Hotels in The Village

Closed Thread
Old 08-19-2018, 03:19 AM
Sage
Default AAA and AARP Hotel Discounts

If you do decide to stay in a hotel when visiting The Villages and you are a member of AAA Motor Club or AARP, be sure to check on the AAA or AARP rates for that hotel. I always do when I check on a hotel's rates.

Gosh those Alden bungalows look nice! Thank you John W for posting the photo.

And definitely take the Trolley tours if you visit The Villages. Inquire at the The Villages sales office before or during your visit about times and routes. There are sales offices at all 3 town squares which are Spanish Springs, Lake Sumter Landing and Brownwood.
Old 08-19-2018, 11:07 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sss1019 View Post
I'm still a few years away from retirement, but guess it's never to early to start planning, so I'm thinking of taking a drive over and spend a weekend in The Villages. I live in Fairhope, Alabama which is about a six hour drive away. I've done the drive numerous times to Disney so I know my way there. I'm just not sure where is the best hotel to stay once I get there. I would like to be able to walk to one of the town squares, restaurants, etc. Not sure I'm interested at this point with planning a stay through The Villages and their $99 offer. Would like experience without a sales person unless everyone recommends going this route. I appreciate any advice....Scott
You may want to consider a weekend rental that includes a golf cart. For what you would pay in most hotels ($100-$125a night) you can get better and bigger accomdations by staying in a private home that includes a golf cart. Depending on your dates, I may be able to help you.
Rae 920-265-8425 and I text...

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk
Old 08-20-2018, 06:48 AM
Veteran member

I’ve stayed at the Waterfront Inn two years ago and I thought it was really cute. Since then they’ve updated. It’s a great location for Lake Sumter. We also stayed at the Townplace Suites in Spanish Springs and I liked the suite aspect, as we tend to over order, so we could eat some meals in the room.

Note, the hotels don’t provide golf carts or access to amenities like the pickle ball courts or golf courses. If you want a pass for those you need to go the lifestyle visit route or rent a home through one of the vacation rental websites.

Our lifestyle visit was two years ago in the Alden Bungalows. We got there durning construction, and the location near Brownwood and the realtor assigned did not make me want to move to the Villages. But my husband wouldn’t give up, got a short term rental near walking distance to Lake Sumter Landing and here we are.
Old 08-20-2018, 10:59 AM
Sage

Some of the hotels on the outskirts are not that secure-thefts and cars broken into--Waterfront and or a house in TV is the way to go
Old 08-20-2018, 03:28 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
I probably shouldn't advocate for this because we have a neighbor that does it and we don't like it, but several Villagers list rooms in their homes for short term rentals on airbnb. I am guessing that if the developers of the Villages ever anticipated that something like airbnb would ever exist, appropriate deed restrictions would have been put in place to keep them out of the Villages. I wonder if the individual CDD deed restrictions can be revised to address unanticipated problems like this?
I don’t know but I would think this is technically not allowed. Yes, you may rent your home but you may not run a business out of your home. I would think renting rooms is running a business in your home. Just wondering
Old 08-21-2018, 06:25 AM
Gold member
Send a message via AIM to rjn5656

Stay at the Waterfront, walk downtown in Sumter Landing and just talk to the people. They will tell you all you want to know.
Old 08-21-2018, 12:03 PM

You only get one shot at the lifestyle program, so if you just want a few days, stay at the Waterfront Inn. I would think you could rent a golf cart at Lake Sumter Landing. When you really are interesting in buying, then go for the lifestyle program. You screw over the Realtors, and waste there time, if you use the lifestyle program as a vacation.
Old 08-21-2018, 02:40 PM

Don't waste your time with a golf cart....too slow. Use a car and do the trolley tour. You will see more, the place is huge and very confusing for first timers.
Old 08-21-2018, 03:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by maureenod View Post
Don't waste your time with a golf cart....too slow. Use a car and do the trolley tour. You will see more, the place is huge and very confusing for first timers.
I couldn't agree more, I think when people say get a golf cart you can really see the place better they are doing a disservice. That's like giving you a bicycle in New York City and saying, you can see the place better. It's hard enough to know where you're going in TV when you're new, the cart paths travel across roadways, along side roadways and under roadways and sometimes you'll be on the roadway. It's a good way to get killed in a slow moving vehicle when you don't know where you're at.

When I was on my LSV and was staying at LSL in the cottages on the east side of the square back in 2011, I didn't take the cart further than the square, which was 2 blocks away. After that, I just walked, it was easier. When I had a round of free golf at Cane Garden I drove my car to the course and they gave me a cart for free to use during my round. Those LSV carts only go 14 mph, so not only are you confused on where you are, where you're going, you will take forever getting there in a LSV cart.
Old 08-23-2018, 07:03 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by perrjojo View Post
I don’t know but I would think this is technically not allowed. Yes, you may rent your home but you may not run a business out of your home. I would think renting rooms is running a business in your home. Just wondering
If you check Airbnb, there are quite a few listings in The Villages. I have stayed at 2 Airbnb listings in The Villages, once over New Year's weekend of 2017 and once for 5 days this past February. Both homes were lovely, and the hosts were great. Are Airbnb listings compliant to the CDD deed restrictions -- don't know. Since Airbnb has been around for several years now, the genie may be out of the bottle on this one or maybe not.

Last edited by Schaumburger; 08-23-2018 at 07:06 AM. Reason: typo
Old 08-25-2018, 07:39 PM

I've stayed at the Waterfront Inn twice and enjoyed it each and every time. The walking proximity to LSL can't be beat. We rented a golf cart from The Villages Golf Cart store nearby, and left it and our rented car in the parking lot of the hotel with no problems (although sometimes spots were hard to find during the hours of the square's live entertainment). A friend who lives nearby got us guest ID's for all The Villages amenities. I've also done the lifestyle visit. The house they gave us near Brownwood was awesome. Granite countertops; tile floors. And of course the golf cart, and an ID to get you into all the rec centers and pools. So here's the difference. If your visit is to experience the lifestyle, and you can get a friend to get you ID's, stay at the hotel. If your visit is to do research on buying a future home, and you don't know anyone who can get you a guest ID, go with the lifestyle visit. Either way you will have a great time!
Closed Thread

Tags
drive, villages, stay, planning, walk

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.