How to check age of roof and HVAC??

Closed Thread
Old 04-12-2021, 07:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kp11364 View Post
I'm planning on moving to TV, but if the realtor does not know the age of a roof for a property, can that information be obtained through the county? If so, who would I contact?

Same for the HVAC - would this be a county registered item, or I'd have to depend on the realtor and the seller?
You may want to hire a home inspector cost is around $600- my guess. They will inspect and give you a written report about the roof, ac etc.
Old 04-12-2021, 07:42 AM

The Villages Deeds Restriction Office--Phone # 352-751-3912-- has that information if a permit which is mandatory was obtained. I try to get as much information myself so that I'm absolutely sure it's correct. The problem is knowing where to get the information. You can go to the "Deeds Restriction Office" also called "Community Standards Office" and ask them for a copy of "Covenants & Restrictions", "External Deeds Restrictions"(for the specific district the house is in--they are different for each district) and the "Architectural Standards Rules". All are available on-line but it's not always easy to find them. I read the sad story of someone who bought a house and they were reported for costly deed violations just after moving in and had to pay to have them taken care of. Good luck.
Old 04-12-2021, 07:54 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
I'm planning on moving to TV, but if the realtor does not know the age of a roof for a property, can that information be obtained through the county? If so, who would I contact?

Same for the HVAC - would this be a county registered item, or I'd have to depend on the realtor and the seller?
Well, that’s a great question! I have no idea how to tell you how old a roof is. I’m guessing the age of the house should be a good way to tell you the age. Most of the homes south of Sumter Landing I would think the roofs are 10 yrs. or less. So if the home is 10 yrs. or older I would guess the home is going to need a roof in the next 5 yrs. or wait until it starts leaking. A new roof these days is a very expensive update. Good Luck finding the age of your home you’re planning to buy! If you find out how to find the age of a roof, post it here again I would like to know too!
Old 04-12-2021, 07:55 AM

I'm still in R&D mode right now, and I want to make sure I ask all the right questions, or know where I can get information. I have some information set already - approximate location, house size, stucco/block - but as I've been reading here, I know about the roof age and insurance issues, so that's really at the top of "must have information" list.
Old 04-12-2021, 08:01 AM
Veteran member
Location: Dhahran, Duesseldorf, Hemel Hempstead, Phoenix, Grand Rapids, Washington DC, and now TV

The Villages themselves were built up one by one, so nearly every home in a village is going to be the same age. Easy to find out by viewing details on Zillow for the home, or neighbor's home...
Old 04-12-2021, 08:08 AM

A good realtor knows how to pull roof permits. Switch realtors if they don’t do this. They are just trying to sell you a home. They are not looking out for you. HVAC age is found on the unit. Also a good inspector will pull the permits before inspection. The inspector can tell you the age of all important house features.
Old 04-12-2021, 08:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathyspear View Post
Just in case you are not aware, Florida insurance companies are refusing to insure homes if the roof is ~ 15 years old or older. If you find a house with an older roof you will have to pay for a new one unless you can negotiate with the sellers to pay or split the cost with you.

Good luck with your home search.

kathy
I have a friend who runs his home, his life as a business accountant. I was shocked to discover he knows how many rolls of toilet paper he and his wife use. Aside, she uses far more than he does-HUH?

In any case, I was shocked. We mostly all have ranch style homes. Translates to large roof per square foot. His home is not particularly large a typical tar shingle roof runs like 25,000-OUCH
Old 04-12-2021, 08:32 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmarkwald View Post
The Villages themselves were built up one by one, so nearly every home in a village is going to be the same age. Easy to find out by viewing details on Zillow for the home, or neighbor's home...
That's right. Some of the last houses built just north of 466a were in 2008. There was a problem with some shingles made by Owens-Corning, so some of the roofs were replaced in 2014 by Owens Corning. I think this also happened in some neighborhoods located in Fruitland Park recently by another shingle manufacturer.

Our roof was replaced by Owens Corning so it is 6 years newer.
Old 04-12-2021, 08:35 AM
Send a message via AIM to joelfmi
Default Be very carefull in buying at the villiages unless You have the house inspected.

[BY a licensed and certified home construction inspector which will check your roof, foundation, Plumbing, electrical, foundation, sink holes, windows, doors, asbestos.& the attic.
Old 04-12-2021, 08:41 AM

Should be responsibility of seller, don’t sign without a independent inspection. PS : Sales Agent will tell you anything, don’t trust anyone!
Old 04-12-2021, 08:44 AM
Gold member

To check building permits in Marion County---->>Marion County Building Department-Permitting Inquiry
Old 04-12-2021, 09:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathyspear View Post
Just in case you are not aware, Florida insurance companies are refusing to insure homes if the roof is ~ 15 years old or older. If you find a house with an older roof you will have to pay for a new one unless you can negotiate with the sellers to pay or split the cost with you.

Good luck with your home search.

kathy
Unless you have a metal or tile roof.
Old 04-12-2021, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebartle View Post
Unless you have a metal or tile roof.
?? I didn't think a metal or tile roof was allowed in TV...
Old 04-12-2021, 10:03 AM

Quote:

As a realtor myself when I have a seller the first thing I acquire is age of roof, A/C, appliances etc in order to inform buyers and their realtors.
Old 04-12-2021, 10:14 AM
Veteran member

Quote:

If that is your realtor, I would choose another. Those are fundamental questions and someone is being either lazy or deceptive.

Tags
realtor, county, hvac, roof, age

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.