are probably more accepting than some.

Last summer, my daughter (age 22) and her partner came down to visit us in TV. They were walking hand in hand in Lake Sumter Landing one evening after 9 PM, when a man in a golf cart drove by them, then turned around and drove by again, stared, and then drove on. They were startled by this because they live in a very liberal community. I talked to a TV resident who is lesbian, and she said she would never hold hands with her partner in TV. I find that sad, because I like to hold hands with my husband when we are walking. Change comes slowly. Maybe some day...

I don't get into discussions of my political views here in the Midwest with people who are more conservative, and I don't plan to in TV either. I have friends and family at both ends of the political spectrum.

Once we get to TV permanently, my feeling is, if someone doesn't like what our family looks like (and they make it known), then we can still be cordial neighbors but they probably just won't be close friends.

I agree with what some others have said above. It seems like most people are just looking for neighbors who keep their house and yard up, keep their pets under control, and don't have excessive noise.

We will be retiring and moving down permanently at the end of this year. There are many wonderful people in TV. We are counting the minutes!

walkr
Old 08-01-2010, 09:57 AM
Taltarzac
Default That's true that gnomes are different from sexual orientation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Ah yes gnomes. I know a couple who moved into their new home a couple of years ago and were disappointed to see that their next door neighbors had a LOT of garden ornaments....(upwards of 30) But the unseen powers that be caused them (the gnomes and duckies and such) to go away.

That is so different than a persons personal life and choices in the partner department. Some of my friends in TV have been married many times and some are not married couples and some like us G's were fortunate to find the right one the first time. I agree with the poster that said if you keep your property nice and can cobble together a decent potato salad for the block party, there is no reason that you won't love it here and everyone will love you!!

Happiness is contagious here.
If this was in Polo Ridge, we may be thinking of the same couple with the many garden gnomes.

But some people kind of get upset with people who have different tastes, politics, or something other than they do.

My brother is married to a rather dark skinned Jamaican lady who also sometimes speaks with a strong accent. He is white.
They have received a lot of stares and/or other kinds of bad behavior from people of both races. It did happen in the Villages too but not as much as some of the other places they have been.

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 08-01-2010 at 10:11 AM.
Old 08-01-2010, 11:27 AM

I am really glad to stumble on to this thread. My husband and I are moving down 10/1. We did a lifestyle preview. Our confusion comes into which village hosts which type of personality. We really want to live close to Salvador! Or at least in a fun, accepting neighborhood that does allow for political discussions and doesn't foster a "don't ask, don't tell" philosophy. We'll be renting for a few months until we find a place we want to settle down into. But how do we find that place? We're coming with our dog, would like a village that enjoys dog parties. We like neighbors that feel they can stop by to say hi without calling 1st. We like impromptu happy hours. We like music. We also recognize that strong fences make strong friendships and so are looking for a CYV. Any thoughts on how we find the right village for us? See you all soon! Carol and Dan.
Old 08-01-2010, 01:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Carol and Dan.

The warm and loving village that is accepting and fun is my village.

Taltarzac lives in the same kind of village.

Redwitch does.

PTurner does.

Donna does.

Kathie does.

Melz does.

Coconuts does.

Caroline does.

UUJudy does.

BogieShooter does.

Golfnut does.

and on and on and on.

Everyone does.

When you come here you will see.

If you move here you will see.

There is a little bit of bad in the best of us and a little bit of good in the worst of us.

but this place is as close to perfect as it comes.

Last edited by graciegirl; 08-01-2010 at 01:16 PM.
Old 08-01-2010, 02:24 PM
Veteran member
Default I am trying

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleujay1 View Post
I would have no problem with you guys living in my neighborhood. Live and let live. I love golf too and would welcome your partner in my group. Good Luck! A lot of conservatives live here but you will find that out soon enough. If you haven't visited here, you are in for a treat. Great place. Just moved in on Monday.
I am not sure why you mention that a lot of conservatives live in TV.

Conservatives have no problems with Gays. WE feel what they do is their business. I am a heterosexual and keep my sex life private between my wife and myself. I think most people feel that way; including Gays.
Old 08-01-2010, 02:50 PM
Gold member

OMG, we are so old that we take everything very serious. I assure you that if you don't suck face in the "town square" nobody will notice you. If they do notice you, they will forget you the first 6 or 7 times.

If you are your sexual orientation, that may disturb some. Just like if you were a hetero and behaved like a slut in public.

I think that I can speak for many of the "Conservative villains." We really don't care. We kind of like the old "Don't ask, don't tell" rule and I see no reason why you would want to tell me. Unless of course you were to hit on me. TV is not a gay community so behave as you would in any non-gay community. Nothing new here. Many people here feel very fortunate to have any sexual orientation at all.

So, if you like the place, it may like you. Don't wear a dress with a beard and you will not be noticed.

I am going to be in the poops for this one............I can tell.

Yoda

Last edited by Yoda; 08-01-2010 at 02:53 PM.
Old 08-01-2010, 03:20 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
Many people here feel very fortunate to have any sexual orientation at all
Old 08-01-2010, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Carol and Dan.

The warm and loving village that is accepting and fun is my village.

Taltarzac lives in the same kind of village.

Redwitch does.

PTurner does.

Donna does.

Kathie does.

Melz does.

Coconuts does.

Caroline does.

UUJudy does.

BogieShooter does.

Golfnut does.

and on and on and on.

Everyone does.

When you come here you will see.

If you move here you will see.

There is a little bit of bad in the best of us and a little bit of good in the worst of us.

but this place is as close to perfect as it comes.
Can't wait to meet everyone in person! Gracie, will you take us on a tour if you have some time? I'll provide lunch! Carol and Dan
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.