How could you write a rental agreement...

Closed Thread
Old 02-08-2013, 06:56 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tv2016 View Post
There are exemptions to the fair housing act. A landlord who rents three or fewer single-family homes is exempt.
If you want to rent your single family home and discriminate go for it
Old 02-08-2013, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpusX1 View Post
If you want to rent your single family home and discriminate go for it
My point was to share information, not to support discrimination. In fact, I personally find discrimination quite offensive. I'm sure many of us strive to treat everyone fairly and continue to learn and grow as our society continues to evolve.

Some information about the Fair Housing Act and its exceptions (and exceptions to the exceptions!):

Civil Rights Division Home Page
Old 02-08-2013, 08:22 PM
Default How Could You Write a Rental Agreement....

When we rented in 2007, it was through The Villages and then through a property manager the other years. We did remit a $500.00 deposit in all cases and knew that we would be liable for any damage more than just the use of the place. We believed this community to be age restricted too. These people should be held responsible for any damage done to the home. I would have hoped that the owner of the home was smart enough to take a healthy deposit.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:09 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybo View Post
I don’t know for a fact Bogie, but I believe that homeowners in an age-restricted community can legally require their renters to be 55+. The HOPA requirements (80% of homes with one occupant 55+) are the minimum requirements for a community to maintain their HOPA status. But each community can enact more stringent rules. For instance a community may require that 100% of the homes are occupied by one person 55+ or they could require that every resident be 55+. So it seems logical to me that an individual homeowner in The Villages could refuse to rent to someone under 55, without running afoul of age discrimination laws. In fact, in the unlikely event that the ratio of 55+ in TV were to ever get close to dipping below the 80% rule, The Villages might actually require homeowners to ensure that at least on renter is 55+...otherwise TV could lose their HOPA status.
This wannabee has rented four times in TV -- twice in 2011 when I was age 50 and age 51 and twice in 2012 when I was age 51 and age 52. When I inquire about rentals I always tell the landlords that I am not yet 55. Not being 55 has not been an issue with any of the landlords I have rented from. I have always left the rental homes clean and tidy with no damage, and I have always gotten my security deposit back. I am hoping to rent again in TV in the late spring or early summer (the good Lord willing and the creek don't rise).

If a landlord in TV wanted references I could certainly provide some. And if they want to verify my employment and credit history, I would be glad to provide that information.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:57 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schaumburger View Post
This wannabee has rented four times in TV -- twice in 2011 when I was age 50 and age 51 and twice in 2012 when I was age 51 and age 52. When I inquire about rentals I always tell the landlords that I am not yet 55. Not being 55 has not been an issue with any of the landlords I have rented from. I have always left the rental homes clean and tidy with no damage, and I have always gotten my security deposit back. I am hoping to rent again in TV in the late spring or early summer (the good Lord willing and the creek don't rise).

If a landlord in TV wanted references I could certainly provide some. And if they want to verify my employment and credit history, I would be glad to provide that information.
Schaumburger, I wasn't trying to infer that people under 55 aren't good renters or shouldn't be allowed to rent here. Not at all. The question was asked ... could a homeowner here legally refuse to rent to someone based on their age, and in fact the "age" being discussed were people in their 20's, not their 50's. I was just giving my opinion that I *think*, in an age-restricted community, it would be legal for homeowners to refuse to rent to someone under 55, if they so choose.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:10 PM
Sage

Looks like the "us" (55 and over) vs. "them" (young adults) argument again. You don't think meth labs aren't ever run by 55 and overs?
Old 02-09-2013, 10:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougB View Post
Looks like the "us" (55 and over) vs. "them" (young adults) argument again. You don't think meth labs aren't ever run by 55 and overs?
Nope. I don't BECAUSE most folks running a meth lab are addicted and they don't live to be 55 or older.

How's that reasoning....and in case you think I'm wrong, look at that picture AGAIN of the 25 year old girl who was busted.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:42 PM
Sage

Sorry, but I think your reasoning is flawed if you do not believe SOME meth labs are run by those 55 and over.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougB View Post
Sorry, but I think your reasoning is flawed if you do not believe SOME meth labs are run by those 55 and over.
I missed your point here somewhere. This is a community designed for the over 55 crowd in mind.

By Glory, if they are gonna run a meth lab here they had better be over 55.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:12 PM
Sage

Hey, I'm with you on that!
Old 02-23-2013, 06:49 PM

It's wise to invest in a background and credit check of prospective tenants and clearly state in leasing agreement exactly who will be living there.

Regardless of how much due diligence a property owner does, there's no guarantees. People violate agreements all the time and many agreements are non-enforceable once it hits the fan.

A homeowner who rents their property needs an advocate who lives in the neighborhood to keep watch or they should hire a rental property manager to avoid possible misuse of their home.
Old 02-23-2013, 07:44 PM
Veteran member

The key to the 80% rule is homeOWNERS not homeRENTERS.
When I BUY a home, they apply the rule.
The homeowner can then rent to whomever they want.
I owned a rental home for 6 years here in TV. Many times our home was rented to people under 55. Mostly, they were visiting family that owned homes here.
Old 02-23-2013, 08:06 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayschic View Post
The key to the 80% rule is homeOWNERS not homeRENTERS.
When I BUY a home, they apply the rule.
The homeowner can then rent to whomever they want.
I owned a rental home for 6 years here in TV. Many times our home was rented to people under 55. Mostly, they were visiting family that owned homes here.
That is incorrect. The Federal law which governs 55+ communities applies to occupants, it doesn't matter if they are owners or renters. See the answer to question 21 of the following link. Edited to add: Question 22 also applies to the topic of renters.

http://portal.hud.gov/hudportal/docu...d=DOC_7769.pdf

Last edited by Skybo; 02-23-2013 at 08:58 PM.
Old 02-23-2013, 09:53 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybo View Post
That is incorrect. The Federal law which governs 55+ communities applies to occupants, it doesn't matter if they are owners or renters. See the answer to question 21 of the following link. Edited to add: Question 22 also applies to the topic of renters.

http://portal.hud.gov/hudportal/docu...d=DOC_7769.pdf
Very interesting, Skybo.
Thanks for educating me. That makes it extremely difficult to track the 80/20 rule. Thanks for posting.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:16 PM
Veteran member

You're welcome. The good news is...you (as a homeowner) don't have to worry about the ages of your renters. It is up to TV to track and report that data. I can only assume that the known occupancy ratio of 55+ is so far over the required 80%, that rentals aren't (at least for the time-being) much of a concern to TV.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.