Hot tub advice

Old 05-22-2024, 08:57 AM
Platinum member
Default Hot tub advice

I am thinking about buying a hot tub. I don’t want anything fancy, just a basic hot tub wit jets and heater.

Does anyone have any suggestions about what to look at and where?

Thank you.
Old 05-22-2024, 11:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,080 Times in 2,544 Posts

110v plug and play less hassle especially if you don’t have 220v available. You still might need permit depending on which county you live in?

I was thinking about this one, but ever since Covid it not available. Watch out on these site’s, don’t give them your email so they can email you when available, majority sell your address and you be getting hundreds of junk emails from around world.

LS100 Laguna Plug-N-Play 2 Person Spa - Pool Warehouse

Last edited by Topspinmo; 05-22-2024 at 11:40 AM.
Old 05-22-2024, 12:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,448 Times in 2,341 Posts

We bought ours at Spa Kingdom route 441 just south of 466A. Some words of wisdom, call your local building department and ask for specific requirements for 120 volt (plug in) spa and 240 Volt (hard wired) spa. In the latter case (Sumter county) there are 2 permits required, a spa permit and an electrical permit. If your spa is within 5 feet of glass (windows or sliders), these must be tempered glass, and I think in both cases the spa has to be 5 feet away from electrical outlets. Make sure you take into consideration how you will drain the spa, this usually needs to be done twice a year.
Please feel free to contact me by PM and I can discuss this in greater detail with you. We have had ours since 12/2013 and moved it twice. DO NOT RELY on your supplier to pull all the necessary permits, long story but I got caught by this.
Old 05-22-2024, 01:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,421 Times in 5,512 Posts

We had one where we lived before coming here, first few years enjoyed it down the road we would almost never use it.

Moved here, house came with one and when we converted to Florida happy to give it away.

Understand lots of people have the same experience so suggest you think long and hard about use
Old 05-22-2024, 01:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,015 Times in 5,373 Posts

Hot tubs and treadmills. They sound good when you buy them, but will you really use them? A hot tub is better in an air conditioned room. Most of the time, it is too hot to use it outside.
Old 05-22-2024, 02:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,421 Times in 5,512 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Hot tubs and treadmills. They sound good when you buy them, but will you really use them? A hot tub is better in an air conditioned room. Most of the time, it is too hot to use it outside.
True we could not give away our treadmill finally paid to have it hauled away
Old 05-22-2024, 02:08 PM
Platinum member
Default Thanks!

Thank you for the replies. Topspinmo, the one you suggested is no available, but thanks, it did look like what I wanted.

I think I have decided against a hot tub. The permits required would be a hassle and expensive and I would probably not use it, as others have suggested.

Thanks again. Look at the trouble and money TOTV people have saved me. Again.
Old 05-22-2024, 02:48 PM
Veteran member
Default Spa Kingdom

I also recommend Spa Kingdom. I privately purchased a hot tub and I needed them for service. They were excellent.
Old 05-22-2024, 04:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,448 Times in 2,341 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by starflyte1 View Post
Thank you for the replies. Topspinmo, the one you suggested is no available, but thanks, it did look like what I wanted.

I think I have decided against a hot tub. The permits required would be a hassle and expensive and I would probably not use it, as others have suggested.

Thanks again. Look at the trouble and money TOTV people have saved me������. Again.
Sorry to hear that I still use mine 3 or 4 times a week, and now that my knee is hurting it provides a way to exercise the knee with almost no pain. Also, I turn the heat OFF during the summer, and the hot tub usually stays around 90 degrees, very comfortable and it feels good to cool off in the afternoon.
Old 05-22-2024, 04:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,080 Times in 2,544 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I have back problems are really used mine. But, when the hot tub electronic’s failed I got rid of it. Not worth 1000 dollar or more fix on old worthless hot tub IMO. I willing to bet when buy house with hot tub most likely never was permit pulled. Something new buyers can be Award of? when I brought my house no mention of hot tub on Any of Paper work or any permits. But, who knows what was required in 2003?
Old 05-23-2024, 05:24 AM
Default Intex Spa - Walmart or Amazon

Quote:
I am thinking about buying a hot tub. I don’t want anything fancy, just a basic hot tub wit jets and heater.

Thank you.
We’ve bought these everywhere we’ve lived (see link below). They are durable, cheap, quickly deployable, storable, and removable as well as 110 volt so they plug into a standard outlet. They can take a pounding from grandkids too! If you find you’re not getting use out of it they are easy to put on marketplace to sell. We’ve owned the more expensive, permanent models and found that we could get more value out of these. Just a cover for the others can cost as much as these and maintenance is nearly zero. Filters are comparatively cheap as is water treatment. Basically 1” chlorine tablets to maintain. The company responds well and I’ve had to replace a pump unit here ($450) once. Another option to look at! Of course Walmart and Amazon have many options.

If the link below doesn’t pop up, look for Intex Pure Spa via Google.

Robot or human?
Old 05-23-2024, 05:49 AM

Quote:

Thank you.
i'm looking to sell mine, hardly used. 2 yrs old. cheap
Old 05-23-2024, 06:12 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,904 Times in 811 Posts

Quote:

Thank you.
Salt water beats chlorine and is worth the extra money. No smell on your skin when you get out!

A lot of hot tub covers are quite heavy—beyond what many of us can handle. Be sure to buy an excellent gadget for lifting and replacing the lid. Try it out first and make sure you can do it. If it’s too hard, you will soon stop using the hot tub.
Old 05-23-2024, 06:19 AM
Veteran member

I use mine everyday, sometimes 2x a day. I’ve had many hot tubs for many decades, most in cold climates. This is Florida, get a hot tub for 110 volt. The only reason to get 220 volt is if you want to heat the tub while you have the jets on. This is Florida and even spending 45 mins in the tub in the middle of winter with the jets on, the temp goes down maybe 1 degree.
Also, hot tubs are only good in air conditioned rooms, WHAT??? Do not, do not, put your hot tub inside your house unless you put in massive dehumidifiers to control the humidity. Your house will have mold in a couple of weeks if you put it inside.
If you want to save money, go down to Orlando to buy your tub. I saved thousands buying down there over the dealers near here.
Old 05-23-2024, 06:21 AM

Quote:

Thank you.
DDO NOT BY NEAR OR IN THE VILLAGES - go to Orlando and save BIG!! You have been warned!!

Tags
hot, tub, suggestions, wit, heater

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.