Hot tub advice

Old 05-23-2024, 06:22 AM

Try the inflatable hot tubs. You can get them online. We keep ours at 103. We’ve gone through three of them over ten years. They are in the $400-$500 range
Old 05-23-2024, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starflyte1 View Post
I am thinking about buying a hot tub. I don’t want anything fancy, just a basic hot tub wit jets and heater.

Does anyone have any suggestions about what to look at and where?

Thank you.
We have a portable hot tub called Softub from

Jack Praver
Innovative Spas
Leisure Consultant
155 S Rosemont Road, Va Beach ph:757.652.7730
w: Swimming Pool and Spa sales, service, installation and maintenance. - Virginia Beach
e: jack@innovativespas.com

This is our second one, the first lasted 11 years. We had a couple minor, inexpensive issues that the company dealt with promptly. No permits needed. Plug into 110. My husband uses it daily for his back. Very easy to take care of and move.
Old 05-23-2024, 06:30 AM
Veteran member

I have owned a hot tub for the last 40 years - one in MI, two in GA, and now one here in The Villages. My current hot tub is the Tuff Spa TT250.

TuffSpa TT250

Simply put, I would never consider getting a different brand. Their patented cover is guaranteed for life. On my previous hot tubs, I had to replace the cover about every 5 years, and they were always a pain to remove, especially for one person. The cover on the Tuff Spas can be opened on either side by one person with one hand. It then becomes a shelf to put towels or drinks on. In addition, Tuff Spa only uses readily available common parts throughout it's construction, so if something fails in 5 or 6 years you can find the replacement part cheaply on line.

No matter which hot tub you go with, either get one that already has an SWCG (Salt Water Chlorine Generator) in it, or add an SWCG to it. There have been several studies recently that link continued bromine exposure to hyperthyroidism. I switched my hot tub to chlorine and installed Saltron Mini for between $200-$300. Not only is it safer for your skin and body, but my hot tub now stays far cleaner than it ever did for much longer.
Old 05-23-2024, 06:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,019 Times in 5,377 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmurano View Post
I use mine everyday, sometimes 2x a day. I’ve had many hot tubs for many decades, most in cold climates. This is Florida, get a hot tub for 110 volt. The only reason to get 220 volt is if you want to heat the tub while you have the jets on. This is Florida and even spending 45 mins in the tub in the middle of winter with the jets on, the temp goes down maybe 1 degree.
Also, hot tubs are only good in air conditioned rooms, WHAT??? Do not, do not, put your hot tub inside your house unless you put in massive dehumidifiers to control the humidity. Your house will have mold in a couple of weeks if you put it inside.
If you want to save money, go down to Orlando to buy your tub. I saved thousands buying down there over the dealers near here.
In Georgia, I had a hot tub in an enclosed lanai that had double doors to the living room, very much like a lot of houses in The Villages. It worked very well and there was no humidity or mold issue. Much more convenient than going outside, especially on a very hot or cold day. You need to have an insulated cover for the hot tub and keep the room ventilated.

How is that any different from having a jetted hot tub in your bathroom? A hot tub inside your house is much more likely to be used than having it outside.

Last edited by retiredguy123; 05-23-2024 at 06:43 AM.
Old 05-23-2024, 06:40 AM

We are very happy with our Hot Spring Spa. I you will need a company that does the installation and offers a service contract. So I would not purchase one from Costco for example. Also try to find a place 1 hour away from The Villages to get a decent price.

Spas Etc Of Orlando - Casselberry, FL 32707 - Hot Spring Spas
Old 05-23-2024, 06:57 AM
Gold member
Send a message via AIM to rjn5656
Default Hot tub

We had one for 10 years up north, now 13 years down here. Use it all the time , even in the summer. My preference is a 220v one, heats better than the 110.
Old 05-23-2024, 08:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,082 Times in 2,545 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
In Georgia, I had a hot tub in an enclosed lanai that had double doors to the living room, very much like a lot of houses in The Villages. It worked very well and there was no humidity or mold issue. Much more convenient than going outside, especially on a very hot or cold day. You need to have an insulated cover for the hot tub and keep the room ventilated.

How is that any different from having a jetted hot tub in your bathroom? A hot tub inside your house is much more likely to be used than having it outside.

About all old Ramada Inns with pools and hot tubes enclosed in building are torn down probably due to mold problems. Over the years (40 plus) the enclosed pools which had hot tubs mold migrated throughout whole building. You could smell it even in rooms that was around pool.
Jetted bath tubs don’t have chemicals in water and are not constantly inducing moisture in air cause you drain bath tube after use. Bubbling water creates moisture cloud and when inside get sucked throughout building with central air handlers.
Old 05-23-2024, 08:04 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Hot tubs and treadmills. They sound good when you buy them, but will you really use them? A hot tub is better in an air conditioned room. Most of the time, it is too hot to use it outside.
I use ours every night. When the temperature goes up, I turn the hot tub down to 95 degrees and it is very refreshing.
Old 05-23-2024, 08:09 AM
Gold member

Quote:
I am thinking about buying a hot tub. I don’t want anything fancy, just a basic hot tub wit jets and heater.

Thank you.
We bought ours at Spa Manufacturers in Clearwater. Look there. I don't think you can beat the price.

I also saw where you are concerned about permitting etc. I did it myself in Marion County but I suspect it is easy in Sumter County as well.
Old 05-23-2024, 08:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,019 Times in 5,377 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
About all old Ramada Inns with pools and hot tubes enclosed in building are torn down probably due to mold problems. Over the years (40 plus) the enclosed pools which had hot tubs mold migrated throughout whole building. You could smell it even in rooms that was around pool.
Jetted bath tubs don’t have chemicals in water and are not constantly inducing moisture in air cause you drain bath tube after use. Bubbling water creates moisture cloud and when inside get sucked throughout building with central air handlers.
I remember the Holiday Inn Domes with the inside pools. But, those pools were never covered, so they were always evaporating water and spewing chemicals. My hot tub was always covered with an insulated cover except when it was in use.
Old 05-23-2024, 08:59 AM
TOTV SPONSOR
Smile

Quote:

Thank you.
Hi there! We highly recommend:
Ocala Pool Boys 352-622-3827
Patriot Pool and Spa 352-748-0044

We also offer FREE estimates for the electrical needs of the spa that catches your eye. Please give us a call if we can help you get some pricing! 352-748-6251

(352)748-6251
Old 05-23-2024, 09:00 AM
Default hot tub

I am surprised nobody in the Villages mentions about getting a architurral review approval if outside in the Villages. Had a Hot Springs in WI for 10 years, cost about $1/day. Kept it at 100 degs. Not too hot to get in, can sit for long periods with out getting over heated. Used about 5-6 days a week year around.

Been thinking about getting one in the Villages, was looking at a Frog? simular to a Hot Springs. Half hour in there before bed, maybe remember rolling over once before falling a sleep.

Top cover absorts mositure, after about 5 years would get saturated and have to replace. Too heavy to lift.
Old 05-23-2024, 10:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,453 Times in 2,343 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by craarmy View Post
I am surprised nobody in the Villages mentions about getting a architurral review approval if outside in the Villages. Had a Hot Springs in WI for 10 years, cost about $1/day. Kept it at 100 degs. Not too hot to get in, can sit for long periods with out getting over heated. Used about 5-6 days a week year around.

Been thinking about getting one in the Villages, was looking at a Frog? simular to a Hot Springs. Half hour in there before bed, maybe remember rolling over once before falling a sleep.

Top cover absorts mositure, after about 5 years would get saturated and have to replace. Too heavy to lift.
If the hot tub/spa is in the birdcage NO ARC approval required, if you the other hand this is going to be installed outside on its own concrete pad, then yes ARC approval would be required.
Old 05-24-2024, 06:11 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,200 Times in 906 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoolBrews View Post
I have owned a hot tub for the last 40 years - one in MI, two in GA, and now one here in The Villages. My current hot tub is the Tuff Spa TT250.

TuffSpa TT250

Simply put, I would never consider getting a different brand. Their patented cover is guaranteed for life. On my previous hot tubs, I had to replace the cover about every 5 years, and they were always a pain to remove, especially for one person. The cover on the Tuff Spas can be opened on either side by one person with one hand. It then becomes a shelf to put towels or drinks on. In addition, Tuff Spa only uses readily available common parts throughout it's construction, so if something fails in 5 or 6 years you can find the replacement part cheaply on line.

No matter which hot tub you go with, either get one that already has an SWCG (Salt Water Chlorine Generator) in it, or add an SWCG to it. There have been several studies recently that link continued bromine exposure to hyperthyroidism. I switched my hot tub to chlorine and installed Saltron Mini for between $200-$300. Not only is it safer for your skin and body, but my hot tub now stays far cleaner than it ever did for much longer.
Wow great info.
Old 05-24-2024, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmurano View Post
I use mine everyday, sometimes 2x a day. I’ve had many hot tubs for many decades, most in cold climates. This is Florida, get a hot tub for 110 volt. The only reason to get 220 volt is if you want to heat the tub while you have the jets on. This is Florida and even spending 45 mins in the tub in the middle of winter with the jets on, the temp goes down maybe 1 degree. .
Not true. The nicer more expensive hot tubs require 220 voltage.

Tags
hot, tub, suggestions, wit, heater

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.