Horrible drivers

Closed Thread
Old 02-09-2020, 10:35 AM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by parchiba49 View Post
"LIVE IN THE VILLAGES" - how do you know they all "live" here? Could be from anywhere, passing through? Anycase, breathe, it doesn't get better, so take the advice above pay attention and be careful.
My thoughts exactly! The folks at the mail stations are probably Villagers - but - the rest of the folks on the roads - LOL! I hate driving the speed limit in my correct lane and having some late-for-work employee honking at me to go faster because they can't get into the backed up passing lane! And I know they are employees because they are young and wearing their uniform shirt - they aren't the bag boys at the grocery stores! It's so convenient to blame the old folks! HAHAHAHA

Old 02-09-2020, 10:46 AM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Out&Proud View Post
I've been here 18 years and know that you have to drive defensively in The Villages. It is apparent that with age some seniors think they can drive any way they want. I first observed this in my 82-year-old father when he would pull up in front of the grocery store and just leave his car there and go in to do his shopping! In addition, I have personally seen people die behind the wheel while driving a car and a golf cart in TV. Beware, keep your eyes open and be prepared for anything!
Do you not drive defensively anywhere except in the Villages? lol I have been driving defensively since I got my license over 50 years ago! And you think that only "with age some seniors think they can drive any way they want"? lol You need to get out and around and compete with the young'uns who think seniors don't know anything and don't deserve to be on the same roads with them!

Old 02-09-2020, 11:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
Bogie, there are a lot of draws, for example, at Lake Sumter Landing, offices, banks, transport etc. I was thinking spread out the destinations so that there might be fewer people driving to them. Just a thought... it might not be practical.
That's an understatement.
Old 02-09-2020, 01:02 PM
Red face Defensive Driving

At roundabouts when in left hand lane, wait for car next to you to go first so as not to be cut off when they make the third left -- or -- speed up so they're not next to you. I consider this Paradise having moved from NY. The Bubble events are a mere 15-45 minute drive. And those who complain about snowbird traffic should realize almost all of us are retired and don't need to be in a rush. For me, I need an extra 15 minutes to get where I'm going and I live w/gratitude for the 88% positives.
Old 02-20-2020, 10:18 PM

Here in T.V. 18 months, and I would say driving is something of an adventure. Lots of people curse the snowbirds or visitors who are either oblivious or ignoring the roundabout rules.

Don't use your turn signal in a roundabout. Do not be in the right lane entering the roundabout if you intend to exit left, and do not be in the left lane if you intend to exit right. Do not enter the roundabout thinking you can beat the guy already in the roundabout to the next bend, especially if you are not good at judging speed, as most here are not.

Mainly, don't drift into the other lane in a roundabout and think its the other guys fault, somehow.

I really caution all my visitors coming here that it's not just the rules of the roundabouts, but it is also the golf carts and cyclists, the golf cart lane is narrow and the carts seem to often drift into the car lane when you go by them. It was bad enough in a city that people were on their cell phones on a commute, but why when a drive in The Villages is going to be likely less than 10 minutes, does someone have to be on their phone and then drift into another lane? Visitors also are not expecting the cart merging areas.

Biggest complaint is SUV drivers crossing over the yellow line into incoming traffic, so 70+ mile an hour head on collision to not be close to a golf cart they are passing.

Then just my observation, although I can see another point of view: many drivers just never see much more than the car in front of them, so it would seem to me it is easy to look slightly to the left when entering a roundabout to know if someone is coming, but many drivers just stop even if no one is in sight, and then look to their left, and then think about whether they can go.

Yes, some are in no hurry at all, while some are actually trying to get some place. Just pay attention when driving and let that be your full focus.

Second pet peeve: why do so many people stay in their cars in parking lots with their engines on, looking at their phones, then five minutes later you come back to your car and back up, and that's their cue to now back up to get out before you. Normally a big hint about being to be able to back up safely is you see if someone else just got into their car near you. With all these people sitting in their cars you can't tell when they are going to leave.
Closed Thread

Tags
drivers, horrible, poor, stop, thinking

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.