house construction

Closed Thread
Old 10-22-2017, 10:20 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiotte View Post
My house, built in 2017 has it’s front door opened IN.
Normally, residential doors open IN, unlike public or commercial doors open outward to allow crowds of people to exit quickly incase of an emergency. There are many advantages of residential doors opening inward. If there are steps, you would knock the visitor off of them to open the door; in the north, if snow piled up you wouldn't be able to open the door; there is more security with an in-swing door because the hinge pins are on the inside, not on the outside where they could be removed; in-swing doors allow you to put up a storm door; doors on the inside are more protected from the weather. Just because doors swing in doesn't mean the house is shabbily built. All the houses in The Villages are built according to the latest building codes.
Old 10-22-2017, 10:22 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooper View Post
Normally, residential doors open IN, unlike public or commercial doors open outward to allow crowds of people to exit quickly incase of an emergency. There are many advantages of residential doors opening inward. If there are steps, you would knock the visitor off of them to open the door; in the north, if snow piled up you wouldn't be able to open the door; there is more security with an in-swing door because the hinge pins are on the inside, not on the outside where they could be removed; in-swing doors allow you to put up a storm door; doors on the inside are more protected from the weather. Just because doors swing in doesn't mean the house is shabbily built. All the houses in The Villages are built according to the latest building codes.

The OP wanted to know if TV house’s met South Florida hurricane standards. Those standards among others specify entry doors to open OUT. That was my point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-22-2017, 10:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I wonder sometimes what would make some people happy.

I think a lot of people envy the success of the ordinary people who figured this place out and did it without grants and Federal funding, risking their own money each time they took the HUGE risk of expanding. These kind of people are my heros. I am very glad they are financially successful, because they deserve it. I love the free market and I love capitalism and I am glad when a venture as large as this succeeds. It is unprecedented, I think for a city to be run privately and well. I have observed this place and how it is run for almost ten years. I have been carefully watching and my summary is that the Morse Family are decent, ethical people. And they are people with feelings and they must read these posts occasionally. After a certain level of financial success, the things people can buy have been bought. I would think that they must be proud of this beautiful place. I hope they know that some of us are proud of them.

The bitterness, and hate, and constant harping against this place and it's builders are uncalled for IMHO.

Last edited by graciegirl; 10-23-2017 at 12:12 AM.
Old 10-22-2017, 11:04 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

IMHO people buy in The Villages primarily for the lifestyle, certainly not for the construction quality or lack thereof. Other than residual high winds from hurricanes which typically impact the coasts much harder, an occasional tornado and being in the lightning belt the weather is not severe. No worry about snow loads and ice on roofs, freezing plumbing, all that. The homes are attractive, livable and comfortable tract homes - a little close to one another for privacy, but with little yard to maintain. The community is designed for and targeted to suit 55 and over active adults. That is why houses sell so well. It pretty much boils down to location, location, location...as does most real estate.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 10-22-2017, 11:07 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
IMHO people buy in The Villages primarily for the lifestyle, certainly not for the construction quality or lack thereof. Other than residual high winds from hurricanes which typically impact the coasts much harder, an occasional tornado and being in the lightning belt the weather is not severe. No worry about snow loads and ice on roofs, freezing plumbing, all that. The homes are attractive, livable and comfortable tract homes - a little close to one another for privacy, but with little yard to maintain. The community is designed for and targeted to suit 55 and over active adults. That is why houses sell so well. It pretty much boils down to location, location, location...as does most real estate.

Yep

Old 10-22-2017, 11:08 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiotte View Post
The OP wanted to know if TV house’s met South Florida hurricane standards. Those standards among others specify entry doors to open OUT. That was my point.

The OP's question was answered early on. The answer is NO. South Florida homes have to be built to as much as a 150 mph wind load while here in the tri-county area the requirements drop 100 mph. There are NO specifications that require residential doors to open out. If there were, most homes inThe Villages would be in violation. My point was to insure readers of this forum that all the houses in The Villages are built to strict Florida building code requirements as previous posts may be suggesting otherwise.
Old 10-22-2017, 11:35 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

How "strict" are Florida building codes? Hurricane Irma could test Florida's Hurricane Andrew-inspired building code

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 10-23-2017, 12:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
The State's building codes were changed in June of 2010. I posted the link on this thread earlier. I will find it and link you again.. Here it is; New Florida Building Codes Take Effect June 30 | ICC

It has been described in detail on this thread how the homes are built here. We watched the home we live in now being built. Visited it every day. I do not sell real estate. I have NEVER sold real estate. I don't know the developers. I just get so tired of the harping against them. For no good reason.

Last edited by graciegirl; 10-23-2017 at 12:33 AM.
Closed Thread

Tags
high, i.e, standards, impact, windows

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.