Hot Water tank replacement - over $2K?

Closed Thread
Old 12-04-2020, 09:43 AM
Default Hot Water tank replacement - over $2K?

It's been a while since I replaced one, and I'm shocked at a quote for over $2K for a 10 year tank.

Anyone confirm if this is the right ballpark? I guess it's been too long since I had this done. (I was expecting half that price)
Old 12-04-2020, 09:50 AM

For a simple change out, sounds way too high
Check with Lowes or Home Depot. They can usually sell you a new water heater plus install at a fair price. In addition they will stand behind the warrenty and the installation work.
Old 12-04-2020, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neils View Post
For a simple change out, sounds way too high
Check with Lowes or Home Depot. They can usually sell you a new water heater plus install at a fair price. In addition they will stand behind the warrenty and the installation work.
Great call - never even thought of that.

Thanks.
Old 12-04-2020, 09:55 AM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,759 Times in 757 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skarra View Post
It's been a while since I replaced one, and I'm shocked at a quote for over $2K for a 10 year tank.

Anyone confirm if this is the right ballpark? I guess it's been too long since I had this done. (I was expecting half that price)
Well things must have changed a GREAT deal since we bought a new one last year ! Bought at Home Depot, gas, same brand we've bought for YEARS in several homes in several states. Hired a plumber to install it (checked on TOTV for recommendation of someone who does this work... the BIG name with the fleet of vans want you to buy THEIR water heater, no need, can choose your own and HD will deliver (and would install too). Total was LESS than 25% of what you were quoted. BEWARE ! O.A. Smith is what we bought. Installation was fairly quick.... we had an existing one so not much to switching out for new one.

Last edited by Pairadocs; 12-04-2020 at 09:56 AM. Reason: sp error
Old 12-04-2020, 09:56 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,254 Times in 425 Posts

Quote:

Would you mention what company gave you a 2K quote?
Old 12-04-2020, 10:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:

https://www.lowes.com/search?searchT...llUpVariants=0

Here's a link of what Lowes has in stock in Trailwinds in 40 and 50 gallon electric tanks, most are between $300 and $400. I use Kiley and Sons for plumbing, they charge by the hour. Yes, they install something you buy yourself, I had them install a sink in September I bought at Home Depot. They charge by the hour, two years ago I had them install a new disposal, the hour rate was $100, he did the disposal in 30 minutes so I had him fix two other items in the remaining time. Here's the sink they just put in. He had removed the old sink and faucet, cut the countertop with a jigsaw, close off one drain and change the disposal from the old sink to the new sink, install this professional faucet, that's not granite but the original formica, took him about two hours, I wouldn't even attempt that myself even with the help of youtube.

The Villages Florida
Old 12-04-2020, 10:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,018 Times in 1,012 Posts

thx for sharing this valuable info. by any chance, do you recommend a tankless heater? someone told me it serves hot water without waiting 2mins or so for it to warm up
Old 12-04-2020, 10:08 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts

OP, somebody is trying to “rip you off”. Outrageous that they would do that to anybody but apparently it’s done everyday here in The Villages. Lowe’s or Home Depot as mentioned by others. Good luck.
Old 12-04-2020, 10:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

I would think at that quoted price you would get dinner and drinks first..... maybe even a kiss.
Old 12-04-2020, 10:22 AM
Veteran member

This is exactly the reason this site is so good, there's help when you really need it, despite a lot of the petty stuff that goes on. I don't need a hot water heater yet, but I'm now prepared for when I do. So thanks.
Old 12-04-2020, 10:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,717 Times in 5,245 Posts

Quote:

That price is way too high. Shop around. I would suggest that you add an expansion tank if you don't already have one. The latest code requires it, but some plumbers will omit it.
Old 12-04-2020, 10:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,421 Times in 2,268 Posts

Quote:

Are you sure they're not quoting for a tankless water heater? If not I would run far and fast from that company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PugMom View Post
thx for sharing this valuable info. by any chance, do you recommend a tankless heater? someone told me it serves hot water without waiting 2mins or so for it to warm up
As a general statement that's not true.. But it can be..

A tankless water heater will give you an unlimited amount of hot water, but to have hot water on demand you'll need a system that is set up to recirculate the water. To recirculate water you will need to have a return line installed so water can circulate throughout the house. If not it will take just as long to get hot water to any faucet in the house as your regular tank system. The water still has to travel the same distance to get to any fixture.

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 12-04-2020, 10:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,932 Times in 2,455 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
https://www.lowes.com/search?searchT...llUpVariants=0

Here's a link of what Lowes has in stock in Trailwinds in 40 and 50 gallon electric tanks, most are between $300 and $400. I use Kiley and Sons for plumbing, they charge by the hour. Yes, they install something you buy yourself, I had them install a sink in September I bought at Home Depot. They charge by the hour, two years ago I had them install a new disposal, the hour rate was $100, he did the disposal in 30 minutes so I had him fix two other items in the remaining time. Here's the sink they just put in. He had removed the old sink and faucet, cut the countertop with a jigsaw, close off one drain and change the disposal from the old sink to the new sink, install this professional faucet, that's not granite but the original formica, took him about two hours, I wouldn't even attempt that myself even with the help of youtube.

The Villages Florida

I agree, even though I could do it myself, I don’t have all parts available without making several trips to get job done. They have parts on hand on the truck, so it goes much faster.
Old 12-04-2020, 11:33 AM
Default Tank replacement:

Just replaced original tank 16 yrs old with new gas water heater for a net cost of $700 including a utility rebate.

Mike Scott Plumbing did the job.
Old 12-04-2020, 11:37 AM
Veteran member
Location: Upstate NY, So Fla, Louisiana, So Fla, Santiago and now Bonnybrook

If you have gas with TECO call them. They will set everything up and have installed for around $600. A lot of people on this site have recommended going that way.
Closed Thread

Tags
$2k, tank, expecting, half, long

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.