Hope "fore" the Warriors Golf Classic

Closed Thread
Old 11-13-2010, 07:56 PM
Veteran member
Default Hope "fore" the Warriors Golf Classic

Played in the Warriors Tournament today at Palmer Legends. It was the most extraordinary experience I've had in the Villages and we've had many. All 27 holes were occupied at the shotgun start. Each foursome was made up of 4 Villages golfers and a young wounded vet. Our vet was the victim of an IED in Afghanistan that exploded on his right side. It did serious damage to both hands, his leg, his torso and his face. Hundreds of pieces of medical hardware were used to bring him back to where he is today. He was an 8 year Air Force vet serving in an AP unit. He proudly showed us pictures of his precious daughter. He was one of the most upbeat individuals I have ever met. He shot a pretty good game of golf in spite of the loss of grip he has endured. Before his injury, he had a single digit handicap and he's almost back.

Approximately 30 of his fellow wounded warriors were nothing short of inspirational with their demonstrable, conspicuous and abundant zest for life, love of country, and complete absence of self pity. They sang the loudest, laughed the hardest and gave up not a wince at their circumstance.

Nothing since we came to the Villages has moved me to hold back tears until today while talking to one of these young heroes. I confess I leaked a little. Compared to what these young warriors have endured, the cares, woes and throes of aging seem like ships that pass in the night. It puts the meaning and joy of life into a new perspective. The essence of patriotism was everywhere.

So many donors and contributors made this event extra special. I know Palmer Legends did a lot. Someone donated a new golf cart that was raffled off. Callaway gave one of their new drivers to each of the young vets. There were so many benefactors I wish I could remember them all. I was also proud of the Villagers who turned out to support this worthy cause. I know it was an early sell out and that many who wanted to couldn't get a slot. If someone knows who I may have missed, please add them to the list.

If you can make this Classic next year.....go for it.

Last edited by cabo35; 11-14-2010 at 08:23 AM.
Old 11-13-2010, 08:13 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabo35 View Post
Played in the Warriors Tournament today at Palmer Legends. It was the most extraordinary experience I've had in the Villages and we've had many. All 27 holes were occupied at the shotgun start. Each foursome was made up of 4 Villages golfers and a young wounded vet. Our vet was the victim of an IAD in Afghanistan that exploded on his right side. It did serious damage to both hands, his leg, his torso and his face. Hundreds of pieces of medical hardware were used to bring him back to where he is today. He was an 8 year Air Force vet serving in an AP unit. He proudly showed us pictures of his precious daughter. He was one of the most upbeat individuals I have ever met. He shot a pretty good game of golf in spite of the loss of grip he has endured. Before his injury, he had a single digit handicap and he's almost back.

Approximately 30 of his fellow wounded warriors were nothing short of inspirational with their demonstrable, conspicuous and abundant zest for life, love of country, and complete absence of self pity. They sang the loudest, laughed the hardest and gave up not a wince at their circumstance.

Nothing since we came to the Villages has moved me to hold back tears until today while talking to one of these young heroes. I confess I leaked a little. Compared to what these young warriors have endured, the cares, woes and throes of aging seem like ships that pass in the night. It puts the meaning and joy of life into a new perspective. The essence of patriotism was everywhere.

So many donors and contributors made this event extra special. I know Palmer Legends did a lot. Someone donated a new golf cart that was raffled off. Callaway gave one of their new drivers to each of the young vets. There were so many benefactors I wish I could remember them all. I was also proud of the Villagers who turned out to support this worthy cause. I know it was an early sell out and that many who wanted to couldn't get a slot. If someone knows who I may have missed, please add them to the list.

That gives me a lump in my throat. Thanks, Cabo.
Old 11-13-2010, 08:24 PM
nkrifats

That is so great to read.
Old 11-13-2010, 08:47 PM
Eternal Member

Thanks Cabo for a great read about a super event.

Do not follow where the path may lead.
Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
Old 11-14-2010, 07:49 AM
Dancing Thyme

Thanks Cabo. It makes you so proud of our young hero's and I feel that I want to do so much for them. You did bring tears to my eyes, I'll admit it.

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

(For those who know me) I consider ON TIME to be when I get there.....
Old 11-14-2010, 08:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabo35 View Post
Played in the Warriors Tournament today at Palmer Legends. It was the most extraordinary experience I've had in the Villages and we've had many. All 27 holes were occupied at the shotgun start. Each foursome was made up of 4 Villages golfers and a young wounded vet. Our vet was the victim of an IED in Afghanistan that exploded on his right side. It did serious damage to both hands, his leg, his torso and his face. Hundreds of pieces of medical hardware were used to bring him back to where he is today. He was an 8 year Air Force vet serving in an AP unit. He proudly showed us pictures of his precious daughter. He was one of the most upbeat individuals I have ever met. He shot a pretty good game of golf in spite of the loss of grip he has endured. Before his injury, he had a single digit handicap and he's almost back.

Thank you Cabo. Your wonderful description made this real and inspiring. I hadn't heard of it and now I will know just how great it is. Good for you and for all of the folks who put it together and particularly the young veterans who protected all of us.
Old 11-14-2010, 03:28 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thumbs up God Bless America

Thank you Cabo for your wonderful description of a brave young man. This has been an extraordinary weekend. First we watched President Bush give a lovely speech at LSL, then Palmer had the Warriors golf tournament and today we participated in the golf cart parade for the benefit of the warriors. Lots of flags and wonderful camaradarie. Only in the Villages.
Old 11-15-2010, 08:08 PM
Smile Hope For Warriors Golf

Cabot , I also had the opportunity to play in the Warriors Golf Tournament on Saturday. My day started out with a cruise through town square at 7:30am. What a sight to see so many people start to gather ti listen to President Bush. When I got to Palmers and met my group and our Wounded Warrior , Jon Lujan from Littleton Co., you could not help but be proud of the young men and women protecting our freedom ! Jon informed us that President Bush played 9 holes of golf around 6:30 that morning , and then met personally with all of the Wounded warriors at the golf academy facility . Bush told all of them , I do not miss being President, I miss being your Commander and Chief ! What a great day, our warrior also played great, and made 3 birdie puts to help our "team" place runner up in our flight.
Jon also told us he was here last year and had to come back to see if The Villages was really as great as he remembered, even better this time !!!! Kudos to all of our residents on Palmers for displaying the American Flag and many banners making our men feel very welcome! Looking forward to next year "
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.