Hot Water Heater Maintenance

Closed Thread
Old 10-30-2021, 07:51 AM

I flush/drain the tank once or twice a year when I'm down to my place > I do get some sediment . Yes you probably can replace rod but when you get a tank tank that's 5-7 years of age now your at the point of how much longer is it going to last especially if if it is used very much. At this your rolling the dice you could get a couple months more or 5 to 6 years out of it so you have to decide if it worth replacing the rod ( if you do it yourself you'll save money) or buy a new tank all together
Old 10-30-2021, 08:07 AM
Exclamation Not easy task

I did one in Colorado on a gas water heater. First you need a 1 1/16 half inch socket(not common) with a breaker bar. Then a 3 or 4 foot length of heavy pipe to leverage the breaker bar to break the rod loose. It's in a recessed covered area on the top by the in/out connections. I had to have help to stabilize the heater to break it loose. Mine was completely eaten up and I had basically a thick wire remaining. I did this at ten years so no idea when it was end of life. Then had to cut off new rod to drop into port on top as hit ceiling and it is a precise hole to insert. I DO NOT RECOMMEND. I have installed dozens of heaters and elements. If very hard water the first time you loose a lower element on electric, start saving up for a new water heater.
Old 10-30-2021, 08:17 AM

Tankless is the best. We have had one for 11 years A/C company puts white vinegar through it once a year with no problems, they are the best and noticeably lower gas bill too!!
Old 10-30-2021, 09:05 AM
Default Don't replace anode rod

While I agree that most people in TV never perform ANY kind of maintenance on their hot water heater, you are commended on drainage of the tank.
For the short time we've lived in TV, and family that have lived here since 1994, draining a tank and briefly flushing, a minimum of once a year, HWH should last 15 - 20 years, with no other service, other than replacing one or both heating elements on electric models, possibly every 10 years or so. Gas units are pretty much trouble free, other than cleaning.
Personally, while the water isn't real bad in TV (compared to what we had in OH and MD), I try to drain my HWH twice a year, clean the top, move things away
from the tank and do a lite sweeping with a duster to the gas controls and around the base.
Old 10-30-2021, 09:48 AM

I have a tankless water heater. I had thought the hot water would be available almost immediately but the bathroom faucets on the end of the house take about 3 minutes to get warm. I've given up getting hot water there except for the shower. I guess most people have the same experience here?
Old 10-30-2021, 11:26 AM
Default anode rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrref View Post
Has anyone changed the anode rod in their hot water heater after 5-7 years? The reason i ask is once a year i drain my hot water heater and expansion tank and change the expansion tank if needed. I know after time the anode rod will dissentrigate and need to be replaced. The problem is in most of the Villages Designer homes there is not enough height above the water heater to remove the old rod if a lot remains or to install the new rod. I know they make segmented rods to help with this issue but i'm interested to know if this is normal maintenance that most villagers have done by a plumber? I get a slight rotten egg smell when i turn on the hot water occasionally which i was told is from the magnesium anode rod in the heater. With a traditional gas hot water heater you probably change it every 8 to 10 years so most might not bother changing the anode rod but i have an electric heater which is supposed to last longer so changing the rod is probably beneficial to helping the heater last longer.
If you have a water softener, the anode rod should be removed. I failed to remove mine and the rod dissentrigated and all the particles stoped up the washer lines and faucet screens. The rod will only last about 2 or 3 years with a water softener and several plumbers have told me it is not required with a softener.
Old 10-30-2021, 11:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,743 Times in 5,255 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calisport View Post
I have a tankless water heater. I had thought the hot water would be available almost immediately but the bathroom faucets on the end of the house take about 3 minutes to get warm. I've given up getting hot water there except for the shower. I guess most people have the same experience here?
The water won't get hot until the unheated water sitting in the pipes flows through. One way to speed up the hot water to the shower is the turn on the hot water to the sink faucet and the shower at the same time. I have found that this reduces the wait time by more than half.
Old 10-30-2021, 12:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calisport View Post
Had a tankless up north, same issue. Added a recirculation line from WH to the furthest bathroom (we had a crawl space so it was easy) and HW was virtually instant. Unfortunately we have electric here and no crawl sapce and have same issue. We did add a recirc pump here which helped immensely but has it's downsides. Yes, the recirc pump is unnecessary and just a $200 luxury but I just liked the convenience and from all the $$$ I saved over my lifetime not smoking or drinking I could afford it! (Pre-Answering the usual comments when people suggest a recirc pump on an electric WH ).
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 10-30-2021, 05:02 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Many don't even know what an anode rod or expansion tank is,
Isn’t an anode similar to a gecko ??
Closed Thread

Tags
heater, rod, water, hot, anode

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.