house taxes

Closed Thread
Old 12-03-2020, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by village dreamer View Post
went on zillow and punch in my street to see the difference of my neighbors , the taxes should be about the same give or take a few hundred. no ...anywhere from 500 to a 1300 , thats a big difference. yes i know lot size , house size and the location. my street is a cookie cutter , most 1985 - 2020 sq ft 2 car garage. i just dont understand why the same house is $1300 difference ,thats apples to apples .
Three reasons....1 if you are a Florida resident with Homestead deduction, 2. How long you have lived in Florida with Homestead. Florida caps appraisal increases to 2% or cost of living increases. The mill rate can change, but as your home increases in value, you are not penalized while living on a fixed budget. If you are a snow bird and not a Florida resident, your value increases with appraisal and mill rate each year. 3. Each time your home is sold, the homestead deduction resets to appraised value. If you are a FL resident and move within FL, you can transfer your homestead deduction with your purchase.
Old 12-03-2020, 12:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
This will make it easy.

Lake County Florida Tax Records

Sumter County Tax Records

There's another important form. If your AGI (Adjusted Gross Income) on your tax return is less than $30,700 you can get a low income tax deduction. They use to mail the form every year after you're in the system, but last year they sent a letter which basically said you will automatically get the deduction after you file the first time, and you don't need to file again unless you make too money. Here's the form at the link below. On the southside of TV, the Sumter County Tax office is in the gold dome building at Powell Rd and 466A behind Walgreens. Go down the hallway on the right (library is on the left) and last door on the left just before the driver's license waiting area is the tax office.

https://floridarevenue.com/property/...ts/dr501sc.pdf

If you have a VA disability as I mentioned in post #3, you don't have to be 100% to get the deduction, I get it for 40% myself. Take a letter from the VA to that same tax office and you'll get $5,000 deduction unless it was combat related. Then you can get up to 100% off, it's prorated on the amount of your disability. If your forms do not say it's combat related and it was, such as agent orange, in the same room is a VA liaison office at the window to the right of the tax desk and they can get you a disability combat related letter in five minutes.
Thank you JohnW for your service, I assume your agent orange was from your service in Vietnam, my brother-in-law was killed in Quan Tri providence, you deserve every benefit given to you and all our veterans.
Old 12-03-2020, 03:00 PM
Send a message via AIM to newgirl

They give discounts for your disability or that you are a disabled vet? I heard they gave disabled folks a break but could not find more info on it.
Old 12-03-2020, 03:25 PM

Also are you a snow bird and are not a registered Florida resident. That makes a difference as well. But start by contacting the proper county assesor.
Old 12-03-2020, 03:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by newgirl View Post
They give discounts for your disability or that you are a disabled vet? I heard they gave disabled folks a break but could not find more info on it.
Sumter County Property Appraiser - Joey Hooten - Bushnell, Florida - 352-569-6800
Old 12-03-2020, 07:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davem4616 View Post
why would it even matter to anyone what their neighbor pays for property taxes...

adopt a shelter dog if you need something to do
In the last place we lived, you could dispute your property taxes. Going in armed with sale dates and tax amounts of neighboring houses was paramount. It's public knowledge and nothing wrong with looking it up.

Also when house hunting it helps to know sale dates, sale prices and taxes of neighboring houses.

Comparables.

Tags
difference, house, taxes, size, street

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.