House Hunting

Old 05-22-2024, 01:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,943 Times in 796 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
OP, if you are after the fenced yard for your pet, please do a search on this site, this is NOT recommended, way too many predators in this area.
In my opinion whether to buy fenced or not for a pet should depend on what you plan to do going forward. We bought a CYV specifically so our two dogs (40 & 50 lbs) can go in and out as they please. They enjoy that freedom and spend a lot of time on the patio lounging around and chasing anoles. But they are always in our view, and after dark we go outside with them.
Granted, it's a wall, not a fence, so there is a bit more protection. But no way would they be out there without our supervision.
Old 05-22-2024, 02:12 PM
Default Fence for my dog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
OP, if you are after the fenced yard for your pet, please do a search on this site, this is NOT recommended, way too many predators in this area.
We are looking at Verandas because we have a dog and just thought it would be easier to let him at night. We weren’t planning on him ever being out unattended. Is this possible in TV or will he end up getting eaten?
Old 05-22-2024, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remo7E View Post
We are looking at Verandas because we have a dog and just thought it would be easier to let him at night. We weren’t planning on him ever being out unattended. Is this possible in TV or will he end up getting eaten?
It’s not just what might try to eat him. What if he were to find a scorpion or a snake or a palm rat? Would you want him to eat a palmetto bug?
Old 05-23-2024, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glowing Horizon View Post
It’s not just what might try to eat him. What if he were to find a scorpion or a snake or a palm rat? Would you want him to eat a palmetto bug?
Thanks - this changes our house search criteria.
Old 05-23-2024, 08:05 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glowing Horizon View Post
Has that ever happened? The most my dogs have ever gone for was a chicken bone out on the street while we were walking. I've never seen a scorpion on either our designer or this CYV property, and since the dogs are supervised while outside, I would pull them in when Mr. snake (black garter) occasionally comes around. Palm rats... we got rid of the palm tree after the rats invaded the garage. Don't put a palm tree in. They grow bigger than the house, are expensive to maintain, and house little rats.

Don't change your search. All the "disasters" listed have never happened to us in the last 12 years. I love having free reign for our pups out on the patio. If you plan on sitting outside, it is nice to have them with you. When we sit on the front porch, we have to have them on lines or leashes.
Old 05-23-2024, 07:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,652 Times in 1,365 Posts

We back up to the prairie, with a drop of 10’ wall, and a fence on top of the wall. While we aren’t fenced in. we do have predators.

Bob cat runs along the outside of the fence setting off our cameras nightly. The little family of coyotes Mom, Dad, and 3 pups travel between our pool and the wall. No snakes in our area, but around the corner are couple of coral snakes

We have bird of prey that sit on the house next door, watching our 4 pound cat in the birdcage. Unlikely they will ever figure out how to open the screened doors, but they could have escaped from a circus.

As far as palmetto bugs, she has eaten or tried to eat on two separate occasions. Took her a week of vomiting, and other intestinal issues to recover. Vet said it will work itself out. Keep hydrating.

You didn’t say how big your pet is, but I will admit when our grand dogs visit at 45 pounds they are never out alone day or night.

I wouldn’t change search, for a veranda or CYV, but just caution at night
Old 05-23-2024, 07:32 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post

I wouldn’t change search, for a veranda or CYV, but just caution at night

Agree. Chances are with OP's budget, he won't be backing up to a prairie, but I wouldn't worry about predators, depending on the dog's size. I would definitely not let them out unsupervised, even if they're larger.
As I speak we're sitting out on the patio of our CYV. There's a great breeze, it's cool and pleasant, and the dogs are running around chasing anoles that they will never catch. It's sooo nice to be out here after the 90+ hot sun day. And having the rascals out here with us makes it even better.

Tags
house, fenny, area, desoto, view

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.