Housing market direction indicator

Closed Thread
Old 09-15-2021, 09:40 AM
Default Housing market direction indicator

For those wondering if this housing market will slow down or stop anytime soon, interesting read.

America is short more than 5 million homes, study says
Old 09-15-2021, 12:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koapaka View Post
For those wondering if this housing market will slow down or stop anytime soon, interesting read.

Like most things we tend to believe what is now will always be so. It is like a perfect storm. Skilled labor shortage, low mortgage interest etc and high tax incentives. Any can change. Real estate and the stock market always go up-except when they don't. We bought in the villages 9 years ago and of course on paper our home is worth more than we paid. Reality, assuming I am still alive, I will need to live somewhere and that too wherever or whatever will also cost more.
Old 09-15-2021, 02:51 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts
Default Housing Market

Quote:

I don’t have a “crystal ball” but for all the reasons cited in the article and adding The Villages (TV) specifically to where prices are going, I think prices will not go down or even level off for a couple of years. A lot of people still want to move to a warmer climate after they retire. Florida, Arizona, North and South Carolina, and Texas seem very popular places to live these days. Not to mention lower taxes in these States. However, taxes are also likely to be higher in these States in the future too. TV has gotten more expensive over the last fifteen years. The dream of retiring here may be beyond some retirees income than it was fifteen years ago and that is understandably sad.

Last edited by justjim; 09-15-2021 at 02:52 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 09-15-2021, 04:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
I don’t have a “crystal ball” but for all the reasons cited in the article and adding The Villages (TV) specifically to where prices are going, I think prices will not go down or even level off for a couple of years. A lot of people still want to move to a warmer climate after they retire. Florida, Arizona, North and South Carolina, and Texas seem very popular places to live these days. Not to mention lower taxes in these States. However, taxes are also likely to be higher in these States in the future too. TV has gotten more expensive over the last fifteen years. The dream of retiring here may be beyond some retirees income than it was fifteen years ago and that is understandably sad.
I seem to have a strange view on most things. Happiness is a choice we make. I've been poor. Truth I NEVER said I would be happy if only I could have. Money does not buy happiness it does make misery more fun and more affordable.

A home is a long term commitment. What to spend? For all of us it is a guess. There was that term house poor.

Taxes? We are ex-New Yorkers. We ran from a 6% state tax, a 3% city tax and real estate tax that would make you cry. Truth. HUH. I think Florida oranges are or were cheaper in New York.

We were happy there and are happy here. Snow is pretty. Should it ever snow here a snow shovel is called a manure shovel.

Nothing is ever perfect. I for one have far more than I ever thought I would.

Woulda, shoulda, coulda does not ever bring happiness
Old 09-15-2021, 04:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,310 Times in 824 Posts

Quote:

Let's assume 2 people per household for the moment. If we are short 5 million homes where are these ten million people living now ?
Old 09-15-2021, 05:33 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,340 Times in 1,448 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
Let's assume 2 people per household for the moment. If we are short 5 million homes where are these ten million people living now ?
with their parents
Old 09-16-2021, 05:06 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,522 Times in 628 Posts

Quote:
Tents
Old 09-16-2021, 05:38 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 761 Posts

Lower priced homes are in demand and will not go down. Many reit with billions of capital buy them and rent them. Just hope they don’t come here
Old 09-16-2021, 06:07 AM

Coming across the border.
Old 09-16-2021, 06:14 AM

Lot of talk about the housing bubble at the moment a lot of chatter on where it’s going .. the overall is that we are on the edge of a housing crash.. I tend to agree that this will happen. I get agents tell me that the villages don’t go down except they don’t tell you from 2006 to 2012 it did drop like a rock. Yes with the rest of the country from 2012 to today it’s gone up.. The Coming Housing Market Crash | How Bad It'll Be. - YouTube
Old 09-16-2021, 06:47 AM

Quote:
let's assume 2 people per household for the moment. If we are short 5 million homes where are these ten million people living now ?
with their parents!
Old 09-16-2021, 07:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,911 Times in 917 Posts

Where are they living? One of the problems is that the boomer population is living a lot longer and more affluently, ie, the villages, some with two houses, so when there was a turnover of houses to a younger generation in the past, is exacerbated with living longer and having more houses

not the same as the past, so that is why there is a shortage, and with the economics so favorable along with the working from home movement due to technology, that is the perfect storm. . .

trends move slowly, and trend disruptors also move slowly, until it hits a tipping point, and then the unknown event pushes it over. Read Malcom Gladwell book, the tipping point. Happens all the time.
Old 09-16-2021, 07:11 AM

Quote:

In citing the shortage, they use the term ‘single-family home’, which to me has typically meant a stand-alone home, not a condo or townhouse. So wondering if, in this context, single-family home also includes the latter?
Old 09-16-2021, 07:32 AM
Veteran member
Default Park city utah

Up 100% one year! But you need to be a millionaire to live there.
Old 09-16-2021, 07:36 AM
Veteran member

Happiness is have two cents and only spending one . You are in a great zone!!!! The rich people I know have great unhappiness in their lives, it's people like you and I had just get along that seemed to do the best
Closed Thread

Tags
housing, market, read, interesting, anytime

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.